PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Barnwell's five things the Patriots need to do to improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
$16 million a year to Brandin Cooks, $11 million to Trey Flowers and $9 million to Shaq Mason.

Why'll we're at it, why not just throw $10 mill a piece to Dion and Rex to stay and give Brady and Gronk blank checks and let them have whatever they want, since money is no object.

New England Patriots
1. Pick up the fifth-year option for Malcom Brown. The Texas product hasn't grown into a star defensive lineman for the Patriots, but Brown has been a three-year starter for the Pats and serves as a valuable part of their rotation on the interior. The Patriots might not necessarily think about signing Brown to an extension this offseason, but keeping him around for 2019 is a no-brainer.

2. Clear out cap space. There are a few obvious moves for the Pats to make. Martellus Bennett won't be back at a cap number of $6.2 million, nor will backup tight end Dwayne Allen, who has a $5 million salary. New England also won't pick up Alan Branch's option after the defensive tackle fell out of the rotation, freeing up an additional $3.6 million. Finally, David Harris might retire but won't be around for 2018 at his current cap hit of $2.8 million. Cutting those four guys would free up just under $17 million and push the Pats to $34 million in free space.

3. Extend Brandin Cooks. The 24-year-old is entering the fifth-year option of his rookie deal, and while the Patriots don't typically pay wideouts No. 1 receiver money, Cooks might be an exception. The Patriots likely will change their offense some after Rob Gronkowski retires, a move that could come as early as this offseason. In the absence of a replacement for Gronk -- and there might not be a player in football history who is similar to him -- the Pats will think about replacing their star tight end as the long-term focal point of their offense with a star wideout.

Cooks probably isn't in line to come away with the sort of top-tier deals Odell Beckham Jr. and Mike Evans are about to sign, but he won't be far off. The five-year, $81 million extension DeAndre Hopkins signed last August should be similar to whatever deal Cooks ends up signing, whether that's in New England or elsewhere.

4. Extend Trey Flowers and Shaq Mason. The Patriots' two best selections from the 2015 draft were actually fourth-rounders. Flowers has emerged as a steady pass-rusher for the Patriots, and while he mustered only 6.5 sacks in 14 games last season, the 25 knockdowns Flowers registered suggest he has double-digit sack potential in 2018. And though Mason's final memory of the 2017 season might be getting beaten by Brandon Graham on that critical strip sack of Tom Brady in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl, he improved noticeably over the course of the campaign and was New England's best lineman at any spot for most of the year.

Both Flowers and Mason will be unrestricted free agents after the 2018 season, and while the Patriots have them both on bargain-basement rookie contracts this year, it would make sense for them to at least try to extend both before free agency. Flowers' low sack totals might help keep his price tag down. I wonder if the Patriots might be able to secure the 24-year-old on a deal with an average annual salary of $10 million to $11 million. Mason should come in slightly cheaper, as he'll be closer to $8 million to $9 million per year.

5. Address left tackle. Mason and Marcus Cannon, whose 2017 seasons were riddled by injuries, will be manning the right side of the Patriots' line in 2018. Joe Thuney is a useful run-blocking guard on the other side. David Andrews is signed to a low-cost, long-term deal at center. Four of the five spots are set for the Pats in 2018.

Left tackle? That's wide-open. Nate Solder is a free agent, and there's a chance the 29-year-old could step away from football as his young son fights cancer. Cannon could move to the left side, but the Patriots replaced him in 2017 with a rotation of Cameron Fleming and LaAdrian Waddle, who were ineffective and are now both free agents. The Patriots drafted a possible replacement for Solder last year -- third-rounder Antonio Garcia -- but the Troy product is a project who missed his entire rookie season with an undisclosed injury. It would be risky at best to protect Brady's blind side with Garcia.

Jason Peters and Jared Veldheer would make sense as short-term options who are likely to be released by their current employers. The Patriots also might look to draft a tackle with the 31st or 43rd overall selections in this year's draft.

Yeah, the idea of extending all three of Cooks, Mason, and Flowers is already pie in the sky level thinking, let alone them doing it a year ahead of time with all of their upcoming FAs.

We’d see better analysis from a 6th grader who follows the team on a casual basis.

Yeah, the idea of extending all three of Cooks, Mason, and Flowers is already pie in the sky level thinking, let alone them doing it a year ahead of time with all of their upcoming FAs.

We’d see better analysis from a 6th grader who follows the team on a casual basis.

Extending Cooks would certainly lower his 2018 cap hit. Maybe by as much as 50% ($4.3M).

Extending Flowers and Mason can only increase their 2018 cap hits, probably by more than $4.3M combined.

Still, the three put together might come within, say, $2M-$3M of being a wash.

I don't think multiple in-house re-ups is pie in the sky, especially if BB is sold on those kinds of players for the future. You can't really wait on Cooks. The price goes up and up, so they just need to come with a fairly strong deal to nail it down.

Mason should be easier. As should Bolden and guys like that who simply love playing in NE and are essentially on one year retainer deals.

Harrison, Jean-Francois made cases for new 1 year deals, maybe with a 2nd year option, and again, if they want to be there, it makes sense for both sides. I would view those as good re-ups.

Lewis is probably gone and he should cash in. He's never finished a season this entire time, so he'll likely go shopping. Target a developmental scatback in the draft for White to help tutor and maybe be creative in 2nd tier FA and someone. Who knows, maybe DJ Foster gets cut in Arizona under the new coaching staff?

Solder is a sketchy one, but we'll see. Maybe he'll do the Bruschi routine in as a last transition year over to Garcia, like Bruschi did for BB with Mayo in 2008? I am hearing Horseteeth may throw money at Solder, and to mess with BB. So, keep any eye on that.

Barnwell is sort of a moron when it comes to his Waddle/Fleming analysis. I don't know too many teams going down to their 3rd and 4th string Tackles in a postseason where they play pretty well, certainly well enough in the SB, too, where Brady torched the Philly D, and then calling their play "ineffective".

Just clueless analysis there.

I would sign the guys I listed above and Marquis Flowers as well. The quicker all of these contracts get on the books at once, the easier it is to move forward in FA and the draft plans.

The option on Brown is a no brainer, but to be honest, I am not sure if he is an extendable guy at this point, unless they can get him on good money, the latter certainly possible. He's good, but in no way elite.

I am not expecting any out of the organization splashes from BB, as the money needs to stay pretty much in house.

People are acting like this team was healthy last year and they really weren't. Get healthy, make the tweaks, draft well and you're probably right back in the title game again next year.

I would say, resign Burkhead, but I am still stunned over the lack of his use more so in the postseason and Super Bowl. Still stunned over it. What am I missing where they think he didn't need more touches?

Last edited:
I can see Brady reconstructing his contract and D-Mac possibly a long shot could be Gilmore but think he deserves to be paid.

If Brady and D-Mac reconstruct that could give us $9 Mill plus cutting Bennett and Allen, amongst others we could have some nice cap space.

I think this franchise is almost poised for a strategic step backward. Our core is getting fairly old. We're trying to squeeze one last title out for Brady's sake, but that's going to get harder and harder as key pieces deteriorate and become injury prone.

Wouldn't be surprised if this offseason winds up being something of a disappointment. Bill has been rolling the dice the last couple years but it may be time for the long-term view to reassert itself a bit, give the roster enough to be competitive but ramp down a bit for a rebuild in the medium term while we draft the next generation of players and regenerate the roster, similar to 09-13.

If it doesn't happen this year, it's probably coming soon.

I don't think multiple in-house re-ups is pie in the sky, especially if BB is sold on those kinds of players for the future. You can't really wait on Cooks. The price goes up and up, so they just need to come with a fairly strong deal to nail it down.

Mason should be easier. As should Bolden and guys like that who simply love playing in NE and are essentially on one year retainer deals.

Harrison, Jean-Francois made cases for new 1 year deals, maybe with a 2nd year option, and again, if they want to be there, it makes sense for both sides. I would view those as good re-ups.

Lewis is probably gone and he should cash in. He's never finished a season this entire time, so he'll likely go shopping. Target a developmental scatback in the draft for White to help tutor and maybe be creative in 2nd tier FA and someone. Who knows, maybe DJ Foster gets cut in Arizona under the new coaching staff?

Solder is a sketchy one, but we'll see. Maybe he'll do the Bruschi routine in as a last transition year over to Garcia, like Bruschi did for BB with Mayo in 2008? I am hearing Horseteeth may throw money at Solder, and to mess with BB. So, keep any eye on that.

Barnwell is sort of a moron when it comes to his Waddle/Fleming analysis. I don't know too many teams going down to their 3rd and 4th string Tackles in a postseason where they play pretty well, certainly well enough in the SB, too, where Brady torched the Philly D, and then calling their play "ineffective".

Just clueless analysis there.

I would sign the guys I listed above and Marquis Flowers as well. The quicker all of these contracts get on the books at once, the easier it is to move forward in FA and the draft plans.

The option on Brown is a no brainer, but to be honest, I am not sure if he is an extendable guy at this point, unless they can get him on good money, the latter certainly possible. He's good, but in no way elite.

I am not expecting any out of the organization splashes from BB, as the money needs to stay pretty much in house.

People are acting like this team was healthy last year and they really weren't. Get healthy, make the tweaks, draft well and you're probably right back in the title game again next year.

I would say, resign Burkhead, but I am still stunned over the lack of his use more so in the postseason and Super Bowl. Still stunned over it. What am I missing where they think he didn't need more touches?
I think you’re a bit confused on the idea of his article. Just like the idea of us retaining Chandler Jones, Collins, Butler and HT was a popular thought a couple of years ago, so too is the idea of keeping ALL three major free agents for 2019.

Cooks will demand top dollar, as will Trey Flowers as a DE. Both of those are easily 12+ million dollar a year pacts, and possibly much more (especially if you listen to the author of the article). Shaq Mason is most definitely not a “much easier” signing for next spring. He’s quickly growing into one of the top guards in the game. It’s actually quite possible that all three of these players will command 12+ million dollar deals. Regardless, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll be able to afford all three, and the idea of being able to do it a full year ahead of time with all of the free agents we have this year is just absurd.

Extending Cooks would certainly lower his 2018 cap hit. Maybe by as much as 50% ($4.3M).

Extending Flowers and Mason can only increase their 2018 cap hits, probably by more than $4.3M combined.

Still, the three put together might come within, say, $2M-$3M of being a wash.
I don’t mind the idea of it being a wash for cap purposes, but it’s ridiculous to think that we’d be able to reach an acceptable middle ground on all 3 mega deals, and even more ridiculous to think that they’d somehow be able to do it a full year early—as if there aren’t important decisions and plenty of players that need to come before spring 2019.

Just off the top of my head in addition to all of our free agents that take priority since they’re actually free agents in a few weeks, I can think of both Brady and Gronkowski who would almost certainly come before any of these 3 players listed in 2019. I’ll be damn happy to get one of them signed before next spring.

I don’t mind the idea of it being a wash for cap purposes, but it’s ridiculous to think that we’d be able to reach an acceptable middle ground on all 3 mega deals, and even more ridiculous to think that they’d somehow be able to do it a full year early—as if there aren’t important decisions and plenty of players that need to come before spring 2019.

Just off the top of my head in addition to all of our free agents that take priority since they’re actually free agents in a few weeks, I can think of both Brady and Gronkowski who would almost certainly come before any of these 3 players listed in 2019. I’ll be damn happy to get one of them signed before next spring.

Yeah, I completely agree that Barnwell saying the Pats "need to" is ridiculous.

I'm just commenting that it may be financially feasible to create extensions for these three players, and the upside/downside of doing so or not doing so.

There's also a question about whether or not the Pats feel that it's in their best interests or not. For instance, it may be that the Pats think that Flowers may not get the offers that he (right now) thinks he'll get in Spring 2019, and that it would put them in a better negotiating position to let him test the market first.

Lotsa different ways these things can go, but you know that.

OTOH, I do think that the Pats personnel guys can walk and chew gum at the same time and, so, can handle what needs to be done with current in-house UFA while working on extensions at the same time. All in a (24-hour) day's work, doncha know. ;)

I think this franchise is almost poised for a strategic step backward. Our core is getting fairly old. We're trying to squeeze one last title out for Brady's sake, but that's going to get harder and harder as key pieces deteriorate and become injury prone.

Wouldn't be surprised if this offseason winds up being something of a disappointment. Bill has been rolling the dice the last couple years but it may be time for the long-term view to reassert itself a bit, give the roster enough to be competitive but ramp down a bit for a rebuild in the medium term while we draft the next generation of players and regenerate the roster, similar to 09-13.

If it doesn't happen this year, it's probably coming soon.
I wouldn’t bet on it. The core isn’t as old as the ‘07 and ‘08 groups are. This team is built to win now. Further, history has shown B.B. to be aggressive in the offseason after either a conference championship or Super Bowl loss.

$16 million a year to Brandin Cooks, $11 million to Trey Flowers and $9 million to Shaq Mason.

Why'll we're at it, why not just throw $10 mill a piece to Dion and Rex to stay and give Brady and Gronk blank checks and let them have whatever they want, since money is no object.

The cap is crap bro, don't let Belichick fool you

If he were serious about winning Super Bowls he would pay whatever it takes to keep everyone happy!

P.S. Kraft is cheap!

I wouldn’t bet on it. The core isn’t as old as the ‘07 and ‘08 groups are. This team is built to win now. Further, history has shown B.B. to be aggressive in the offseason after either a conference championship or Super Bowl loss.
Great points. I think some of the key factors that could potentially sway things between what you’re envisioning and what the poster is suggesting are the following:

—ability of Brady to continue playing well for 2, if not 3 more years

—decision made by Gronk to stay and the need to also remain healthy

—Solder needing to stay and allow a new OT to be coached up while Scar is still here

—Ability of Edelman to bounce back from injury and also retain Amendola for another year while an eye is made towards the future at the spot in 2019

—restocking of players such as McCourty and Chung

————-

If we can get 3, maybe 4 of those to happen while also being able to re-up key guys like Cooks, Mason, and Flowers, this team will be highly competitive for awhile yet.

No doubt we will be highly competitive, even the 09-13 teams were competitive, heck we went to the Superbowl in 2011. But I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Bill start to collect picks again, that's all I'm saying.

I think you’re a bit confused on the idea of his article. Just like the idea of us retaining Chandler Jones, Collins, Butler and HT was a popular thought a couple of years ago, so too is the idea of keeping ALL three major free agents for 2019.

Cooks will demand top dollar, as will Trey Flowers as a DE. Both of those are easily 12+ million dollar a year pacts, and possibly much more (especially if you listen to the author of the article). Shaq Mason is most definitely not a “much easier” signing for next spring. He’s quickly growing into one of the top guards in the game. It’s actually quite possible that all three of these players will command 12+ million dollar deals. Regardless, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll be able to afford all three, and the idea of being able to do it a full year ahead of time with all of the free agents we have this year is just absurd.

maybe, but it takes two to tango.

i forgot about trey flowers needing a deal and that is a priority.

but, if all if these names mentioned, appreciate playing here and the pats come forward with strong deals, then it can work
all at once. sure, why not?

as for mason, he is a much better run blocker than pass blocker and his allowance of the strip sack on brady late in the super bowl, does not make him the second coming of a brian waters overnight. sorry, not buying that. plus, scar’s presence is the ultimate leverage in these situations.

Last edited:
No doubt we will be highly competitive, even the 09-13 teams were competitive, heck we went to the Superbowl in 2011. But I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Bill start to collect picks again, that's all I'm saying.

the “collecting” of the picks concept is his opinion of the depth quality of the draft. it also works really well. it is not some arbitrary thing with him.

have you been watching our team in title games every year?

bb kinda knows what he is doing. he has been brilliant overall as a gm here for a long time.

Ah okay, I got you. That’s a bit different. But I agree. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some trade downs in the future and the handwringing of PatsFans.com commence.

Think the only possible issue is because its Brady's finals years, but do agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back