PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Future Extension for Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, by all means, lets bury a kid who puts up 3 1000+ yard seasons before he turns 25. Seems legit to me.
He is going to want, and somebody will probably be dumb enough to give him DeAndre Hopkins or Davante Adams money. It’s not about burying him, The Pats are just not going to offer him that kind of money. They might offer him 5 year 50 million but he won’t take that.

Brandin Cooks does do his job in the Patriots Offensive scheme... he draws the Best CB and also gets a Safety shade... that's two guys right there. I hope he improves his route running from now on.:cool:

He is going to want, and somebody will probably be dumb enough to give him DeAndre Hopkins or Davante Adams money. It’s not about burying him, The Pats are just not going to offer him that kind of money. They might offer him 5 year 50 million but he won’t take that.
You are basing this on what?

The guy does ok. This offense is not a simple one to figure out. The schemes are bizzare. For a first year I feel like he should be kept. I think expecting him to be another Moss is just not fair. Antonio Brown is not another Moss.
I think we’re going to lose at least one weapon on offense tho. Can’t see how the money to keep cooks beyond next year and Lewis. I need to look into when Edelman is a free agent

This issue is very unlikely to be an issue for this off-season. Cooks could be the future at $15M a year, or not.

2018: Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Dorsett, Britt, Mitchell

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of cooks. he has alligator arms. and is a finesse player that lacks toughness IMHO.

You're wrong. He is very tough. He simply lacks size, he's very small so he can't take big hits without getting injured...

Because of his style of play he is not injury prone..and we can depend on him being out there every week. When's the last time Cooks missed a game?

Love Julian to death he's a patriots hall of famer... but he's on the wrong side of 30 and takes a ton of big hits..not a recipe for an aging WR

The salaries that WRers (similar age and stats) tend to get on the open market vs. Cooks contribution to the Pats.
You saying someone" is dumb enough " shows your bias against Cooks.

The guy does ok. This offense is not a simple one to figure out. The schemes are bizzare. For a first year I feel like he should be kept. I think expecting him to be another Moss is just not fair. Antonio Brown is not another Moss.
I think we’re going to lose at least one weapon on offense tho. Can’t see how the money to keep cooks beyond next year and Lewis. I need to look into when Edelman is a free agent
It still astounds me how fans are *****ing about a 24 year old WR w 1000yds and 60catches and 7tds in YEAR ONE in this offense.

Only Moss and Welker can make those claims.

Brandin Cooks does do his job in the Patriots Offensive scheme... he draws the Best CB and also gets a Safety shade... that's two guys right there. I hope he improves his route running from now on.:cool:

I have to acknowledge it PF2, the Prozac has worked wonders for you. Good to see.

Just seems like Cooks is always put under a microscope by some pats fans on this forum.

Why?

I'm not a big fan of cooks. he has alligator arms. and is a finesse player that lacks toughness and versatility IMHO.

Alligator arms only apply to players afraid to cross the middle. Cooks hasn't exhibited that, one bit.

Why couldn’t he be a faster version of Deion Branch, though? I mean, what’s stopping him?

We have him under contract through spring of 2019 since they’ve already picked up his fifth year option. At the end of next season I imagine they’ll see just how much he’s improved upon his first year in 2017. I think some of that will include things like running more precise and complete routes, as well as working on the timing/back shoulder type of stuff.

If they’re going to keep him and pay him good money, they’ll almost certainly want him to improve. Just my opinion.

Cooks lacks the courage to go over middle. He prefers to play outside the numbers. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize he is a low courage player and design plays (like we have) for him to run just part of the route tree.

Branch, on the other hand, ran the whole route tree and he and Brady saw defensive alignment exactly the same.

Cooks lacks the courage to go over middle. He prefers to play outside the numbers. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize he is a low courage player and design plays (like we have) for him to run just part of the route tree.

Branch, on the other hand, ran the whole route tree and he and Brady saw defensive alignment exactly the same.
Fair enough. I think it’s quite possible that we may see an improvement on some of these things after year one. Maybe he doesn’t go over the middle as much, but he most certainly has run some nice crossing routes this year. I think we may see more of a complete receiver than you’re giving credit to, once he has another full offseason with Brady. We’ll have to see if he improves or not, but I’m very hopeful.

Alligator arms only apply to players afraid to cross the middle. Cooks hasn't exhibited that, one bit.
I think he meant cooks doesnt extend his arms enough

It still astounds me how fans are *****ing about a 24 year old WR w 1000yds and 60catches and 7tds in YEAR ONE in this offense.

Only Moss and Welker can make those claims.

I cannot emphasize this post enough. What the faulk people!

Cooks has had a hard season. If you told me start of the season he’d have 1100 yards and 7tds I would of took it. We’ve had Edelman out as well which hasn’t helped Cooks either.

I want us to keep cooks, he’s only going to improve in this offense. He’s had a season to learn it and has put very good numbers up. Oh and he’s only 24!!! There are WRs coming out of the draft the same age as him.

I cannot emphasize this post enough. What the faulk people!
No one saying he is elite or doesn't have holes in his game.

At the end of the day this offense is better with him than without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes