PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First crack at the slot corner job goes to Jonathan Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
His Sunday columns are always filled with interesting tidbits...

Reiss is always worth reading;);)

My too-subtle message to the Board is that the dreaded-click on BSPN is more worth it than usual today. There's an internal battle for me about clicking on his column, because while I want to support him, it means money gets routed to BSPN, which I like to avoid. While his Sunday column usually has more stuff, often it is stuff we've picked up in bits and pieces, and thus the dreaded payment of money to BSPN (the result of any click) isn't necessary.

Today was rich enough,and exclusive enough, to push the scales in that direction for me.

But how does that handle in the snow? I was thinking about it for my winter beater...

Yep. Take that thing to Lowe's and throw some bag mulch and done shrubs for planting in the back in the spring.

My too-subtle message to the Board is that the dreaded-click on BSPN is more worth it than usual today. There's an internal battle for me about clicking on his column, because while I want to support him, it means money gets routed to BSPN, which I like to avoid. While his Sunday column usually has more stuff, often it is stuff we've picked up in bits and pieces, and thus the dreaded payment of money to BSPN (the result of any click) isn't necessary.

Today was rich enough,and exclusive enough, to push the scales in that direction for me.

I can understand that. I think about it differently. I want them to see that good journalism is rewarded as well, and even more than loud-mouthed, obnoxious ******** like they normally run.

Of course, the Jones boys will get first shot at the slot corner role. After all, if even one of them can be the backup slot, a roster spot would be freed up. We'd no longer need Coleman. Butler should be able to be able to play at least some of the reps inside.

Cyrus needs to overcome this thing now. Time waits for no man.

There should be some fierce battles at CB this training camp. We know Gilmore and butler are locks if they get through camp.

If auburn jones steps up with a big year two leap, that would be fantastic for the team.

As bb once said, you can never have too many good corners on your team, makes me think bb could carry seven cb's this year, with Rowe being CB/safety.

Camp is going to be fun!

Even Reiss makes sure that he disloses that these drills were little more than glorified walk throughs and have little long term consequenses. The fact that JJones got the first shot has as much value as the fact Freeney got the first shot at LB.

Remember what they are doing. This is the time the begin to install the offense, so the defense will take a step back to allow this to happen. Practice isn't 100% competitive ALL of the time. There are times where the defense is there to HELP the offense learn. Jees, I thought we all knew that.

So granted while I appreciate a new thread that deals with footbal, and the link to Reiss's notes, lets get a grip.

Or to quote Lombardi:

Its not surprising that Jonathan Jones is in at slot over Cyrus Jones, but that he is in at slot over Eric Rowe and/or Justin Coleman.

Its not surprising that Jonathan Jones is in at slot over Cyrus Jones, but that he is in at slot over Eric Rowe and/or Justin Coleman.

The team knows what they have in Rowe and Coleman.

That J Jones is getting reps doesn't mean that Belichick sees him as the slot receiver (IMO, that person is Butler). It doesn't even mean that he is #2; that is Coleman for the moment. It simply means that belichikc needs to see move, and J Jones needs the reps. Rowe is an excellent outside corner; Coleman is a mediocre slot corner. They don't need a lot of reps. They could be ready for the season with one or two pre-season games.

If Jonathan Jones is this good, that is nothing but a win for this team.

Johnathon Jones, I believe, had the fastest 40 time of all DBs at the 2016 Combine. That bodes well for a slot corner.

Yeah, because when you factor in Cyrus's impact on special teams... uhhhhhhh... o_O

It was supposed to be a major strength and could end up a liability in the end.

OT: But, does anyone know anything about cars? I need to buy a new one.

I know about as much about cars as my ass knows about playing the piccolo.

Old Volvo's, they run forever and they don't rust. I love them.

It was supposed to be a major strength and could end up a liability in the end.

???

With Cyrus Jones on the bench, the patriots have among the very best ST units in the NFL (in 2016 and 2017).

I haven't seen this much venom and distrust of a player since Julian Edelman, before he broke out, or was it Danny Amendola, or was it Marcus Cannon, or was it Logan Ryan, or was it Patrick Chung, or was it Devon McCourty, etc, etc, etc. :rolleyes:

Hopefully Cyrus got himself a good sports psychologist
Yeah, he needs one. That interview where he talked about having to question whether or not he still wanted to play the game spoke volumes to me about his mental toughness, or a possible lack thereof. I hope he gets it together, though. He seemingly has all of the other tools to be successful.

The team knows what they have in Rowe and Coleman.

That J Jones is getting reps doesn't mean that Belichick sees him as the slot receiver (IMO, that person is Butler). It doesn't even mean that he is #2; that is Coleman for the moment. It simply means that belichikc needs to see move, and J Jones needs the reps. Rowe is an excellent outside corner; Coleman is a mediocre slot corner. They don't need a lot of reps. They could be ready for the season with one or two pre-season games.
Agreed that J Jones needs the reps at corner - only time I remember him getting those last season was when Cyrus got ejected for throwing that sucker punch. J Jones might be concidered close to a lock by the coaching staff due to his special teams play as a gunner. He made some great plays down the stretch.

This might materialize into a scenario like when Kyle Arrington (like him or not) beat out highly drafted Terrence Wheatley and Darius Butler and sent those guys packing.

Agreed that J Jones needs the reps at corner - only time I remember him getting those last season was when Cyrus got ejected for throwing that sucker punch. J Jones might be concidered close to a lock by the coaching staff due to his special teams play as a gunner. He made some great plays down the stretch.

This might materialize into a scenario like when Kyle Arrington (like him or not) beat out highly drafted Terrence Wheatley and Darius Butler and sent those guys packing.
Well, there is always Coleman to upgrade.

J. Jones has been very competitive whenever he has been on the field. Not sure about C. Jones. I do believe that E. Rowe just doesn't have the quickness to play slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back