PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB: Coach of the Year Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
haley all the way

:confused:Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but isn't the coach also the GM?

...and the OC, and the DC. Maybe he should be assistant coach of the year as well.

Do you guys realize how easy Kansas City's schedule has been?

They have played TWO teams that will be in the playoffs: Indianapolis and the NFC South winner. The best team they've played (Indy) will finish 10-6, and that could very well be their only foe with a winning record.

About 10 teams in the NFL would have won 13+ games with this schedule.

...and the OC, and the DC. Maybe he should be assistant coach of the year as well.

No doubt. When you consider all of the tangibles and hats he wears, I guess it would only be fair to rename the trophy after Bill and exclude him from this award.

Do you guys realize how easy Kansas City's schedule has been?

They have played TWO teams that will be in the playoffs: Indianapolis and the NFC South winner. The best team they've played (Indy) will finish 10-6, and that could very well be their only foe with a winning record.

About 10 teams in the NFL would have won 13+ games with this schedule.

Yea thats what I keep going back to when trying to figure out how KC will do in the playoffs.

I do think that they are a good team because to consistently beat bad and mediocre teams, you need to be good.

If they had the Pat's schedule, they would have gone 7-9.

I hate the coach of the year award.

It's the media's way of covering up their own screw-ups. They don't give it to the best coach so much as the coach that exceeds the expectations.

Here's how it works: the media picks some team to suck. That team wins the division. The media can either admit they were wrong about that team, or they can praise the coach for raising the level of the entire team beyond what anyone could ever expect. Coach takes the credit, media avoids the blame, win/win.

Except the coach that rises above expectations the most is rarely the best coach of the year. BB should have at least 8 or 9 of these stupid things.

Give it to whoever for whatever reason, I don't care. I don't want BB to have this award if it's given to the likes of **** Jauron, Marvin Lewis, Jim Haslett, and Wayne Fontes.

Belichick
Morris
Haley
M. Smith

Any of those would be a worthy choice.

I dont think Todd Haley should get it I mean come on the NFC West is horrible

haley all the way

Why...because he inched out the mighty (fradulent) SD Superchargers in the final standings? LOL Cassel deserves more consideration for comeback play of the year (in season) for what he did coming back from his appendectomy in record time. If Haley didn't have a kid with Cassel's guts (and poise and system foundation) to run that system and Charlie and RAC to teach it and Pioli selecting all the talent for it...he'd have had a melt down ala Coughlin or Singletary by now and that team would be in shambles. Haley is nothing if not opportunistic. He's tried to inject himself into the mix a couple of times this season with near disasterous results. I gotta believe Scott has him on a short leash because of his ego and his temperement.

I dont think Todd Haley should get it I mean come on the NFC West is horrible

Haley is in the AFC West.

As for COTY, I don't see how it isn't Belichick.

It should be Belichick either way, but I wouldn't mind Morris getting it. Haley shouldn't even be in the discussion. The Chiefs' turnaround is all schedule, Pioli, a healthy Cassel and coordinators. The only other guy who warrants consideration is Mike Smith.

Last edited:
I hate the coach of the year award.

It's the media's way of covering up their own screw-ups. They don't give it to the best coach so much as the coach that exceeds the expectations.

Here's how it works: the media picks some team to suck. That team wins the division. The media can either admit they were wrong about that team, or they can praise the coach for raising the level of the entire team beyond what anyone could ever expect. Coach takes the credit, media avoids the blame, win/win.

Except the coach that rises above expectations the most is rarely the best coach of the year. BB should have at least 8 or 9 of these stupid things.

Give it to whoever for whatever reason, I don't care. I don't want BB to have this award if it's given to the likes of **** Jauron, Marvin Lewis, Jim Haslett, and Wayne Fontes.

Completely agree...and by these standards doesn't Belichick STILL win the award? The Pats were expected to be in a dog-fight for the AFC East with the Fins and Jets, in fact many of the 'experts' picked the Patriots to be sitting at home come playoff time. The defense was unproven and extremely young, the offense would be good but somewhat one-dimensional--i.e. lots of passing to Moss and Welker--since the TE's were young and there were questions about how Maroney/Taylor/Morris would work out. If you think back to everyone's predictions, this was a 9-10 win team going into the season...they're going to exceed all expectations by a long shot, and that's with one of the hardest schedules in football.

I honestly don't see how Belichick could possibly lose this award. Just look at the offense, which was considered the strong point for the team: Faulk - injured; Maroney - traded; Moss - traded; Taylor - injured; Morris - ineffective/injured/replaced. The only regular contributors who started the season in their roles are Brady and Welker, plus the TE's who have vastly exceeded everyone's expectations. On defense...I mean, it has to be the youngest defense in football, right? Add in a few UDFA's and you have a defense full of 1st or second year guys, guys off the street, and Mayo/Wilfork/Sanders. And yet this team is blowing people out of the water--again, during what has been one of the most difficult schedules in football.

Belichick won't win it...but he should.

EDIT: one more thing - aren't great coaches supposed to scheme, adjust and teach, thus making the team incrementally better week to week? Is there a single team in the NFL that has taken as dramatic a step forward from where they were weeks 1-4 than the Patriots? This team doesn't even look like the one they started the year as and they just...keep...getting...better.

Last edited:
I'll make it very simple for King.

Belichick.

Belichick, Belichick, Belichick.

Anyone remember when he was "giving up on the season"? :rolleyes:

What he has done this year is so incredible that people are whining that the Patriots must be cheating. That's how incredible, how unlikely, how amazing this season has been.

It's not a tough call at ALL.

Last edited:
Exactly, last two posters nailed it.

Raheem Morris is doing about what got Gruden fired, and he hasn't managed to beat a team with a winning record all season. Spags is poised to win the worst division in the league with a sub .500 record. Woopdie freakin' do. Haley lost nothing beyond dead weight and playcalling responsibilities...while gaining an OC (who inherited a fully functional TFB backup) and DC with 3 rings via the system. Atlanta has been knocking on the door since 2008 although they took a step back in Ryan's sophomore season. Sean Payton did his COTY performing last season, this year he's doing a decent job clinging to a wild card berth considering the SB curse...

All Bill did was a rebuild on the fly facing possibly the toughest schedule in the league and somehow manage to lead the league in wins...

Spagnoulo
The rams are a great success story thsi year.

I doubt very much if Belichick would have a done a better job if he were coach of the rams this year.

How can a guy coaching a sub-.500 team be COTY?

Last edited:
How can a guy coaching a sub-500 team be COTY?

Because his team sucked ass even more the year before, and he's led the team to more wins this season than in the previous 3 years combined?

I wouldn't vote for him, but an argument can be made.

Because his team sucked ass even more the year before, and he's led the team to more wins this season than in the previous 3 years combined?

I wouldn't vote for him, but an argument can be made.

Yes, a very crappy argument can be made. All that does is penalize coaches who have been good before. There are a number of teams that go from terrible to half-decent every year, and just as many teams go in the opposite direction. Making that swing isn't particularly unique or remarkable. What the Patriots are doing is.

Last edited:
Yes, a very crappy argument can be made. All that does is penalize coaches who have been good before. There are a number of teams that go from terrible to half-decent every year, and just as many teams go in the opposite direction. Making that swing isn't particularly unique or remarkable. What the Patriots are doing is.

It's not a crappy argument at all. It's a perfectly valid argument, and one that's used in every major sports league. As for what the Patriots are doing, the Colts have been doing the same thing all decade long. It's something you can get away with when you've got a talent baseline and a great quarterback.

It's not a crappy argument at all. It's a perfectly valid argument, and one that's used in every major sports league. As for what the Patriots are doing, the Colts have been doing the same thing all decade long. It's something you can get away with when you've got a talent baseline and a great quarterback.

If you can point to a season where the Colts have nailed down the #1 seed despite roster turnover on par with the Patriots' this year, be my guest. I'd agree that they're the closest comparable, but to me, this year has shown the disparity in coaching and front office philosophy between the two organizations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes