PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson Released by Eagles [update]: Signed by Washington

That's why even if its reported that he signed a deal that "averages $10MM/yr", I'd be shocked is that after the dust settled, we'll find out that he gets very little up front (like $2MM) and the rest has to be earned. I'm also sure that the contract will have more than few outs and morals clauses in the team's favor.

I get where you're going with this, and I agree that they may certainly give themselves an out, but I highly doubt that anyone is going to give him as little as 2m dollars up front/guaranteed.

We're talking about a WR who is fairly polished and talented, despite the recent accusations in the media which may/may not be true.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction was short by about 500% in terms of the guaranteed money. Obviously, we'll know soon enough and it hardly matters either way.

Jackson would have been a nice pickup for reasonable money in the 5-6 million dollar AAV range. Unfortunately, WRs of that kind of talent usually don't go for anything that low when they can offer a deeper, outside type of threat and are coming off of a 1,300 yd season.

wait a minute...normally I trust all your reports BUT.,..EXPERT EXPERT 19 says "not so fast!!!" Elite, unlimited ceiling canaries whistling gypsy tell him that NOTHING is done and the Jets are in the hunt!!!

I can see Jackson landing in Washington, but it isn't done yet

Ed Werder@Edwerderespn 17m DeSean Jackson will spend Tuesday with Redskins coaches. No deal as talks continue with multiple teams

The Jets and their 50 million in cap space know better than to throw money at DeSean Jackson...great "OG OG OG!!!" job Izdick...carrying on that super green tradition like Rich Kotite's hemorrhoid should...

Damn.... I was very wrong about his destination. At least the jests didn't get him.

Do you think this pushes anyone out at the WR position, and if so--would you be interested in bringing them in for camp competition?

I don't know what Santana Moss would offer at this point, Aldrick Robinson, or a guy like Leonard Hankerson, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Moss and the Redskins agreed to a one year deal on March 11. In looking at that WR group, I see the 2 starting OWRs:

Jackson
Garcon

the slot WR

Moss

and the guy who plays both

Roberts

Hankerson's coming off of ACL surgery, and that would make 5. Morgan's a free agent, so they won't ask him back. Williams and Robinson are on small money deals, and I expect that one, or both, will eventually be cut loose. Robinson's been a big YPR guy, but on very limited catch totals for a 3rd year WR, so I'm not sure how much interest I could muster for his arrival.

They could cut Moss, but I'm not sure why they would at this point. It would seem to me that having the 4 'starters' they've got now would be a good way for that team to roll on 3rd downs. Since they like the FB with Morris and RGIII, this would allow for a multitude of options and formations.

Now, if the Redskins were to cut loose of Hankerson, I could definitely see signing him and stashing him on PUP as a BB sort of move.

The Jets and their 50 million in cap space know better than to throw money at DeSean Jackson...great "OG OG OG!!!" job Izdick...carrying on that super green tradition like Rich Kotite's hemorrhoid should...

The Jets had a real chance to make themselves competitive this offseason. I, for one, am glad that their GM chose not to do that.

As a side note, the Redskins effectively just signed their first round draft pick.

The Jets had a real chance to make themselves competitive this offseason. .

heh...heh heh...hahahahahaha....

hysterical-laugh-o.gif

heh...heh heh...hahahahahaha....

hysterical-laugh-o.gif

What the Jets did:

Kept/Acquired

Eric Decker
Jacoby Ford
Breno Giacomini
Dimitri Patterson
Michael Vick
Willie Colon
Nick Folk
Calvin Pace
Leger Douzable

Lost

Cromartie
Howard

They've got over $28.5m of cap space remaining. Had Idzik been smart, instead of sitting back and pinching pennies for no good reason, he could probably have pulled in a quality CB, a better quality OT (or snagged Saffold to play guard), and a quality S, and he'd have still been left with plenty of money to browse the WR rack for another decent starter-level guy.

That team probably makes the playoffs in the AFC.

Not surprised Snyder would pay for Jackson. He love paying for shiny toys even if they have huge red flags (see Albert Haynesworth). And I am not talking the alleged gang stuff.

Nothing like adding a "Me First" guy who has the history of insubordination to a team with a meddlesome owner who has a history of siding with players over his head coach. I see this ending well for Jay Gruden. If he peisses off RG3 and Jackson, he might not make it through the season in his first year as head coach.

3 years, $24 million, $16 million guaranteed.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/02/desean-jackson-washington-redskins-contract-free-agency/

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but Jackson as of this morning, is now guaranteed 66% of that contract no matter what? Where's the incentive for him to clean up his act?

Great talent, no doubt.

Got a lot of guaranteed money. Gruden's younger brother better be able to keep this guy in line. That's a big job for a first year coach.

I hereby declare this nonsense -- OVER!!!

:rocker::rocker::rocker:​

Sherman is trying to make this into a race issue because eagles kept Cooper. Cooper did something stupid once when he was drunk (NOT at all condoning his actions) while D-Jax is involved in a sketchy crowd and has been known to have a poor work ethic and skips practices. Won't be long before Al Sharpton is involved in this....

Sherman is trying to make this into a race issue because eagles kept Cooper. Cooper did something stupid once when he was drunk (NOT at all condoning his actions) while D-Jax is involved in a sketchy crowd and has been known to have a poor work ethic and skips practices. Won't be long before Al Sharpton is involved in this....

Who is Sherman?

Attachments

• Peabody and Sherman.jpg
    Peabody and Sherman.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 59
Do you think this pushes anyone out at the WR position, and if so--would you be interested in bringing them in for camp competition?

I don't know what Santana Moss would offer at this point, Aldrick Robinson, or a guy like Leonard Hankerson, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Probably not, their WRs after Garcon (and now Garcon/Jackson) are basically of dumpster fire quality. I doubt that any of Hankerson, Robertson, or Moss would be a significant immediate upgrade here. Any of them could probably be penciled in as WR4 or so, but none of them are enough of an upgrade over even Thompkins/Boyce to warrant serious consideration, IMO.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back