PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB: Coach of the Year Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because his team sucked ass even more the year before, and he's led the team to more wins this season than in the previous 3 years combined?

I wouldn't vote for him, but an argument can be made.

Stop me when you find a good win in here:
Arizona (L)
Oakland (L)
Washington (W)
Seattle (W)
Detroit (L)
San Diego (W)
Tampa Bay (L)
Carolina (W)
San Francisco (L)
Atlanta (L)
Denver (W)
Arizona (W)
New Orleans (L)
Kansas City (L)
San Francisco (W)
Seattle (week 17)

I mean, come on...who the hell has STL beaten? I guess San Diego is a decent win, but after that? A bunch of NFC West drek and pretty much all the other bad teams in the NFL. They lost by 2 TD's at home against KC, got killed in NO, Atlanta beat them by 17 points in STL and they lost to TB in a close game against another overrated team.

In addition, they've drafted 15th, 13th, 2nd, 2nd and 1st in the last 5 years...at some point all that young talent could just blossom, it might not take a genius coach to turn them into a mediocre team.

Another thought: if the Pats win and the Rams lose next weekend then the Patriots would have 4 more wins than last year, the Rams 6. Considering how difficult it is in today's NFL to be truly 'great' vs. getting to merely mediocre, I'd consider the 14-2 record (against the opponents the Pats have played) more impressive than getting to 7-9 against many of the NFL's worst teams.

Last edited:
Completely agree...and by these standards doesn't Belichick STILL win the award? The Pats were expected to be in a dog-fight for the AFC East with the Fins and Jets, in fact many of the 'experts' picked the Patriots to be sitting at home come playoff time. The defense was unproven and extremely young, the offense would be good but somewhat one-dimensional--i.e. lots of passing to Moss and Welker--since the TE's were young and there were questions about how Maroney/Taylor/Morris would work out. If you think back to everyone's predictions, this was a 9-10 win team going into the season...they're going to exceed all expectations by a long shot, and that's with one of the hardest schedules in football.

I honestly don't see how Belichick could possibly lose this award. Just look at the offense, which was considered the strong point for the team: Faulk - injured; Maroney - traded; Moss - traded; Taylor - injured; Morris - ineffective/injured/replaced. The only regular contributors who started the season in their roles are Brady and Welker, plus the TE's who have vastly exceeded everyone's expectations. On defense...I mean, it has to be the youngest defense in football, right? Add in a few UDFA's and you have a defense full of 1st or second year guys, guys off the street, and Mayo/Wilfork/Sanders. And yet this team is blowing people out of the water--again, during what has been one of the most difficult schedules in football.

Belichick won't win it...but he should.

EDIT: one more thing - aren't great coaches supposed to scheme, adjust and teach, thus making the team incrementally better week to week? Is there a single team in the NFL that has taken as dramatic a step forward from where they were weeks 1-4 than the Patriots? This team doesn't even look like the one they started the year as and they just...keep...getting...better.

You'd think so. And your post is filled with logic and rational thought. But that doesn't matter to the media.

The other thing is the media hates BB for not pandering to them and giving them such a hard time. It's unfortunate, but plays a factor.

I don't think he'll win it, but he's the true coach of the year.

Last edited:
You'd think so. And your post is filled with logic and rational thought. But that doesn't matter to the media.

The other thing is the media hates BB for not pandering to them and giving them such a hard time. It's unfortunate, but plays a factor.

I don't think he'll win it, but he's the true coach of the year.

Bill and Tom need to be without a doubt amazing to win an MVP or COY award.. otherwise the media will turn a blind eye to them.

Stop me when you find a good win in here:
Arizona (L)
Oakland (L)
Washington (W)
Seattle (W)
Detroit (L)
San Diego (W)
Tampa Bay (L)
Carolina (W)
San Francisco (L)
Atlanta (L)
Denver (W)
Arizona (W)
New Orleans (L)
Kansas City (L)
San Francisco (W)
Seattle (week 17)

I mean, come on...who the hell has STL beaten? I guess San Diego is a decent win, but after that? A bunch of NFC West drek and pretty much all the other bad teams in the NFL. They lost by 2 TD's at home against KC, got killed in NO, Atlanta beat them by 17 points in STL and they lost to TB in a close game against another overrated team.

In addition, they've drafted 15th, 13th, 2nd, 2nd and 1st in the last 5 years...at some point all that young talent could just blossom, it might not take a genius coach to turn them into a mediocre team.

Another thought: if the Pats win and the Rams lose next weekend then the Patriots would have 4 more wins than last year, the Rams 6. Considering how difficult it is in today's NFL to be truly 'great' vs. getting to merely mediocre, I'd consider the 14-2 record (against the opponents the Pats have played) more impressive than getting to 7-9 against many of the NFL's worst teams.

"Good" win is irrelevant. You're talking about a 1 win team in position to win 8. For a 1 win team, every win is a good win.

3 wins
2 wins
1 win

7-8 wins

Great improvement. Worthy of COY consideration. The only reason I didn't have him in my group of 4 is that he got an upgrade at the QB position.

Last edited:
"Good" win is irrelevant. You're talking about a 1 win team in position to win 8. For a 1 win team, every win is a good win.

3 wins
2 wins
1 win

7-8 wins

Great improvement. Worthy of COY consideration. The only reason I didn't have him in my group of 4 is that he got an upgrade at the QB position.

Most Improved and Best is not the same. Is COY supposed to go to the coach that did the best job or was the most improved from the year before? At the end of the day, they are still a 7 win team that mostly beat other crappy teams. If he is as good as you think he is, then the Rams will be in contention next year and he will be in consideration for COY.

I think BB is the logical choice although there are a few others that have done very well. I do think that coaches with a consistent record of success get penalized in the COY voting in favor of those that have shown the most improvement. Personally, I think it is unfair to do so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back