PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End of 2013 league year cuts, signings, trades, voids, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any interest in Jermichael Finely? Sounds like his rehab is better than expected

Any interest in Jermichael Finely? Sounds like his rehab is better than expected

My concerns would be the financial aspect, along with the fact that I believe that Green Bay is going to attempt to keep him.

If he'd come reasonably priced with some incentives for a certain amount of game reps, I think it could go a long way.

Chances are that we may address the TE issue through the draft no matter though. It seems like a good year to look into the position (IMO).

And durable to boot. I believe he's only missed one game in his last 5 yrs.

Unfortunately for him, he had a bad year in 2013, and it looks like they've decided to move on.

Could certainly be worthwhile in terms of kicking the tires.

He really fell off last year after a great 2012, was he struggling with an injury or did he just embrace the failure of the team last season?

The Cleveland Browns released inside linebacker D’Qwell Jackson the team announced Wednesday.

Jackson, who was the longest tenured Brown, was originally selected by the Browns in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

He was due a $4.1 million roster bonus in March but the team elected not to pay it.

Browns Release ILB D?Qwell Jackson « CBS Cleveland

This may indicate that they're trying to retain both Mack and Ward.

They've said they are (unless they can nab Byrd).

I think they'll franchise Ward and play hard for Mack, but he's playing coy with them. He knows he's looking at a huge payday.

Every released vet FA that we don't want represents a potential benefit to the Pats as some other team uses their cap to sign that guy such that they have less cap $ to compete for someone we want.

I think D'Qwell Jackson is one of the more talented ILBs in the league, or at least he was a year or two ago anyway.

I'm not sure of the specific responsibilities of our LBs if you assume that Spikes is gone, but would he be a fit here in any way? I assume that Hightower will be manning the middle, with Mayo weak side, and Collins strong side. I have also heard arguments of swapping the latter two, with Hightower remaining in the middle.

My concern--once again, is the cost of course. On top of that, I'm not sure there can be a reasonable justification for adding him, but it always seems like it's an area which can be improved upon due to injuries and other factors. I suppose in the end, one could argue that Spikes could be retained as a 2 down LB just the same, with the possibility of coming even cheaper.

This may indicate that they're trying to retain both Mack and Ward.

Well, if they want Mack, they have to sign him before free agency starts because they can't franchise a center with the franchise tag #. If he goes to free agency, I don't know if they can keep him from bolting.

Every released vet FA that we don't want represents a potential benefit to the Pats as some other team uses their cap to sign that guy such that they have less cap $ to compete for someone we want.

On the flip side though, it may potentially free up money for the team that is releasing the player to go after a player the Pats want to sign.

I think D'Qwell Jackson is one of the more talented ILBs in the league, or at least he was a year or two ago anyway.

I'm not sure of the specific responsibilities of our LBs if you assume that Spikes is gone, but would he be a fit here in any way? I assume that Hightower will be manning the middle, with Mayo weak side, and Collins strong side. I have also heard arguments of swapping the latter two, with Hightower remaining in the middle.

My concern--once again, is the cost of course. On top of that, I'm not sure there can be a reasonable justification for adding him, but it always seems like it's an area which can be improved upon due to injuries and other factors. I suppose in the end, one could argue that Spikes could be retained as a 2 down LB just the same, with the possibility of coming even cheaper.

I like Hightower as SAM, Mayo as MIKE and Collins as WILL in the base.
They are each almost a perfect fit for those roles, skillset-wise.

I want a fourth vet LB, though. Fletcher can stick around, I hope. if not, watch for Wesley Woodyard - if Denver lets him hit FA. Both he and Pat Angerer are coming off down years and one could come very cheap.

. @RapSheet: Jerry Jones told SportsCenter DeMarcus Ware could be cut. Dallas hasn’t asked Ware to take a pay cut yet. No communication between parties

Hmmmmmmmmm...

You can always make a strength stronger supa. I've never subscribed to the theory that good enough is OK. If you have an opportunity to make good excellent and excellent otherworldly, take it. That said, that discounts cap realities and other needs.

You can always make a strength stronger supa. I've never subscribed to the theory that good enough is OK. If you have an opportunity to make good excellent and excellent otherworldly, take it. That said, that discounts cap realities and other needs.

obviously, you know next to NOTHING about my sex life....the only thing otherworldly about it is that's probably where it went...:bricks:

I certainly had considered this as well, Andy.

It doesn't seem like I've come across too many posts where I've seen this proposed, however. It's quite possible that I just haven't noticed though. From what I've seen, many project Hightower for the MIKE. Again, that's just my observation.

I agree with you that your breakdown certainly seems to make a lot of sense, particularly with Hightower's skillset at strong side (in my opinion).

Hmmmmmmmmm...

DeMarcus Ware is just one of those guys that I'm not sure would be worth the money.

I think that he obviously is talented at rushing the passer, but for the money....not too sure about any possibility here. I think most would be interested if the price were reasonable though, but the odds of that probably aren't too good.

I certainly had considered this as well, Andy.

It doesn't seem like I've come across too many posts where I've seen this proposed, however. It's quite possible that I just haven't noticed though. From what I've seen, many project Hightower for the MIKE. Again, that's just my observation.

I agree with you that your breakdown certainly seems to make a lot of sense, particularly with Hightower's skillset at strong side (in my opinion).
You also want Collins in space and using his speed to chase, and Mayo will be a tackling machine as the MIKE.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Ravens officially have terminated the contracts of vested veterans FB Vonta Leach and LB Jameel McClain.

Ravens entering free agency with just 1 ILB?

I would like this post twice if I could…:agree:

I like that front as well; I like the idea of Hightower at the SAM playing closer to the line as he did his rookie season. He was developing into a solid pass rusher, last season off the line in space he played admirably but it was not optimal for his skillset.

I really like the idea of Collins at the WILL because it will allow him to be a playmaker, and as a playmaker, I think he offers more upside then Mayo. If he were at the WILL, he would be aligned on the right side in most cases, which would be entertaining because we could blitz him off the same side as Chandler Jones.

Mayo is a great player and a sure tackler; he may not offer the intimidation factor that Spikes offered but I would be willing to bet our run defense would improve with Mayo in the middle over Spikes based on Mayo’s decision making and understanding of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes