PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demaryius Thomas says he was insulted/disrespected by Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this "word" of which you write?????

Are you saying he PROMISED Demaryius Thomas something??????

This is where we'd have to be either in the room or in BB's mind to know how what was said was actually said. Thomas clearly interpreted BB's statement, whatever it was, in such a way that he felt he had Belichick's "word" on what would happen. Is that a "fair" or "unfair," "reasonable" or "unreasonable" interpretation? We really can't know.

What we can know is that a conversation occurred between Belichick and Thomas and that both the Patriots and Thomas did nothing inconsistent with their contractual obligations or the CBA. In this case, we can also know that Thomas ended up with bad feelings but more money in his pocket and that the Patriots ended up still thin at a critical position.

"what I said was not the same as what I had said previously."

It's right there in English. Stop being a homer. BB is admitting he went back on his word because things changed. I'm not making anything up or reading into anything. Your take on my interpretation is wrong.

"what I said was not the same as what I had said previously."

SAID - - not "promised".

The landscape was different the moment Rosenhaus contacted BB.

Nobody gets a promise from BB. No player ever has. It's elemental understanding.

Now that, right there, is some top level irony.

Deus, you're looking for attention again today.

BB has never promised a player a position on any team he's coached. Never has never will.

Obviously you are looking for some sort of attention today. I hope you find some in real life.

'word' is not applicable to how Belichick has historically coached this team.
Can you link to where we know Belichick gave his 'word' or is that a fabrication by another?

BB told the media exactly what happened. He said one thing, then the situation changed and then he said another thing. No one is fabricating anything. I'm not defending Thomas.

Not homers ... just smart enough to know Belichick promises nothing in terms of roster spot.

I'm finding the "He broke his word" people fascinating and hilarious (and utterly ignorant of how things work in the NFL and particularly in BB's system the past 2 decades).

What happened here is neither difficult to see from what's been done and said, nor indefensible in terms of the way of the NFL and sports in general, and it should not be difficult to admit.

• Thomas was told he had a spot on the team, so agreed to a cut/return with the Patriots when he could have sought employment elsewhere.
  • BB meant to follow through with the deal at the time it was made.
  • AB, arguably the best WR in the game, became available.
  • BB made the decision to go after BB, at the expense of DT, which means that BB went back on his word.
  • BB feels bad, because he knows he sort of screwed Thomas over a bit. But he did move him to a team where DT can be comfortable.
  • BB would do it again, 100 times out of 100.

Just reading this quote now I wonder what he said which changed?

There is no way in hell BB would "promise" him anything except a signing bonus and a legit chance to compete for a roster spot and playing time.

Then again, we'll never know what was really said. Thomas might have interpreted that BB wanted him to be a major part of the offense and perhaps it semantics. This is Area 51 stuff now.

BB told the media exactly what happened. He said one thing, then the situation changed and then he said another thing. No one is fabricating anything. I'm not defending Thomas.

Exactly. I'm not sure why some people think he's supposed to say the very same thing every day as events change.

I'm finding the "He broke his word" people fascinating and hilarious (and utterly ignorant of how things work in the NFL and particularly in BB's system the past 2 decades).

Again, the irony is at the highest of levels. We KNOW that BB went back on his word, because BB has admitted it. Tell us again about the English language.

• BB made the decision to go after BB, at the expense of DT, which means that BB went back on his word.

From what I've seen over the years BB wouldn't waste any time going after himself.

BB did in fact bring Thomas back therefore he did not in fact break his word

What happened here is neither difficult to see from what's been done and said, nor indefensible in terms of the way of the NFL and sports in general, and it should not be difficult to admit.

• Thomas was told he had a spot on the team, so agreed to a cut/return with the Patriots when he could have sought employment elsewhere.
  • BB meant to follow through with the deal at the time it was made.
  • AB, arguably the best WR in the game, became available.
  • BB feels bad, because he knows he sort of screwed Thomas over a bit. But he did move him to a team where DT can be comfortable.
  • BB would do it again, 100 times out of 100.

BB DID follow through with the deal. It was consummated.

Report: Thomas gets pay bump on new deal

So not only DID they re-sign him, they gave him a 25% bump that continues over to the Jets!

So, pray tell, what the hell are you talking about????

Do you feel contracts in the NFL are "no-cut, no-trade"???? I'm not even sure one exists.

Last edited:
Do you feel contracts in the NFL are "no-cut, no-trade"???? I'm not even sure one exists.

Cousins has a no-trade provision and a no transition tag provision to go along with his fully guaranteed deal, that's about as close to "no-cut, no-trade" as we will ever see

Again, the irony is at the highest of levels. We KNOW that BB went back on his word, because BB has admitted it. Tell us again about the English language.

Beginning to think you don't know the meaning of the word "word" here............

Beginning to think you don't know the meaning of the word "word" here............

Lost upon the 'word' people here is that for Belichick to give his word to any player on the 53 would mean that player is different than the other 52 ... which is inane to Belichick's history.

Check out the aggrieved player today who got screwed over by Belichick LAST week! How will the Patriots ever attract veteran free agents in the future??????

63,754 posts on this site in 13 years and you STILL don't understand how NFL contracts work??????

Hard to quantify how many thousands of hours you've wasted.

No, Thomas is not full of bull. Belichick has openly admitted the truth of Thomas' statement.

Bill Belichick on Demaryius Thomas: I was truthful with him, but things change

What the hell is wrong with you people? The guy being accused of breaking his word has acknowledged that he broke his word, citing a change in circumstances as the justification.

Argue "AB coming free changed everything". Argue "subsequent injuries/developments made it impossible to keep DT, no matter how much we wanted to". Argue whatever you want in defense of BB going back on his word. But don't argue that BB didn't do it, because he acknowledged that he did it.
You have a mistaken understanding of “going back on your word”. Roster decisions are not guarantees. They are subject to changes that occur.
Belichick told him he had a job for him. He did. He gave it to him.
Then another player became available so he no longer had a job for him.
If you think Belichick promised him he would have a job for the whole season no matter what you are probably shouldn’t be in this discussion.

...but thats on DT. He can sign with whomever he wants. No one held a gun to his head. Plus hes been in this league 10 years. If he doesn't want to acknowledge how cutthroat it can be thats on him.

Obviously i'm defending the team here. They signed him when he was injured and still dealing with a legal matter. They paid him while rehabbing. He made his way back. They cut him thus making him a FA. He could have signed with anyone but chose to come back here. He was then traded to a team in which knew him and he knew the offensive system.

Welcome to the real world where people are laid off, fired, demoted and passed over for promotions and not paid millions of $.

Baby.

Sure he knowingly joined and knew he could be traded. So him now saying that he was disappointed to be traded and that it was a waste of time rejoining the Pats is just factual. He’s disappointed. So be it.

I would have kept DT and not signed AB, which is what DT was expecting.

Both DT and Ben paid for the AB fiasco. DT lost his spot, and he said he wanted to contribute. Ben took a $1M hair cut to make up for the $5M+ cap hit created by AB.

Patriots f%^ked up by signing AB and then prematurely releasing him, and the ripples it created. Just because we all support the team and want them to win, doesn't mean we can't be critical of some of their decisions. They do make mistakes.

Patriots were smart to sign a HoF talent like AB at a reasonable price. Kraft was just idiotic to release him.

Sure he knowingly joined and knew he could be traded. So him now saying that he was disappointed to be traded and that it was a waste of time rejoining the Pats is just factual. He’s disappointed. So be it.

A $300,000 for one week waste of time.

Where can I sign up to waste a week for that???????? I give my WORD I won't be DISAPPOINTED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back