PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First crack at the slot corner job goes to Jonathan Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As usual, Reiss has some interesting tidbits in his Sunday quick-hit thoughts and notes column.

Andrew Hawkins had inside info on Patriots from his older brother

3. A 1-2 combination of Stephon Gilmore and Malcolm Butler at cornerback has been widely discussed in the context of potentially being one of the NFL's best. A lesser-discussed question is who might be the Patriots' No. 3 option in certain nickel packages, and Thursday's voluntary organized team activity provided an initial glimpse of how the coaching staff views some its personnel options. Jonathan Jones, the 2016 undrafted free agent from Auburn who made a significant impact on special teams as a rookie, received the majority of work with Gilmore and Butler. There's a long way to go, and it bears repeating to be careful reading too much into what we see at OTAs, but I was struck by the one-day snapshot of how Jones seemed to be ahead of 2016 top pick Cyrus Jones (second round, No. 60 overall) when looking solely at defense.

@long distance also posted this article in the Hawkins thread as the first item is about Artrell Hawkins helping with the decision process for Andrew to come here. Had no idea they were brothers until then.

Am I still holding out hope for Cyrus?

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, I can dig it.

Hopefully Cyrus got himself a good sports psychologist

This is a smart move (of course). J. Jones had a better year. It's really nothing about who is ahead because in the end the best player wins. After last season if Cyrus can't respond to this then he really is a JAG, despite the ability.

Reiss is really worth reading this morning.

His Sunday columns are always filled with interesting tidbits.

As for Cyrus, I am not giving up yet. I have doubts yes, but it's too early to give up entirely. He's been judged a lot on his special teams gaffes, but let's not forget he was drafted as a cornerback first, and should be evaluated as such. Several corners have needed time to adapt to the NFL level too, so I'm not that concerned...yet.

If he turns into a solid corner and the worst punt returner ever to the point he loses that job permanently, I would be fine with that. Meanwhile, if he turns into a great punt returner but a terrible corner, that's not so good.

And if he doesn't surpass Jonathan Jones, it's because Jonathan was the better player. In places like Jacksonville and Miami and Buffalo, the high draft pick will get to play regardless to try and justify the pick. BB doesn't do that, and people will point to that draft pick as a bust or whatever, but that's fine. Just point to all the wins it leads to as well, which many of those other teams are lacking from constantly trying to salvage draft picks and pride.

Cyrus is a good corner but he doesn't seem to be NFL ready from a mental standpoint. However it's only been a year so there's lots of time left. Conversely, Jon Jones seems to "get it" and played seriously hard on every ST snap making lots of plays. Hard to say if that will translate to CB but his athleticism is hard not to notice. Said it in another thread but that athleticism seems ideally suited to covering some of the quick players that you typically see in the slot.

Even Reiss makes sure that he disloses that these drills were little more than glorified walk throughs and have little long term consequenses. The fact that JJones got the first shot has as much value as the fact Freeney got the first shot at LB.

Remember what they are doing. This is the time the begin to install the offense, so the defense will take a step back to allow this to happen. Practice isn't 100% competitive ALL of the time. There are times where the defense is there to HELP the offense learn. Jees, I thought we all knew that.

So granted while I appreciate a new thread that deals with footbal, and the link to Reiss's notes, lets get a grip.

OT: But, does anyone know anything about cars? I need to buy a new one.

I know about as much about cars as my ass knows about playing the piccolo.

The more interesting part of this early development to me is the Pats don't plan to use Butler like Harris in Denver or Ryan last year by kicking him inside in the nickel. Maybe they want Rowe at CB4 snaps to keep the draft pick down in the 4th round range.

I'm setting the expectations low for Jones, hoping he'll show better results. That's the best I can do at this time.

I know about as much about cars as my ass knows about playing the piccolo.

I'm not much help with cars, unfortunately.

But I play a mean clarinet with my ass, which might translate to the piccolo. That's if you decide to pursue that skill where you admittedly lack knowledge. Let me know.

Here's a simple flowchart:

Live in New England?
..... NO: Try a different fan site for advice
..... YES: Are you rich?
.............NO: Buy a Subaru (used if necessary)
.............YES: Buy an Audi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back