PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End of 2013 league year cuts, signings, trades, voids, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we gamble, why not Sidney Rice? He has to be a CAPeroo because of the Seahawks needing to pay the piper. When healthy he is on the verge of elite (not yet) and only 27. Perhaps his injuries are behind him. Likened to Moss by many and played with Moss. In 2009 he was one of the best receivers in the NFL with 83 grabs and 8 TDs from Brett Farve and in 2012, and in 2012 he played all 16 games and caught 50 with 7 TDs in Russell Wilson's infancy.

With TB and health he could double his TD count and we have a WR who can actually stretch the field at 6'4" with jumps and speed.

DW Toys

As long as they address the weaknesses and make an honest attempt to improve the talent and depth, I couldn't care less who the specific players are.

Sidney Rice works for me, as long as the proper value is there, of course. I would expect Belichick to have a good read on the specifics, so if he chooses Rice I would still be plenty excited. There are only really a smaller percentage of players who are problems/headcases or who just wouldn't fit in here, who I wouldn't want to be considered. We all have our personal versions of specific players who we'd like to see, but I don't really care as long as value and upgrade is considered.

. @SiriusXMNFL: FA WR @EricDecker87: If we can get on the same page I will welcome a call from the #Broncos but I need to do what is best for my family.

Go cash that Raiders check Decker. :)

if Pitta ( a guy who played in 4 games last year with 20 catches) argued he should be tagged as a 11.5 mill WR..he is on some glue. I can see Grahams case..but not this guy

If he actually played the majority of his snaps as a slot receiver then he has a great case in terms of the Ravens and the tag. However I really wonder if that argument serves him as well if he wins it, they decline to tag him as a receiver, and he hits the open market. We all saw how low the number was for Welker and he was the greatest slot receiver of all time so if Pitta wants to be paid like a slot receiver instead of a TE then he may be undermining his value on the whole. However like Edelman his best option may well be a one year deal in New England with guarantee not to franchise. If he came in and had a really good season in NE he could return to the open market next offseason in much better shape to get the deal he is looking for. I would say his better bet would be to sign the franchise tag in Baltimore but then he would have Flacco throwing to him, and who would want that in a contract year?

Tell you what, if Andy Hart is right and the Bears release Julius Peppers then I want the Patriots to move on him aggressively. Putting him in rotation with Jones and Ninkovich would really help their pass rush.

So, it would appear that the CB market is going to remain at the same level that it was at last year as well, which is what I have assumed in my projections with Talib. Hall's reported deal is worth "up to" 5m per year, so I think we can assume something in the range of 4/20 max. Something like 4/18 may be more likely when all is said and done.

That is good news for us in our attempts to retain him, and my projection of something in the range of the 2009 Leigh Bodden deal at 4/22 (with 10 guaranteed) seems to be quite reasonable from my perspective.

Sign the beast.

So, it would appear that the CB market is going to remain at the same level that it was at last year as well, which is what I have assumed in my projections with Talib. Hall's reported deal is worth "up to" 5m per year, so I think we can assume something in the range of 4/20 max. Something like 4/18 may be more likely when all is said and done.

That is good news for us in our attempts to retain him, and my projection of something in the range of the 2009 Leigh Bodden deal at 4/22 (with 10 guaranteed) seems to be quite reasonable from my perspective.

Sign the beast.

I hope you are right. I don't think the Patriot's are going big on any of their free agents but Talib at 4/20 would be well worth it. I have some questions about his toughness but when he is on his game he is an excellent CB, and his games against Atlanta and New Orleans were as good as any i have seen from a Patriots CB. There is no question that they are a better defense when he is out there and playing well so if they can get it done then they will be off to a good start for their defense this offseason.

The problem as I see it is that Hall is an older CB and Talib's agent is going to argue that he is in the prime of his career and I would guess he will start out shooting for a big number and have to be brought down to earth. Ultimately i don't think the Patriots will go over 25 for him and if someone is willing to give him 30 for 5 he will be gone.

I really think the Patriots can make some hay this offseason by getting players to go one and done with them, and if they do it buys them time to address needs longer term in the draft with more flexibility. i would love to see them mix it up and try to get a guy like Peppers to come in on a decent 3 year deal while bringing in others, like Henry Melton or Dennis Pitta to do the 1 year deal that gives them the chance to go back to market after a season in New England.

Sign the beast.

I think you're a bit off. Talib is a much better CB than Hall, so he will likely get somewhere around $2M/year more. Richard Hill had this take on the Hall signing:

Market is Set for Aqib Talib - Pats Pulpit

I think you're being a bit optimistic and Hill is being a bit pessimistic. I could see a deal around 4/$24M with incentives up to 4/$30M. IIRC, 4/$24 is what the Pats have Leigh Bodden in 2010, and Talib would be a bargain at that number, even with incentives. The incentives have to be earned, after all.

Jacksonville GM today didn't seem too high on Justin Blackmon. I think he called him a "luxury" or something like that. Guy has major issues, but the talent is undeniable.

Would you give up a 5th round pick for him if you are BB? Or what do you think the price would be?

I think you're a bit off. Talib is a much better CB than Hall, so he will likely get somewhere around $2M/year more. Richard Hill had this take on the Hall signing:

Market is Set for Aqib Talib - Pats Pulpit

I think you're being a bit optimistic and Hill is being a bit pessimistic. I could see a deal around 4/$24M with incentives up to 4/$30M. IIRC, 4/$24 is what the Pats have Leigh Bodden in 2010, and Talib would be a bargain at that number, even with incentives. The incentives have to be earned, after all.

You're close. The Leigh Bodden deal was 4/22 with 10 million guaranteed (5.5 AAV per year).

I think something in that range is fair, especially if you wish to throw incentives in that could bring it up another 1 million per season such as playing time/pro bowl. Again, that seems quite reasonable for both sides.

That would end up being worth about 4/26 (if he reaches them), which would give him the opportunity to earn 6.5 million per year w/ incentives. That's as high as I would go, but my opinion is meaningless.

We'll have to see what Belichick thinks. I'm not seeing as much as a "bargain" aspect due to what the current CB market has been, and I believe that the guys (arguably) ahead of Talib such as Grimes/Verner/DRC are going to be the guys seeing 7.5m tops AAV. When you consider the fact that most believe that Talib is below those 3, I see a bit less that isn't necessarily a bargain. Then again, I believe that collusion is taking place on some level, and that the market will continue to be right around where it was last year, or slightly above.

According to @alexmarvez, the Seahawks are expected to release Red Bryant. Expect the Patriots to have serious interest.

Yes please!

Red Bryant, GO GO GO PATS.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m
Saves $3M cap space RT @Rand_Getlin: #Falcons safety Thomas DeCoud will be released by the 4th day of the league year, per a league source.

Another FA to be safety.

And a good one at that.

And durable to boot. I believe he's only missed one game in his last 5 yrs.

Unfortunately for him, he had a bad year in 2013, and it looks like they've decided to move on.

Could certainly be worthwhile in terms of kicking the tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News