PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you feel about Peyton Manning now that it’s long over?

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
In the heat of their rivalry, I had a burning hatred of Peyton Manning that was based primarily on his constant sports-media propagandist machine. It was like Archie Manning had the entire ESPN payroll over every weekend for cocaine and hookers, filmed it, and had them singing his sons praises under threat of exposure.

I held his youthful indiscretions against him pretty harshly, I probably minimized his abilities in the same way people do with Tom when they seriously hate him and love some other quarterback, and -maybe above all- I always knew that we were right that Tom was better.

(Side note on minimizing someone’s abilities: You know you’re doing it when you say he sucks but when you’re playing him you’re more worried than usual).

Not sure if it’s because Tom has taken his rightful place as the indisputable GOAT in the eyes of everyone but the most deranged, the giddy, excited way I see Peyton now looking at Brady whenever I see them together, his media sycophants being vanquished, or the simple fact that he’s long gone, but I don’t despise him anymore, and feel like I can judge him in the pantheon of NFL all-time quarterbacks more fairly than I would have before.

Today Tom is chasing a mind-blowing 8th Super Bowl ring, and I’ve lost all count of his Championship game appearances. He’s gotta’ go through Rodgers, he’s gotta’ go through Mahomes or Josh Allen.

Once upon a time, though, Tom Brady versus Peyton Manning was a much bigger ****ing deal. Every time they played there we’re serious #1 seed implications _and_ GOAT implications, and that didn’t change when Manning went to Denver, significantly downgrading the AFC south and significantly upgrading the AFC West.

Dude wasn’t the GOAT, but he was the GOATs biggest rival. Von Miller & Company significantly elevated his once abysmal post season record, but I’m sure, we’re i to go back and rewatch his one-and-dones, I could probably find a few I’d let him off the hook for.

I also _do not_ believe the 2013 Denver Broncos were the greatest offense of all time.
I consider a number of Peyton Manning Colts offenses and Tom Brady Patriot offenses superior, more dynamic, more championship reliable, despite the statistics. I don’t think that’s unfair.

That said, the choker label isn’t unjustified at all. It wasn’t a sleight. It never was. It was real AF. It didn’t even need to be a playoff game. If the stakes were elevated enough by the media and standings, he would fall apart the moment the pressure hit. Patriots go up by 14? Pack it the **** in. He’s sulking Mr. Sour ****. Honestly, thinking back, it’s actually kind of crazy that that was the quarterback.

The most uninspiring **** I’ve ever seen. I’ll never forget a little Wes Welker trying futilely to rally the Broncos on the sideline during their Seahawks beat down, while Peyton sulked and slouched in the background.

The lack of intangible strengths here, outside the X’s and O’s, were really kind of breathtaking.

Yet, statistically, he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, so the X’s and O’s we’re certainly there. He liked to get his TD passes instead of hand it off, but it’s not like that’s easy on a cluttered field.

He played in a defensively hapless division when they were probably the worst in the league, and played in a dome, yet his production didn’t have the arbitrary stat-compiler that Brees sometimes did. It’s impossible to not give him credit for being able to abuse defenses, but gritty postseason defenses always seemed to punch him straight in the mouth for some reason.

Basically, nothing has really changed except the lack of disdain. The entire Tom Brady / Peyton Manning arch ultimately just has most Patriot fans looking like smarter football fans than Colt fans, since we’ve telling them since 2001-2004, and our arguments held up.

Maybe home bias helped put us on the right side of history, but I don’t really think so. More likely home bias prevented the others from seeing the glaringly obvious.

(1.) Tom Brady and (2.) Joe Montana is set in stone, and with Aaron Rodgers probably adding himself to everyone’s unofficial top 5 list, it’ll be kind of interesting to see how everyone looks back at this entire 20 years of modern quarterbacks when they’re all gone and we’re watching all new people.

Has the all-time great quarterback list now become so cluttered with wannabes (Marino, Favre, Bradshaw, etc), that they’re now utterly irrelevant beneath Number One & Number Two? Is it too ambiguous now beneath Tom and (way down below Tom) Montana, that Peyton is just one of many era-stars, or was he something special enough in his own regard to deserve special all-time distinction?

Honestly I had a lot of respect for Peyton through the 2000s. Like clearly Brady was my guy and it was hilarious when we beat the Colts in the playoffs, but I didn't hold him in contempt or anything. The regular season showdowns were usually no joke, anyway.

Once Peyton crapped the bed against the Seahawks after the "best offensive season of all time" only for Brady to turn around and beat the same Seahawks team a year later, my attitude towards Peyton had firmly shifted towards seeing him as a silver spoon binch choke jobbing failure of the redneck aristocracy. His corpse being carried to a ring in 2015 made me think less of him, if anything. Then 2016-??? happened and lol, 7-2 in rings are you kidding me hahaha

used to hate him. now it's kind of like whatever when he's brought up

as far as his ranking goes if you're doing guys that played in the super bowl era he is somewhere 3-5. I never know how to properly rank the great QBs that came before.

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Staubach/Manning/Young
4. Staubach/Manning/Young
5. Staubach/Manning/Young

those 3 are a tier above the jumbled mess after IMO

jumbled mess = Elway, Marino, Favre, Brees, Rodgers

Same as ever. He's an all-time great, but overrated when you're talking about the best of the best of the best.

Manning and the Colts were a team I dread when they’d face off with the Pats.

Even when the Pats won from ‘01-‘04, the Colts gave plenty of resistance. Then the tied turned starting with the ‘05 beatdown and getting swept in 2006. Pats barely escaped in 2007, then lost twice more to Manning in 2008 and 2009.

4-6 against Brady led Pats and 1-2 in playoffs with Colts.

In the heat of their rivalry, I had a burning hatred of Peyton Manning that was based primarily on his constant sports-media propagandist machine. It was like Archie Manning had the entire ESPN payroll over every weekend for cocaine and hookers, filmed it, and had them singing his sons praises under threat of exposure.

I held his youthful indiscretions against him pretty harshly, I probably minimized his abilities in the same way people do with Tom when they seriously hate him and love some other quarterback, and -maybe above all- I always knew that we were right that Tom was better.

(Side note on minimizing someone’s abilities: You know you’re doing it when you say he sucks but when you’re playing him you’re more worried than usual).

Not sure if it’s because Tom has taken his rightful place as the indisputable GOAT in the eyes of everyone but the most deranged, the giddy, excited way I see Peyton now looking at Brady whenever I see them together, his media sycophants being vanquished, or the simple fact that he’s long gone, but I don’t despise him anymore, and feel like I can judge him in the pantheon of NFL all-time quarterbacks more fairly than I would have before.

Today Tom is chasing a mind-blowing 8th Super Bowl ring, and I’ve lost all count of his Championship game appearances. He’s gotta’ go through Rodgers, he’s gotta’ go through Mahomes or Josh Allen.

Once upon a time, though, Tom Brady versus Peyton Manning was a much bigger ****ing deal. Every time they played there we’re serious #1 seed implications _and_ GOAT implications, and that didn’t change when Manning went to Denver, significantly downgrading the AFC south and significantly upgrading the AFC West.

Dude wasn’t the GOAT, but he was the GOATs biggest rival. Von Miller & Company significantly elevated his once abysmal post season record, but I’m sure, we’re i to go back and rewatch his one-and-dones, I could probably find a few I’d let him off the hook for.

I also _do not_ believe the 2013 Denver Broncos were the greatest offense of all time.
I consider a number of Peyton Manning Colts offenses and Tom Brady Patriot offenses superior, more dynamic, more championship reliable, despite the statistics. I don’t think that’s unfair.

That said, the choker label isn’t unjustified at all. It wasn’t a sleight. It never was. It was real AF. It didn’t even need to be a playoff game. If the stakes were elevated enough by the media and standings, he would fall apart the moment the pressure hit. Patriots go up by 14? Pack it the **** in. He’s sulking Mr. Sour ****. Honestly, thinking back, it’s actually kind of crazy that that was the quarterback.

The most uninspiring **** I’ve ever seen. I’ll never forget a little Wes Welker trying futilely to rally the Broncos on the sideline during their Seahawks beat down, while Peyton sulked and slouched in the background.

The lack of intangible strengths here, outside the X’s and O’s, were really kind of breathtaking.

Yet, statistically, he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, so the X’s and O’s we’re certainly there. He liked to get his TD passes instead of hand it off, but it’s not like that’s easy on a cluttered field.

He played in a defensively hapless division when they were probably the worst in the league, and played in a dome, yet his production didn’t have the arbitrary stat-compiler that Brees sometimes did. It’s impossible to not give him credit for being able to abuse defenses, but gritty postseason defenses always seemed to punch him straight in the mouth for some reason.

Basically, nothing has really changed except the lack of disdain. The entire Tom Brady / Peyton Manning arch ultimately just has most Patriot fans looking like smarter football fans than Colt fans, since we’ve telling them since 2001-2004, and our arguments held up.

Maybe home bias helped put us on the right side of history, but I don’t really think so. More likely home bias prevented the others from seeing the glaringly obvious.

(1.) Tom Brady and (2.) Joe Montana is set in stone, and with Aaron Rodgers probably adding himself to everyone’s unofficial top 5 list, it’ll be kind of interesting to see how everyone looks back at this entire 20 years of modern quarterbacks when they’re all gone and we’re watching all new people.

Has the all-time great quarterback list now become so cluttered with wannabes (Marino, Favre, Bradshaw, etc), that they’re now utterly irrelevant beneath Number One & Number Two? Is it too ambiguous now beneath Tom and (way down below Tom) Montana, that Peyton is just one of many era-stars, or was he something special enough in his own regard to deserve special all-time distinction?
Wow! There's so much to digest there. Let me add my $.02.

The Manning brothers are frauds and criminals. One tea-bagged a young lady who was trying to help him and the other sold game-worn helmets for profit that were supposed to go to charities. If their father wasn't an ex-NFL QB they wouldn't have been put up as admirable. They weren't.

And it all comes from the top, from Archie. I remember hearing him on the morning of the Pats 2007 SB on radio whining to millions of people about Fran Tarkenton being in the HOF and not him. I thought that was pretty bad.

The NYFL world thought that the Mannings were going to rule the world but they didn't see Brady coming. Not many people other than **** Rehbein did.

I have a hard time arguing he's not #3 on the GOAT list after Brady and Montana. We point at his lack of rings and all the one and dones but let's face it, Tom was in the way for a lot of those. If there was no Tom he would be a lot more successful in the playoffs.

It's hard to ignore that Manning revolutionized the way the QB position is played, how he read things at the line of scrimmage. Says a lot too that Brady has said Manning is the best QB he's ever seen. Without Manning maybe we don't see guys like Mahomes play the way that they do.

Peyton is a step above Aaron, Brees, and the rest (Mahomes book not written yet). I feared him more than any of those guys - rightfully. He was always on some fairly stacked teams but he also maximized his offensive talent too. After some early choking he mostly figured it out by the middle of his career and I always feared his comeback potential (post-2006 AFC Championship basically). Like Tom, he also understood availability = greatest ability and other than the one big injury was always there for his team.

Really the only reason I think Tom was and is fundamentally better than Peyton is that Tom deals with adversity much better both with his play in-game and in rallying the rest of his team with leadership. Tom was also somewhat lucky in that his big injury (ACL) didn't have a long-term impact unlike Peyton's neck injury. Otherwise they are the same player and Peyton really blazed the path that Tom followed, eventually to a place where Tom superceded Peyton in QB skills, but early on Peyton was definitely the better quarterback in terms of passing ability.

Peyton is definitively in my top 3 of QBs I've seen (since the 80s) - right behind Tom and Joe Montana. Rodgers probably makes the outside of that list with Marino in some order but both a tier below the top 3. Rodgers is more "physically talented" than any of those guys but he plays with so much ego, even more than Peyton, and he is a consummate front-runner. His team leadership leaves a lot to be desired and clearly rubs off on his teammates who choke when faced with real adversity. A lot of Rodgers' flaws are due to his personal insecurity (the opposite of Tom). Rodgers in many ways is the modern Steve Young with the benefit of friendly rules that have let him stay healthier and lengthen his career.

Mahomes is the one guy I've seen that could surpass Peyton (very unlikely to surpass even Montana let alone Brady who seems untouchable) but it remains to be seen how healthy he stays, how he deals with roster turnover, and how he deals with new coaching (Andy Reid ain't gonna coach another 15 years). Mahomes has Rodgers' level of physical talent but in just 4 years I've already seen many more examples of him rallying his team from bad situations than Rodgers has shown in 14 years. He's been blessed with incredible weapons and coaching and that won't last his career, but his mentality is already evidently superior.

Brees is a Marino-lite to me. Yes, he won one, but in general he's essentially a less talented version of Marino - high volume pocket passer extraordinaire with incredible accuracy and great understanding of the game at a level just below the Brady/Manning highest echelon (but unlike Marino just an average at best arm). Friendlier rules obviously also let him play longer than Marino.

Wilson reminds me of Big Ben in some ways. Not play style but career progression and also similar in that his style is going to lead to more nagging injuries. Doubt he challenges for another ring without a big change in circumstances but he's a HoF QB.

Of the young guys (excepting the rookies from this year), only Josh Allen and Joe Burrow have all-timer potential in my eyes. Josh Allen reminds me of John Elway (that's his upside) but in a modern game that favors passing. Accuracy, knowing when to play the pocket vs. use his legs, and health will be his challenges. Joe Burrow is a guy that really intrigues me - he could be the next Brady/Peyton in his processing speed, accuracy, pocket feel. He also now has a fantastic young talent to play the first half of his career with in Jamarr Chase. A lot of development needed but he has that innate potential.

As a Pats fan I was always more concerned with facing John Elway than Peyton Manning - though to be fair those were different teams and different New England quarterbacks.

Peyton was a great player, well deserving of being a first ballot Hall of Famer. I wouldn't classify him as being overrated necessarily, but there was certainly a degree of over-exposure and over the top platitudes.

Of course we also live in an age of today's favorite flavor constantly being held up as the greatest ever. In regards to quarterbacks, Brett Favre was an excellent example of that phenomenon.

As a Pats fan I was always more concerned with facing John Elway than Peyton Manning - though to be fair those were different teams and different New England quarterbacks.

Peyton was a great player, well deserving of being a first ballot Hall of Famer. I wouldn't classify him as being overrated necessarily, but there was certainly a degree of over-exposure and over the top platitudes.

Of course we also live in an age of today's favorite flavor constantly being held up as the greatest ever. In regards to quarterbacks, Brett Favre was an excellent example of that phenomenon.

Favre got inflated beyond his rings/production due to TV; John Madden happened to call NFC games on Fox during this portion of his career and would constantly fawn over Favre.

I hate to say it. But Manning & Rodgers are comparable in ways. They looked unstoppable during the regular season. Yet, something in them changed once January hit. Manning is obviously better in the postseason due to 4 trips to SB with different coaches. But they are alike in many ways. Both are deserving of HOF. Obviously. But unlike Brady, I don't think you can look at these two and say--"Geez. You know they accomplished everything they could've accomplished".

Every elite QB has had a nemesis team who gave them issues though.

For Montana it was the Giants. For Marino it was Buffalo. For Favre it was Dallas. For Manning it was Pats & Chargers. For Rivers it was NE. For Brady it was Denver. For Rodgers it's SF. For Mahomes it's been Brady lol.

I’d definitely take Peyton over Aaron Rodgers, though.

It’s crazy how Tom Brady’s 5th, 6th and 7th Super Bowl rings completely transformed the landscape of everyone’s top 5 or 10 lists.

Guys like Elway and Marino used to appear at the bottom end of a lot of peoples top 5 GOAT lists and now that just looks utterly absurd.

I remember really stressing whether or not Tom would get his 4th and now his statue is so tall and so foundationally sound it’s completely transformed the way everyone considers all-time lists in that any “list” is entirely a list of notable-to-barely-notable mentions.

Of the young guys (excepting the rookies from this year), only Josh Allen and Joe Burrow have all-timer potential in my eyes. Josh Allen reminds me of John Elway (that's his upside) but in a modern game that favors passing. Accuracy, knowing when to play the pocket vs. use his legs, and health will be his challenges. Joe Burrow is a guy that really intrigues me - he could be the next Brady/Peyton in his processing speed, accuracy, pocket feel. He also now has a fantastic young talent to play the first half of his career with in Jamarr Chase. A lot of development needed but he has that innate potential.
This Burrow take aged well, although more because of Mahomes melting down than Burrow playing particularly well (as is this case - better to be fortunate / have teammates step up than being good by yourself!)

We'll see how he performs on the biggest stage however. Bengals shaky o-line vs. Donald, Von Miller, Floyd = potential big trouble

I’d definitely take Peyton over Aaron Rodgers, though.
Yeh Manning had his fair share of playoff dissapointments.

But unlike Rodgers, at least he got to four SB's.

Rodgers has a habit of playing worse if things aren't going his way. You can see it in his demeanor. I never got that vibe with Manning.

After watching what Rodgers and Mahomes did this post season my respect for Peyton grew.

Still hate him. I don't think that ever influenced my opinion of his football skills. He is one of the best stats, regular season QBs of all time, and the biggest big game choker to ever play. He choked constantly in college and the pros. It is what it is. He is one of the last QBs I would want if I had to win a playoff game against a really good team.
He is a phony, garbage human being though. Not going to get into the full list of reasons, but I will take issue with the "youthful indescretions" claim. Please don't minimize sexual assault like so many have done in shielding this scumbag. Youth is no excuse. Normal human beings know the difference between right and wrong long before they approach their twenties. And he victimized her again when she gathered the courage to report his actions. He is a piece of garbage. He and Dungy might be the worst coach/QB combo of all time if we are judging character.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back