PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Future Extension for Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Cooks always under attack by patriots fans?

Only 24 years old and posted a 1100 yard season in his first year in a complex patriots offense

These statements are patently false.

Please post any clips that shows Cooks doing either- I'm waiting.

There have been several deep passes the last few games where Cooks didn't attack the ball, miss-timed his stretch/jump, etc.

But find me a single video of Cooks attacking the ball, out-jumping a defender, or making a "oh wow" kind of catch at all. I get his speed and yada yada, but he's just another short, soft receiver. I'll trade the elite speed for someone who can out-jump and out fight DBs for the ball...

Only 24 years old and posted a 1100 yard season in his first year in a complex patriots offense

Because what sticks with most is a) the first round pick and b) his abysmal third down conversation / catch rate on paper. His limited route tree doesnt help much either.

On the other hand, he is getting his job done because he has big enough numbers and success for other teams to gameplan for him. So he effects coverages and creates space even when not targeted more so than other decoys.

Right now for me all this is good value. On a market-price deal? Not sure.

Because the bar for pretty much any non-slot WR seems to be 2007 Randy Moss to a lot of posters.

15 players in the NFL went over 1000 receiving yards this season (13 WR 2 TE). Cooks was one of the 13 WRs. *****ing and moaning is fun, apparently.

I am looking at the value he is likely to earn when he hits free agency relative to his productivity and contributions as a Patriot (which is good, but not Gronk-like). Its not that I'm biased as you say, just being realistic.

Let's not pretend that WR'ers inferior to Cooks are making insane money (See Devante Adams) and be afraid to call them out as being "dumb", or worse.
It'll be interesting to see what he gets.

Because what sticks with most is a) the first round pick and b) his abysmal third down conversation / catch rate on paper. His limited route tree doesnt help much either.

On the other hand, he is getting his job done because he has big enough numbers and success for other teams to gameplan for him. So he effects coverages and creates space even when not targeted more so than other decoys.

Right now for me all this is good value. On a market-price deal? Not sure.
For some reason, people are overthinking this quite a bit. This is why this question will likely go unanswered until we see how he looks next season in year two of the system.

There have been several deep passes the last few games where Cooks didn't attack the ball, miss-timed his stretch/jump, etc.

But find me a single video of Cooks attacking the ball, out-jumping a defender, or making a "oh wow" kind of catch at all. I get his speed and yada yada, but he's just another short, soft receiver. I'll trade the elite speed for someone who can out-jump and out fight DBs for the ball...

When you are running full speed one direction, you cannot just stop on a dime, reverse direction and then fight a DB who is trailing. It is not possible.

Maybe I haven't paid much attention to Cooks. He's not a guy I'd break the bank for. There are great receivers coming out of college every year. And it's not like the Pats dont' have guys that can get open and catch the ball. They find them every year and on the cheap too. And they produce.

People just expect more from him. Yes, he’s a 1000 yard receiver but so was Wes and Edelman. The difference is Cooks will want to be paid similar to the best wrs. Lafell and Floyd almost hit 1000 yards too. Cooks is fast but some are right in that he doesn’t track the ball that great. That gif posted was him just waiting for the ball to come to him. He’s a good wr though, just not among the best.

To be honest I expected more from him this year. I expected him to take over games when Gronk was double teamed and aside from Houston that didn't really happen. He was not a bust by any means but he seemed to be closer to Brandon Lloyd than Randy Moss production-wise. He just doesn't seem to track the ball, fight for the ball, or make a play on third down. I just feel like he will be looking for Deandre Hopkins money but he is no where near that level.

Why is Randy Moss even mentioned regarding cooks? Why compare Cooks to the most physically gifted WR who ever played the game? Also, Cooks put up total yards very close to what Moss did when moss was 24 years old.

The pats got 1st seed with Cooks a starting WR. He may not be worth 15 a year but I fail to see why people are complaining about the guy considering he has stated he loves it here etc..

Because many including RKK thought we would be getting a similar explosive playmaker added to the offense.

He’s a good wr though, just not among the best.

He was 10th WR in yards, 7th in yards per reception in his 1st year in the most difficult system in the NFL. Plus his team got the number one seed and some of that had to do with what Cooks did off the score sheet.

So while there are 10 or so guys who put up better numbers on their teams that dosent mean that these 10 or so guys would have come on the Pats and fit in. And 9 out of those 10 are done for the season.

Because many including RKK thought we would be getting a similar explosive playmaker added to the offense.
We should repeat 100 times. There is NO playmaker similar to Randy Moss, the most explosive WR to have ever played the game.

Really? Why would anyone think that and why would one expect some gaudy numbers when the Pats success comes from spreading the ball around given how many legit receiving targets the team has i.e Gronk, Hogan, DA, White, Lewis, etc.

I think there are people here would be happier if Cooks went 100/1500 but the team lost in the division round. I would rather they spread the ball around and win games and have a guy other team have to respect who will make a big play when needed and gets the system and is a great locker room guy.

Too many Madden fans here.

Why is Randy Moss even mentioned regarding cooks? Why compare Cooks to the most physically gifted WR who ever played the game? Also, Cooks put up total yards very close to what Moss did when moss was 24 years old.

@24 years old Moss had to deal with Spergon Wynn throwing him the ball for the last 3 games(during which he totaled 53 yards). If you extend the previous 13 games where he had competent QBs(Culpepper and Todd Bouman:eek:) he would have had 1440 yards; 350 more than cooks.

Also remember than when Moss was 24 defenses could still play defense.

Cooks might not be a hall of fame WR. He sucks!
/s

@24 years old Moss had to deal with Spergon Wynn throwing him the ball for the last 3 games(during which he totaled 53 yards). If you extend the previous 13 games where he had competent QBs(Culpepper and Todd Bouman:eek:) he would have had 1440 yards; 350 more than cooks.

Also remember than when Moss was 24 defenses could still play defense.

I did not realize Dante was out and yes the NFL was different but we are still talking about Moss here and what Cooks did was still very solid when you look at the whole body of work, the pats philosophy, and the grand results.

Cooks is helping the team out above and beyond the box score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST