PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Debate Brady vs Belichick?

Curran: Brady puts a stake through the heart of his haters

Tom Brady, 43, is in the NFC Championship game for the first time in his career. He went to 13 in the other conference. A team that won seven games last year has now -- with Brady -- won 13. And counting. The team he was on last year won 12 and followed that up by winning seven this year. Same five-game dropoff as there was in 2008.

Any whacked-out holdouts still clinging to the belief Brady spent two decades propped up by a system, a coaching staff or a Patriotic aura are not to be considered serious people. Same goes for anyone who, come Monday, will minimize what Brady’s done for a punchline franchise.

This isn’t a "Tom proved Bill wrong" column. We’ve gone over that ground enough, right? Brady’s better at 43 than Belichick ever thought he would be. The same will be true at 44 and 45 when he’s still playing and winning.

You know how many times I heard the words, "We’re in uncharted territory here ..." as the Patriots fixation with what would happen if an aging Brady got hurt or his skills diminished? A lot. From a lot of different people. All of whom loved Tom Brady very much.

Belichick is the one who brought the concept that "It’s better to get out a year early rather than a year late" into our consciousness. Having his team revolve around Brady into the quarterback’s fifth decade on the planet was like asking someone to stand still with a white-hot coal in their open palm.

Brady knew it. He bolted. Bill gets his reboot.

50/50. and always will be to me no matter how many rings they each win from now on.

BB made a mistake taking Brady for granted his last few years in NE, and not trading for Hopkins those 2 are the reasons Brady left.

I hope he wins another SB this year I will be cheering for him so hard. I want to see his haters in the media eat crow.

If you're surprised that It is now 100% crystal clear that Brady made this franchise, and that Bill is a sub .500 arrogant douche who pays himself $25 mill/year while simultaneously running the GREATEST ATHLETE IN THE HISTORY OF BOSTON SPORTS out of town, then you are truly an imbecile.
IT IS SETTLED. SLAM DUNK.

50/50. and always will be to me no matter how many rings they each win from now on.

BB made a mistake taking Brady for granted his last few years in NE, and not trading for Hopkins those 2 are the reasons Brady left.

I hope he wins another SB this year I will be cheering for him so hard. I want to see his haters in the media eat crow.

I think Rob Parker is the only remaining hater.

Curran: Brady puts a stake through the heart of his haters

Tom Brady, 43, is in the NFC Championship game for the first time in his career. He went to 13 in the other conference. A team that won seven games last year has now -- with Brady -- won 13. And counting. The team he was on last year won 12 and followed that up by winning seven this year. Same five-game dropoff as there was in 2008.

Any whacked-out holdouts still clinging to the belief Brady spent two decades propped up by a system, a coaching staff or a Patriotic aura are not to be considered serious people. Same goes for anyone who, come Monday, will minimize what Brady’s done for a punchline franchise.

This isn’t a "Tom proved Bill wrong" column. We’ve gone over that ground enough, right? Brady’s better at 43 than Belichick ever thought he would be. The same will be true at 44 and 45 when he’s still playing and winning.

You know how many times I heard the words, "We’re in uncharted territory here ..." as the Patriots fixation with what would happen if an aging Brady got hurt or his skills diminished? A lot. From a lot of different people. All of whom loved Tom Brady very much.

Belichick is the one who brought the concept that "It’s better to get out a year early rather than a year late" into our consciousness. Having his team revolve around Brady into the quarterback’s fifth decade on the planet was like asking someone to stand still with a white-hot coal in their open palm.

Brady knew it. He bolted. Bill gets his reboot.
Also in the article

Can Brady win without Belichick? Yes. And Tampa’s 2020 season will be the indelible proof. But he can only win like this because of Belichick and what he helped develop and foster. And let’s be honest. If Belichick were coaching this particular accumulation of talent in Tampa, he’d have his second 16-0 regular season.

Can Belichick win without Brady? Harder chore than what the quarterback is pulling off. He’s got to rebuild a roster that -- admittedly -- has gone shallow and stale at too many spots on his watch. But if he gets even half-a-Brady and doesn’t butcher either the draft or free agency then -- BAM! -- they’ll be back to double-digit wins.

Brady today wasn’t spectacular, but what he did do is not put his team in bad situations by turning the ball over. The first two possessions were piss poor and were not able to sustain drives, but afterwards things settled in.

They have to do much better, way better if they want to beat GB. Rodgers and Adam’s are much better than Brees and Thomas since Brees is way past his prime and Aaron can still sling it and play at a high level. Also the GB defense can pass rush and is very solid.

Brady today wasn’t spectacular, but what he did do is not put his team in bad situations by turning the ball over. The first two possessions were piss poor and were not able to sustain drives, but afterwards things settled in.

They have to do much better, way better if they want to beat GB. Rodgers and Adam’s are much better than Brees and Thomas since Brees is way past his prime and Aaron can still sling it and play at a high level. Also the GB defense can pass rush and is very solid.

GB can be better than NO all they want but NO was a bad matchup for Tampa and were 0-2 vs them. They matchup better vs GB and GB ain’t playing a team starting a qb with a broken hand

It's not the whole board, although that would be nice. And it's not just one season either. Belichick is a sloppy GM and has been for much of his tenure in New England. Generally he got away with it because Brady was good enough to tip the scale back in their favor. However, it would catch up with the team intermittently... 2006 (Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabrielle & Chad Jackson), 2013 (Dobson, Boyce & Thompkins) and of course 2020 (post-Brady Newton debacle). The only person he's ever fully taken care of salary-wise is himself apparently. Stephen and Brian.

Those specific years and players you cite coincidentally are all with McDaniels. And the drafts from 01-04 and 09-12 are way better, coincidentally when McDaniels is not in Foxboro.

Bill Belichick's record is so Great with Brady. It would have been good, however, without Brady. On the other hand Brady's record is so Great with Bill Bellichick. Hopefully, Brady's record would have just OK without Bill Belichick.

It was brilliant because it worked. It would have been viewed much differently had we lost.
It worked because he had a player make THE most clutch defensive play in SB history. He then threw that player to the curb after publicly humiliating him in the SB a few years later.

Tom was not the super duper star he is today in 2002. Many players including Rodney Harrison came here because they liked the absence of fanfare and fluff, and they knew that they'd be given a fair shot to play and they had a chance to earn personal success in the context of commitment to the team. It's why most of the guys on the team now want to stay, including Julian, I believe. The Pats are still exceptional in this regard.

The departure of Brady does have an effect - many guys wanted the chance to play with him. But odds were Tom should have retired already. We knew we were moving on from him a long time ago. As far as Tom personally, he spent two decades seeing close friends sent away to other cities and teams, and always interacted with fellow players who got to play in a freer culture, yes less committed to winning but happier. Tom earned the right to go and play where he wants, and I respect that. He didn't want to stay here. And no I didn't expect Kraft to replace Belichick with Arians and let Tom have Nelson de la Rosa on the sidelines just to please him for a year or two more. Tom said he's happy to be away from the cold (although it gets mighty cold in Green Bay if the Bucs make it there).

I don't blame anybody for being mesmerized by Brady's individual success and stats and records. He earned them. But as the Celtics remained competitive and won titles after Russell, the Patriots should too. As with Auerbach, the Patriots need Belichick today more than ever. At least as the GM, and on the sidelines as long as he wants to be. It's not about breaking records although I would love to overtake that racist Halas and that assh*le Shula. It's about sustaining the winning attitude and culture. It's not flashy and not always pretty, but it's part of what makes the Patriots the best. Even if we don't win the Super Bowl.

I don't normally disagree with your take on things, but this is way off base.

Rodney was considered done and was let go by his team. He was then offered a job here. That may have been all that was behind his move here.

Apparently, Tom didn't know that he was leaving. If he did why would he have spent millions to build a brand new home in Brookline after winning his 6th SB?

The Celtics never won squat until Russell came along, won 11 of 13 while he was here, including with Bill as the HC after Red moved upstairs, and then they went many years without winning another tile. They were never as dominant again.

It's about the players and always has been. The proof is right before our eyes now with the GOAT Brady taking, of all teams, the TB Bucs deep into the playoffs while the GOAT HC is sitting at home watching on the boob tube.

Bill Belichick's record is so Great with Brady. It would have been good, however, without Brady. On the other hand Brady's record is so Great with Bill Bellichick. Hopefully, Brady's record would have just OK without Bill Belichick.
Right now Bill is 26-28 without Brady as Patriots HC.

Bill gets a good QB and he probably would have a good record but you could say that about any coach.

How about going for 4th and 13 in the 3rd quarter from the Giant's 31 yard line in Superbowl XLII with the score at 7-3 instead of letting Gostkowski hit a 49 yard field goal or hitting a punt. Same Gostkowski who just went 7/8 from 50 yards+ this season. 49 yard isn't even THAT long. How can it be better to try 4th and 13th? What percentage are we playing? Why not punt if you want. Score was 7-3, even point matters. And we lost 17-14. We could have had those 3 pts if we had attempted. It might not have gone in but for god sake it was better than a 4th and 13th. Even punt is better.

That has to be one of the monumentally stupid decisions in a Superbowl by any coach.

And after that Superbowl Bill getting on a podium and saying the coaching staff let the players down ......... well no **** they did. They never managed to figure out a way to stop the Giant's 4-man rush. 4 man frickin rush getting pressure........... all game long. Frickin Logan Mankins may be HoF worthy but that game he stank it up. He always came up small in the biggest games. No wonder he never got any Superbowls with us despite being here 10 years.
Okay, that's 6.

The Pats biggest mistake then was going pass-happy vs a defense that was strong against the pass but weak against the run.

Right now Bill is 26-28 without Brady as Patriots HC.

Bill gets a good QB and he probably would have a good record but you could say that about any coach.
Yeah I have to agree. Brady in one season without Bill has surpassed anything Bill did without him. Brady is 13-5 without Bill currently and in a game Bill never could get to without Brady

Green Bay is the most over-rated team in the playoffs. The reason they've looked so good is because of the lack of competition. The record of their opponents this year was 109-146-1, far and away the worst in the entire NYFL, and their playoff win was against a team without an offense and an injury to their top defender.

I'm pretty sure that GB fans wanted Brees and NO in the NFCCG, a team they beat during the year by a TD, than TB and TB, a team they lost to by 4 TDs.

Btw, I never really followed the Butler drama that closely. I always assumed that he must have done something wrong or he would have been more vocal after he left. Seeing his comments now in this thread has me believing that it was his high character that kept him from vocalizing his displeasure. I'm convinced now that Butler didn't do anything that warranted the treatment he received during that SB.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back