PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Future Extension for Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB has a few more years in him in THIS situation. I think if he needed to take over a 0-16 team which was dearth of talent, bad cap situation, w/o a franchise QB and inexperienced FO and coordinators, I'm not sure how he'd do.

I'm up there in age as well and I know as I get older I have less patience and energy than I did when I was in my 30s. Its just part of life.

Yeah, it's difficult to remember that, when BB took over the Pats, he was just a cheery, bright, callow, idealistic 48-year-old.

I think I like him better as a curmudgeon.

Yeah, it's difficult to remember that, when BB took over the Pats, he was just a cheery, bright, callow, idealistic 48-year-old.

I think I like him better as a curmudgeon.
As he has gotten older and his legacy more secure, he has become more entertaining.

1) Cooks isn't a free agent.

2) I can't see Belichick signing a WR for $14M a year.
We said the same about a cornerback Gilmore is proof for special players BB will break from his routine.

Comps might be:

Antonio Brown: $17M APY, $19M gtd
... signed 2017 at age 29, UFA 2022

DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2M APY, $36.5M gtd
... signed 2017 at age 25, UFA 2023

AJ Green: $15M APY, $26.75M gtd
... signed 2015 at age 27, UFA 2020

Julio Jones: $14.25M APY, $35.5M gtd
... signed 2015 at age 26, UFA 2021

Demaryius Thomas: $14M APY, $35M gtd
... signed 2015 at age 28, UFA 2020

Dez Bryant, .. $14M APY, $32M gtd
... signed 2015 at age 27, UFA 2020

Congrats on the PatsCap TW credit..

He has Antonio Brown size

He does indeed...is that supposed to be a good thing? I'm pretty sure that weighing in at under 5'10" and under 190 lbs isn't a big selling point. ;)

(Yes, I am aware of Cooks' many other virtues!)

Last year I would have agreed. After the Gilmore contract I stopped doing predictions on big signings as there is no real pattern with BB but similar to the game of football even managing the cap is a very situational thing. Who knows how much he values Cooks relative to how he affects defenses and enables the team to run certain concepts on offense.

He does indeed...is that supposed to be a good thing? I'm pretty sure that weighing in at under 5'10" and under 190 lbs isn't a big selling point. ;)

(Yes, I am aware of Cooks' many other virtues!)
Nope. I realize it's tough to read inflection, but the inference should have been, "If it's good enough for Antonio Brown..."

We traded a first rounder for him. If you asked pretty much anyone around these parts they'd have called you crazy for suggesting Belichick would part with that high a pick for a WR.

Not sure about 14m, but it wouldn't shock me if they did sign Cooks to a big extension.

I like Cooks a lot. That being said I am not over paying for him. His market well may be 14-16M+ a year but I don't think he is worth that. No WR is. I wouldn't take Julio Jones or Antonio Brown for 16M a year.

I think WRs compared to their value get paid about 20-25% too much on average.

What I would be willing to pay Cook in 12M a year maximum. He'll get more than that if he wants it and why wouldn't he want to be paid that much? I hope he stays here but I have no delusions about what he actually brings to the team and the price he would cost. Give me 3 Hogan's and 1 Edelman contact along with a cheap vet Amendola contract and I am happy with my 25M dollar WR core.

I like Cooks a lot. That being said I am not over paying for him. His market well may be 14-16M+ a year but I don't think he is worth that. No WR is. I wouldn't take Julio Jones or Antonio Brown for 16M a year.

I think WRs compared to their value get paid about 20-25% too much on average.

What I would be willing to pay Cook in 12M a year maximum. He'll get more than that if he wants it and why wouldn't he want to be paid that much? I hope he stays here but I have no delusions about what he actually brings to the team and the price he would cost. Give me 3 Hogan's and 1 Edelman contact along with a cheap vet Amendola contract and I am happy with my 25M dollar WR core.

I agree but think we haven't see the best of the Brady to Cooks combo yet. The timing has been getting better throughout the season. 2018 may be an even more productive season than 2017. Which means I think Cooks will become too expensive to sign here if he isn't already. But I'd love to see him stay.

Pats seem to be offering deals in which have a good amount of money guaranteed but also have a big chunk of it tied to availability and performance.

With that said that is not how Gilmore's deal is structured at all.

I can see a generous signing bonus and because of his age, front-loaded and allow for him to be a FA at 29.

Another aspect of this is in Year 3 of his new deal, he might be concerned with who will be throwing balls to him?

It'll be a very interesting negotiation.

RW, can any receiver actually say "I know who will be throwing passes to me in 2019"? Sure there's a few NFL landing spots that QB appears more settled, however and IMHO, a WR can't think out beyond 2 years on "who will be my QB" unless they've decided there's only a handful of teams they'll sign with (hurting their optimal payday chances). Plus even if he gets a decent QB for 2019 and 2020, will he end up with Barry Switzer or some other yahoo HC to blow the whole long term production plan up. Variables aplenty...

If I am Cooks I am thrilled with the situation. Next year's 5th year has been optioned at 7m(?) dollars, he'll definitely be getting passes from Tom Brady probably making 2018 look his best, then looking at 2019 UFA (worst case is the massive Franchise WR Tag money, 17million?, that's guaranteed). Currently he's solidly in the upper tier WR status with about 80 catches a year 3 years in a row, 2018 shouldn't change that, so he's looking at$$$$ multi UFA money in 2019.

One thing for sure is we are getting an absurdly great 2017 cap dollar to production deal and assuming 2018 sees the same production we still will be getting good value at 7million (given 2017 will be another approx. 80 catch season and assume 2018 is no different). But if we lose him after 2018 was a bottom of the first round pick worth the 160+ receptions at 9m over 2 years? Maybe, maybe not...

make him the 15th highest paid WR whatever the amount is.

top 10 talent with NE discounts. i can live with that.

He has Antonio Brown size.
Is that considered a good thing? I’ve never heard of an NFL WR who is 5’10” being touted for their height.

I guess he’s tall enough to perform well in his role, so that’s all that should matter.

Edit: nevermind, I see that it’s been addressed already earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
make him the 15th highest paid WR whatever the amount is.

top 10 talent with NE discounts. i can live with that.

Using his last 4 games to extrapolate the final 2017 number, Cooks is on pace for about 81 receptions. That will give him a very steady 80 or so receptions average three straight years. I believe that number puts him around 15th in avg per year receptions.
Based solely on this number (his YPC is notably growing every year) and 2017 WR salary, Cooks is looking at about 9.5million annual, give or take. So will Cooks sign a 3 year 9m avg with buku up front(something that he assumingly will get, or more, from multiple other teams)? Will the Patriots offer something in that area?

DA(3m cap hit), Jules(5m cap hit), Hogan(3.5m cap hit), Cooks(2m cap hit) -- the Patriots 2017 cap dollar to production deals with these guys is pretty amazing (injury not withstanding)

Interesting side note on per catch stats: What Wide Receiver had the highest yards per catch for the 2016 season??? Chris Hogan at 17.9

Ha! Yeah, saw that earlier ... my 15 microseconds of Internet Fame!

At least it wasn't a vimeo of me stepping in dog poo in the kitchen the other morning on my way to the coffeemaker.
Miguel proving once again what a stand up respectable guy he is. He gives credit when it’s due.

Is that considered a good thing? I’ve never heard of an NFL WR who is 5’10” being touted for their height.

I guess he’s tall enough to perform well in his role, so that’s all that should matter.

Edit: nevermind, I see that it’s been addressed already earlier in the thread.

True but 5'10" may make him a noteworthy tall WR on the Fujitsu Frontier or Obic Seagulls of the Japanese Xfootball League. Just sayin....:)

True but 5'10" may make him a noteworthy tall WR on the Fujitsu Frontier or Obic Seagulls of the Japanese Xfootball League. Just sayin....:)
I’m only 5’9,” so it’s not like I’ve got any room to talk, but I did find it ironic that someone compared his size as a strength to Antonio Brown, that’s all. Last I’d heard, guys like Edelman and Amendola weren’t considered to have good size in terms of what we look for in today’s NFL WRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes