PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comparing the big 4 of the modern era: Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big difference between Brady and the other QBs is that other franchises, when they know they have a great QB, decide that they need to take advantage of that by making major investments, money or early draft pics, in getting great receivers to take advantage of their great QB. Belichick has generally played it differently. He has a great QB and therefore invested in other positions and depth because he knows his QB can make a good receiver great and an average receiver good. The one year Belichick acquired great receivers, 2007, Brady broke the record books.

Manning was always more prone to coughing up the football, and that loses games.

"Oh yea but thats because Manning was willing to take risks, Brady just dink and donked up and down the field all day. Mediocre, no talent. Manning > Brady

- Every manning ball washer

This is SOOO reminiscent of the old Russell Chamberlin discussions.

People don't understand the concept of a player sacrificing individual stats to benefit the team, throwing a boll away rather than taking the sack, helps the team hurts your QB rating.

It also doesn't consider the GREAT player who makes other better, both by his skill and his leadership, we saw how Brady reacted when his team was behind and saw Roger and Manning in similar situations go into a pity party on the sidelines rather than rallying their team.

The point about Brady allowing BB to draft D players rather than use draft capital on getting O players as the top priority is because of TB12's ability to make the players he plays with Better see the skill players he has played with and how his decision making takes pressure off the OL by allowing him to get the ball out of his hand.

Stats are great as far as they go but the lack of context makes them somewhat useless.

Manning is said to be the better reg season QB but Brady has a winning % that is 10% higher than Manning's His winning % in the playoffs higher than any other QB in the modern era except Staubach, IF the Patriots do win the SB this year how playoff winning % will bet better than any QB regular season % in the past 60 years. For players with more than 50 wins. His superiority blows my mind. It annoys me that people are still trying to spin Brady as something other than the GOAT.

there is no comparison

Another "Brady v. _____" thread this month. Is this number 435?
Pretty much. I really don't know why it bothers anyone at this point. Has Brady not done enough to prove that these lists are meaningless?

The "vs." threads are fine to engage in if you're bored or something.

I'm in the place-beyond-stupid-bar-arguments, Bradyvana.

These "support stats" are utter ********.

People can just be so dumb when it comes to statistics. I was actually thinking about starting a thread on metrics though, recently. When I get more thoughts together, I might do it.

A big difference between Brady and the other QBs is that other franchises, when they know they have a great QB, decide that they need to take advantage of that by making major investments, money or early draft pics, in getting great receivers to take advantage of their great QB. Belichick has generally played it differently. He has a great QB and therefore invested in other positions and depth because he knows his QB can make a good receiver great and an average receiver good. The one year Belichick acquired great receivers, 2007, Brady broke the record books.

The way that I would put it is: with other great QB's, their organization realized they had a franchise QB and invested early draft pics and cap space to help that QB become a top QB.

In contrast, BB realized he had the greatest QB of all time, one that was so transcendent that a Brady led offense would be a top offense even without investing top draft capital and cap space in the offense. Thus, the majority of BB's top draft picks and cap space have been devoted to defense, except as you say in 2007 and, as it looks, this year.

Plus, Brady has never really complained. That is why there will only be one Tom Brady. Notice that nobody really argues that he is the GOAT anymore. ;)

Until the last year or two, one really interesting fact was that Brady had a better passer rating than Peyton both indoors AND outdoors, and yet Peyton had a better overall passer rating than Brady.

You may ask how can that possibly be true, and the answer, after a moment's consideration, is self-evident.

The way that I would put it is: with other great QB's, their organization realized they had a franchise QB and invested early draft pics and cap space to help that QB become a top QB.

In contrast, BB realized he had the greatest QB of all time, one that was so transcendent that a Brady led offense would be a top offense even without investing top draft capital and cap space in the offense. Thus, the majority of BB's top draft picks and cap space have been devoted to defense, except as you say in 2007 and, as it looks, this year.

Plus, Brady has never really complained. That is why there will only be one Tom Brady. Notice that nobody really argues that he is the GOAT anymore. ;)

I like that thought. What year did Belichick stop and say "this could be the greatest QB of all time".

When did YOU start thinking that could happen? For me it was probably halfway through 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back