PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Covid thread for the other 31 teams

Cancel them. Cancel everything. This thread will go about four pages before its canceled.
I think if people stay away from taking political sides on it, we will be fine. There's no good reason that we should be discussing anything but impact and science.

Originally I thought the same thing, but seeing the incredibly low number of positives with no hospitalizations has me thinking otherwise. In a game where players practically drool on each other, it doesn't seem to be spreading all that much.
I would think since it's outdoors, droplet transmission is severely spread out, vs inside where it can hang in the air for a while. Air currents probably move it out of the way pretty quickly. It would take someone spitting or coughing directly into another person's face.

32 teams tested every day, all players, all coaches, all staff, I would guess that's 4,000+ tests a day. 1% false positives would then be 40/day. You would rather have false positives than false negatives, so the thresholds are set really low. I think that is what you will get when testing that often with that many people.

When false positives cluster on one team, though, it seems like there must also be some errors going on.
I obviously don't know the ins and outs but let's say that 53 players and 40 some odd staffers were tested so I would say ballpark of 100 people and I would assume that would be the max amount. In that 100 people they had 4 false positives? Once again maybe 4% is normal and I am clueless (a decent chance of that) but that just seems like a lot for one round of tests.

This season isn't going to finish is it? The only reason everything isn't already shut down is that the NFL is in denial that they have this under control. This is going to get worse before it gets better.
I think it all comes down the scheduling, it's not like other sports where you can play 3 or 4 times a week. If they schedule starts getting way too mucked up, that will probably be the downfall.

Looks like we are once again having covid issues with apparently another positive test.

the who?

Exactly. They’ve been canceled for so long that people forgot about them. One of the first victims of Cancel Culture, I believe.

Exactly. They’ve been canceled for so long that people forgot about them. One of the first victims of Cancel Culture, I believe.
What's your take on the Paradox of tolerance?

What's your take on the Paradox of tolerance?
I think it’s incredibly convoluted. But one can make a point that it’s where we’re at right now.

I think it all comes down the scheduling, it's not like other sports where you can play 3 or 4 times a week. If they schedule starts getting way too mucked up, that will probably be the downfall.
Can't they add more weeks to the season in order to fit the games in. Worst case scenario, they move the super bowl. Would that be possible. If so, then I see that as more likely than a canceled season.

400,000+ by Feb 1st is the projection given the last few weeks.

Can't they add more weeks to the season in order to fit the games in. Worst case scenario, they move the super bowl. Would that be possible. If so, then I see that as more likely than a canceled season.
I hear the owners are pretty dead set on not adding weeks. So who knows what will happen

I don’t know, but I’m a big fan of the new buzzword - “super spreader event.” I thought they were referring to a party at a gay bathhouse at first.
The bathhouses have been closed around here for many years.

whatever your opinion is politically the NFL needs to come up with a better plan. sure they can wade through it now if one team gets it and reschedule the game.

but what if guys on 6 teams get it? cant reschedule 6 games. I like the idea of a localized bubble

I would think since it's outdoors, droplet transmission is severely spread out, vs inside where it can hang in the air for a while. Air currents probably move it out of the way pretty quickly. It would take someone spitting or coughing directly into another person's face.

Then putting large numbers of players indoors or forcing them to get into planes after they slobbered all over each other for 3 hours should increase the risks, but the numbers don't show that.

whatever your opinion is politically the NFL needs to come up with a better plan. sure they can wade through it now if one team gets it and reschedule the game.

but what if guys on 6 teams get it? cant reschedule 6 games. I like the idea of a localized bubble
What do you mean by a localized bubble? The number of players, coaches and necessary employees doesn't seem to make a bubble possible.

As for an NYFL plan, they have one. Make as much money as possible as quickly as they can.

i think anyone that can't control themselves and just have to bring politics into a thread should be immediately banned from that thread. If they keep doing it, ban them from the board.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back