PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Future Extension for Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With recent WRs getting long term extensions, what do we see for Cooks getting one in the next year? Since he'll only be 25 by the time when negotiations start, that might be something to take into consideration. Personally, I feel that this is the rare WR that Bill will ever overspend on due to a combination of his age, speed, and increasing chemistry with Brady. Hopefully its a 4 or 5 year deal with a yearly salary around 11 or 12 mill?

FWIW ...

For unknown reasons, the link to the RapSheet tweet doesn't seem to be working, so ...

"With his 1-year deal this year, Alshon Jeffery will earn about $10M. In his new extension, he gets $27M guaranteed from the #Eagles. That’s a $37M commitment, which isn’t bad for a player who hasn’t had a 1,000-yard season since 2014."

The deal is being reported as 4 years, $52M total.

Last edited:
With recent WRs getting long term extensions, what do we see for Cooks getting one in the next year? Since he'll only be 25 by the time when negotiations start, that might be something to take into consideration. Personally, I feel that this is the rare WR that Bill will ever overspend on due to a combination of his age, speed, and increasing chemistry with Brady. Hopefully its a 4 or 5 year deal with a yearly salary around 11 or 12 mill?

He could get substantially more than that on the open market.

i think if you get better than 5/60/35 you'd be doing pretty well for yourself, tbh.

He's going to get paid (better than Jeffery I would imagine). And I think by the Patriots, the way he was coveted by BB even before the trade. He has Antonio Brown size (and talent/potential IMO), crazy speed, and (somehow) just turned 24 a couple months ago. Very quietly, he has the 6th-most yards in the NFL this year despite having far fewer receptions than any of the dudes above him. It's a big investment, but a good one.

Pats seem to be offering deals in which have a good amount of money guaranteed but also have a big chunk of it tied to availability and performance.

With that said that is not how Gilmore's deal is structured at all.

I can see a generous signing bonus and because of his age, front-loaded and allow for him to be a FA at 29.

Another aspect of this is in Year 3 of his new deal, he might be concerned with who will be throwing balls to him?

It'll be a very interesting negotiation.

Pats seem to be offering deals in which have a good amount of money guaranteed but also have a big chunk of it tied to availability and performance.

I can see a generous signing bonus and because of his age, front-loaded and allow for him to be a FA at 29.

Another aspect of this is in Year 3 of his new deal, he might be concerned with who will be throwing balls to him?

He said he wants to be here for life, for whatever that's worth. Maybe it doesn't matter who's throwing balls to him as much at that point? It SHOULD, but maybe it doesn't.

Comps might be:

Antonio Brown: $17M APY, $19M gtd
... signed 2017 at age 29, UFA 2022

DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2M APY, $36.5M gtd
... signed 2017 at age 25, UFA 2023

AJ Green: $15M APY, $26.75M gtd
... signed 2015 at age 27, UFA 2020

Julio Jones: $14.25M APY, $35.5M gtd
... signed 2015 at age 26, UFA 2021

Demaryius Thomas: $14M APY, $35M gtd
... signed 2015 at age 28, UFA 2020

Dez Bryant, .. $14M APY, $32M gtd

He might also be concerned with who the HC is.

He doesn't strike me as a diva who wants to be the highest paid WR at all costs and I take by his instagram posts that he's really enjoying Boston, so if his options in free agency are ****holes like Oakland or Cleveland he may offer a bit of a discount but he is gonna get paid no matter what, he is that good.

I can totally understand if he chooses money though, it must be nice to have millions of dollars in the bank account and live in Florida, New York or LA.

Comps might be:

I like Cooks but would take the top 3 on this list over him tomorrow. He is a burner...a bit limited in his role.

I played WR all my life. I love the position, I love how much one reception can mean for a victory

That being said, WR is THE most overrated position in the NFL. Even in a great day, a WR would only touch the ball close to 10% of the offensive snaps. Even a great WR becomes useless if there isn't a QB to throw him the ball or an OL who gives the QB time to throw.

You can receive similar production out of cheaper contracts VERY easily. One example doesn't prove the point, but take last years Championship games: Julio Jones and Chris Hogan both had 186 yards (don't remember if they had the same number of catches, but it was close).

Great WRs can't change a game by themselves. Think of great WRs that simply couldn't elevate their teams alone, recent examples: Calvin Johnson, AJ Green.

In the era of the salary cap, i think it's a plain mistake to pay a WR too much money for too long. This money could be better distributed to other areas and you can get performance out of cheap WR. I've actually done some research on this: The last time a team with a WR that took more than 10% of the cap won the Super Bowl was in 2006, with the Colts (Marvin Harrison).

I love Cooks. He's a great player, but I would not pay top dollar for him or any other WR.

Last edited:
He said he wants to be here for life, for whatever that's worth. Maybe it doesn't matter who's throwing balls to him as much at that point? It SHOULD, but maybe it doesn't.
I tend to think he is being genuine but for him to say something else wouldn't be a smart move.

He doesn't strike me as a diva who wants to be the highest paid WR at all costs and I take by his instagram posts that he's really enjoying Boston, so if his options in free agency are ****holes like Oakland or Cleveland he may offer a bit of a discount but he is gonna get paid no matter what, he is that good.

I can totally understand if he chooses money though, it must be nice to have millions of dollars in the bank account and live in Florida, New York or LA.
Especially FL where 8 of your games are income tax free.

Comps might be:

Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant are dog fakers.

I’d sign him one way or another. Cooks and Lewis are like must sign guys. Would break the bank but would be willing to go pretty far to get boh

I like Cooks but would take the top 3 on this list over him tomorrow. He is a burner...a bit limited in his role.

Well, Cooks is still five years younger than Brown and Green. He's also clicking with Brady already and there's no guarantee that any of the other three would be able to do that.

"A Cooks in the hand ..."

Either Baker Mayfield or Luke Falk

Neither am I. But then, BB is a full two months older than I am!

BB has a few more years in him in THIS situation. I think if he needed to take over a 0-16 team which was dearth of talent, bad cap situation, w/o a franchise QB and inexperienced FO and coordinators, I'm not sure how he'd do.

I'm up there in age as well and I know as I get older I have less patience and energy than I did when I was in my 30s. Its just part of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back