PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Door open for Dola in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thinking, as seen in my previous post is that BB will seek to resign Floyd because he will not count against the roster until his suspension is served, and in this way is a good insurance policy in case one of our receivers go down early in the season, or for when another player goes down.

My thinking is that Floyd won't get the targets he wants for his hoped for big pay day, but under the circumstances I am still hopeful he signs with the Pats.

Assuming he and Cooks both get in sync with Brady and the playbook, this would be the strongest WR corps I can remember, and even though all six won't likely ever be active in the same game, it would increase competition as well as allow the Pats to rest any dinged up WRs, without giving up much on the field quality.

Now throw in Gronk and the receiving RBs and, well, I need to start my timer and check back in four hours.

Last edited:
At times Ive been unfairly critical of Amendola. For that I do truly take it back.

I think for me and speaking for many others im sure the loss of Welker to the Donkeys was a slap in the face. Danny was at that point his immeadiate replacement. So sadly the pressure on him was enourmous. Filling Welkers shoes and justifying the contract he was given. Its fair to say hes never lived up to the role of Slot/#2 on the depth chart. But what he lacks in Pro-Bowl numbers he mote than makes up in Mr. Clutch in post season and SuperBowl. Quite honestly the dude catches every damn ball in the post season and only gets better when the pressure is dialed up and we MUST have that 1st down or TD or a little 2pt Conversion.

Im happy to hear he and BB are both more than willing to work out a reduction/ extention. I also very much hope they bring back Michael Floyd as well. There is too much upside for such a tiny role of the dice.

Dola will obviosly enough be Injury Ins if JE11 goes down. Floyd can see plenty of playing time and brings a big-bodied WR who can help supplement Gronk if he goes down besides Dwayne Allen. Just because we got lucky last year without to many injuries to our core players doesnt mean you should act like it wont happen this year.

I just hate it when our depth charts go to **** after the injury bug wipes out what once was our strength position to now a glaring weakness. Slater should never be elevated to 2 or 3 on the depth chart...So yeah you can say im stupid or greedy but Dola and Floyd should both be here besides Cooks, Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell. I think that is a group that is very complimentary of each other and gives Brady the entire playbook on any given down/scenario

WR1 : Cooks
WR2 : Hogan
Slot : Edelman
WR3 : Floyd (Red-Zone/TE backup)
WR4 : Mitchell (still will get targets)
WR5 : Amendola (Slot2, 3rd/4th Down go to)

Couldnt hurt to give an aging Brady a receiver thats super friendly for those deep balls and go up and get it throws. Plus that block he threw in the Dolphins game to pave the way for that TD was amazing.Damn I loved that more than his TD with 3 dudes pratically raping him and refusing to go down till paydirt. Dude will be a baller for us after his suslension is done. He deserves to have Brady throwing to him as well as Amendola. Been a big fan of his and loved him coming out of Notre Dame. He could just be downright scary in a McDaniels Offense.

The Patriots ain't carrying Six WR's: Four of them don't play on ST's. I could see them moving a Dola or Floyd for a conditional pick if he resigns. IF Cyrus Jones figures it out on ST's I could see Dola easily being the odd man out. We could roll with Four guys until Floyd comes back from his Six games you know Goodhell is going to throw the book at him.

The Patriots ain't carrying Six WR's: Four of them don't play on ST's. I could see them moving a Dola or Floyd for a conditional pick if he resigns. IF Cyrus Jones figures it out on ST's I could see Dola easily being the odd man out. We could roll with Four guys until Floyd comes back from his Six games you know Goodhell is going to throw the book at him.

Why would the Patriots replace a WR who can play every role in their system and contribute on special teams every week? Floyd on the other hand won't crack the top four WRs and doesn't play STs, meaning he won't be active unless there is an injury.

Why would the Patriots replace a WR who can play every role in their system and contribute on special teams every week? Floyd on the other hand won't crack the top four WRs and doesn't play STs, meaning he won't be active unless there is an injury.

We know Dola is clutch in the Playoffs but he gets banged up some time ever year also his regular season numbers is paltry to say the least. In our last two SB win seasons though he contributed in both Off seasons he accumulated less than 250 yards in those seasons. I like Amendola but it can be said he's overrated here. That said you have to think that the Pats are going to address their Return game to take the stress off a guy like Edelman. I would rather have Michael Floyd as a back-up in the wings than Amendola going forward. Remember last year both Mitchell and Hogan passed him on our dept chart. If we resign Michael Floyd and give if a TC with Brady and our Playbook you gotta think the sky's the limit. Hey our problem is a good one to have that's what I would do if I was BB.

Last edited:
We know Dola is clutch in the Playoffs but he gets banged up some time ever year also his regular season numbers is paltry to say the least. In our last two SB win seasons though he contributed in both Off seasons he accumulated less than 250 yards in those seasons. I like Amendola but it can be said he's overrated here. That said you have to think that the Pats are going to address their Return game to take the stress off a guy like Edelman. I would rather have Michael Floyd as a back-up in the wings than Amendola going forward. Remember last year both Mitchell and Hogan passed him on our dept chart. If we resign Michael Floyd and give if a TC with Brady and our Playbook you gotta think the sky's the limit. Hey our problem is a good one to have that's what I would do if I was BB.
He offers value in terms of backing Edelman up, returning punts, and making clutch possession catches. And he knows our system inside and out, and comes on the cheap. If he takes a paycut, it will be the 3rd year in a row.

Amendola is just about everything that a guy like Michael Floyd hopes to become here. I don't agree that he's overrated.

Amendola deserves another year (it's an advantage to have someone who always delivers in big games as a 4-5th option) and I have no doubt he's gonna restructure like in previous years.

Floyd will probably be suspended for at least two games and won't count against the 53 man roster during the suspension. So it possible we will keep him as insurance policy in the beginning of the season and reevaluate the situation when it's time to activate him.

Amendola deserves another year (it's an advantage to have someone who always delivers in big games as a 4-5th option) and I have no doubt he's gonna restructure like in previous years.

Floyd will probably be suspended for at least two games and won't count against the 53 man roster during the suspension. So it possible we will keep him as insurance policy in the beginning of the season and reevaluate the situation when it's time to activate him.
He's pretty guaranteed to be suspended for 2. The question will be how many more.

Problem Solved!

Simply cut Amendola, use those financial resources elsewhere, have Brady spell Hogan & Cooks when their lined up outside the numbers while Jimmy G plays QB. This offense, along with our new
6'4 225lb threat will be UNSTOPPABLE:eek:

Not to mention that Floyd will be suspended from 2-6 games. (The CBA section on substance abuse discipline allows Roger to to give a longer-than-standard suspension when DUI has been extreme, and Floyd pled guilty to extreme DUI, not just regular DUI, so Roger has a basis to invoke that.)

This sounds terrible to say, but this could actually be a good thing, right?

After all, the way I see it Floyd would only be useful to us in case of injuries. If he got suspended for 6 games that would be great because he would be a Patriot without counting against their roster count. If an injury did occur in weeks 1 through 6 we'd be glad we had him.

Dola has been one of my favorite Patriots for at least a couple of years now. That 2pt play alone that tied the SB will always be one of my all time favorite Patriots play and I will never forget it. (the clutchness of it and how the stakes were SO high at that moment!) Everything I like about this guy has already been mentioned, the clutchness, the smarts, the toughness, the "patriotness" if you will, so there's no point in repeating what's been said already. The only thing I'm gonna say is that I think I would be really bad at GM, and even though I agree with everyone that mentioned the way the Patriots manage their roster and how we never pay for past production, even though I agree with all that, I guess I would never be able to ask that guy for a pay cut. :p

I just hope everything works out so they can have one more run together. Dola staying would be, at least for me personally, the icing on the cake for this fantastic offseason!

DA is a great asset to the team. I am not sure how much he has left in the tank but I would take him over Floyd as a #5 WR. Floyd clearly has more up side but also a risk and who knows if he will be able to pick up the playbook.

I am sure Danny will take a pay cut and remain with the team this season. When he is healthy is so dependable, he catches almost everything thrown his way. Obviously staying on the field is the hard part.

I like Amendola but it can be said he's overrated here.

I see it makes sense to add some numbers to the Danny clutch Amendola value - these from today's Reiss article should do the trick..

- in Super Bowl LI he had 8 catches for 78 yards and one touchdown
- in Super Bowl XLIX he had 5 receptions for 48 yards and one touchdown
- in eight playoff games with the Patriots he has totaled 29 receptions for 349 yards and four touchdowns. That doesn't include his work in the return game in the playoffs -- nine kickoff returns for an average of 23.7 yards, and four punt returns for a 13.5 average.

And that's without accounting that most of those yards & TDs came in most critical moments..

Danny Amendola's clutch play in big games highlights his value

I see it makes sense to add some numbers to the Danny clutch Amendola value - these from today's Reiss article should do the trick..

- in Super Bowl LI he had 8 catches for 78 yards and one touchdown
- in Super Bowl XLIX he had 5 receptions for 48 yards and one touchdown
- in eight playoff games with the Patriots he has totaled 29 receptions for 349 yards and four touchdowns. That doesn't include his work in the return game in the playoffs -- nine kickoff returns for an average of 23.7 yards, and four punt returns for a 13.5 average.

And that's without accounting that most of those yards & TDs came in most critical moments..

Danny Amendola's clutch play in big games highlights his value

Interesting...

Perhaps he accepted a paycut?

Interesting...

Is there anything else from older transactions that could account for this?

I assume if this money came from the releasing of a player we would know who before the savings hit?

This could be any player not Just DA. Time for the reporters to actually do some work.

Perhaps Butler's $3.9 came off the books while a minimum wage contract slides into the 53rd hole...or a slotted #32 rookie contract (does it work that way?)............though.....I wonder if the $3.9 is/was on the books already due to lack of a signature.
Just speculating/stirring the pot on a Saturday AM.

PS...imagine a #32 for Butler...what a coincidence.
Ray Lewis killed a guy

Interesting...

There is no doubt he would accept it (since it was reported he is willing long ago) .. but a great find.

I wanted to add in my previous post that maybe Reiss overheard something to write the article. Hopefully it is settled already . The reason Id like this news sooner than later is not for paycut issues since I don't expect problems there . but some notions of his possible retirement (pure speculations from weeks or even months ago though)

A side note: The thoughts were it would be 3M for 2018 creating close to 5M cap space. If it is indeed connected to Danny I guess its an extension: 2y/4.8M (with probably around 1.5M gtd unless there's a SBLI bonus included..)

Last edited:
Perhaps Butler's $3.9 came off the books while a minimum wage contract slides into the 53rd hole...or a slotted #32 rookie contract (does it work that way?)............though.....I wonder if the $3.9 is/was on the books already due to lack of a signature.
Just speculating/stirring the pot on a Saturday AM.

PS...imagine a #32 for Butler...what a coincidence.
Ray Lewis killed a guy

Butler's 3.9 are accounted for (counts the moment he was tendered) and there would be some leaks way before it goes off the books since it is a complex process with at least two teams involved.

Rookie's salaries count when they sign the contract after Draft.

Unfortunately the Butler case might linger a while..

Butler's 3.9 are accounted for (counts the moment he was tendered) and there would be some leaks way before it goes off the books since it is a complex process with at least two teams involved.

Rookie's salaries count when they sign the contract after Draft.

Unfortunately the Butler case might linger a while..
I cant imagine it going beyond the draft, can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back