PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady set to break 2 important Manning accomplishments in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This pic is not realistic......

Brady will look much younger at 50 after he wins all those rings......
Hmmm, interested in seeing a picture of Tom with Gisele in old age.

The all-time record that matters most this year is Belichick tying Paul Brown with 7 NFL championships.

Brown has 3 NFL championships and 4 AAFC championships. Big difference.

Brown has 3 NFL championships and 4 AAFC championships. Big difference.

Brady needs 2 more super bowls to break Graham’s record of 7 [professional] championships...

Last edited:
Brady needs 2 more super bowls to break Starr and Graham’s record of 7 championships...

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm.

AAFC championships are not NFL championships. Graham has 3 NFL championships, not 7. The level of competition in the AAFC was not the same as the NFL. He does have 7 “professional” championships, but we are talking about the NFL record book.

Starr does not have 7 championships; he has 5. It’s double dipping his SB1 and SB2 championships by giving him NFL Championships and Super Bowls championships both in the same season. He won the NFL Championship (now called the NFCCG) in route to SB1 and SB2. You can’t win two championships in one season or four championships in two seasons, which is what is being done to calculate that Starr total. If you’re going that route then Brady has 15 championships right now (9 AFC, 6 Super Bowl.)

AAFC championships are not NFL championships. Graham has 3 NFL championships, not 7. The level of competition in the AAFC was not the same as the NFL. He does have 7 “professional” championships, but we are talking about the NFL record book.

Starr does not have 7 championships; he has 5. It’s double dipping his SB1 and SB2 championships by giving him NFL Championships and Super Bowls championships both in the same season. He won the NFL Championship (now called the NFCCG) in route to SB1 and SB2. You can’t win two championships in one season or four championships in two seasons, which is what is being done to calculate that Starr total. If you’re going that route then Brady has 15 championships right now (9 AFC, 6 Super Bowl.)

Think about that. An AFC Championship does get you a Lamar Hunt trophy and a confetti celebration. So between AFC championships and Super Bowl championships, the winning confetti has fallen on Tom Brady while he’s held up a trophy FIFTEEN times. It’s unfathomable.

My bad, Starr has 5 NFL titles.

Graham has 7 professional championships. All I was saying is if Brady wants the record for most professional championships (regardless of level of play), he needs 2 more super bowls.

He's generally ranked above many quarterbacks in NFL history who deserve to be ranked way ahead of him. It's a combination of recency bias and the "immaculate Brees" syndrome, whereby he''s sheltered to any criticism, ever, whereas every other QB is skewered as part of the job.
I see him as very similar to Fran Tarkenton actually, maybe a half-notch better because he did win a superbowl. but Win-Loss wise, and stats compared to his contemporaneous peers.

I see him as very similar to Fran Tarkenton actually, maybe a half-notch better because he did win a superbowl. but Win-Loss wise, and stats compared to his contemporaneous peers.

Very good comparison.

Someone was outright angry last year when I ranked Staubach above Brees. They cited a stats comparison (lol). Staubach was better than Brees, with his only knock being a fairly short career (he served in the Navy). People don’t understand that although Staubach’s stats “sucked” though the lens of millennial tunnel vision history (NFL began in 2001), he led the league in passer rating four times, was he league’s best on-field leader, and made to four Super Bowls, winning two and losing twice to a historically dominant Steelers team. I don’t even know if Brees is in the top 5 since 2000. I’d say Brady, Warner, Manning, Rodgers, and then a dog fight between a lot of players. So it’s hard to be a top-5 all time QB when at best you are #5 QB of your era.

Very good comparison.

Someone was outright angry last year when I ranked Staubach above Brees. They cited a stats comparison (lol). Staubach was better than Brees, with his only knock being a fairly short career (he served in the Navy). People don’t understand that although Staubach’s stats “sucked” though the lens of millennial tunnel vision history (NFL began in 2001), he led the league in passer rating four times, was he league’s best on-field leader, and made to four Super Bowls, winning two and losing twice to a historically dominant Steelers team. I don’t even know if Brees is in the top 5 since 2000. I’d say Brady, Warner, Manning, Rodgers, and then a dog fight between a lot of players. So it’s hard to be a top-5 all time QB when at best you are #5 QB of your era.

You have to put Brees in the top 5 since 2000 due to his numbers. First all time in yards? Second all time in TDs thrown? And all of this was done since 2000. Maybe Roethlisberger belongs there as well...

Very good comparison.

I'd never put Warner above Brees but other than that I think your argument is well thought out. Brees is an amazingly accurate QB.

I remember the video comparing Brees with archers. Although the comparison was not apples-to-apples (Olympic archers shoot from over 76 yards away), what impressed me was that Brees able to hit an archery bulls-eye from 20 yards out 10 times out of 10 with the exact same angle on the release, spin rotation and ball speed. There's more to being a great QB than accuracy, but Brees does offer more (e.g. durability, leadership, various great stats).

Not sarcastic, accurate.

Very good comparison.

I did a stats based QB comp across eras. I didn't complete everything and the stats are only updated through the 2017 season, but Staubach ranks very favorably in my metric; a top five all-time QB. I've come to see him as criminally underrated.

Brady? In my analysis, no one surpasses him in the modern era. I was surprised to see that, to be honest. I expected him to be Top 5 statistically, but tops in the modern era was crazy. All time, you have the Sammy Baughs of the world with their crazy stats against scrubs coming out on top.

I did a stats based QB comp across eras. I didn't complete everything and the stats are only updated through the 2017 season, but Staubach ranks very favorably in my metric; a top five all-time QB. I've come to see him as criminally underrated.

Brady? In my analysis, no one surpasses him in the modern era. I was surprised to see that, to be honest. I expected him to be Top 5 statistically, but tops in the modern era was crazy. All time, you have the Sammy Baughs of the world with their crazy stats against scrubs coming out on top.

And does that even take into account Brady throwing to far below average WR/TEs from 2001-06 while Forehead never played a season without two Canton WRs and a pro bowl caliber TE?

Brees was genuinely great on that Super Bowl run he had. 8 touchdowns, 0 picks, no game with a passer rating below 105. Peyton never had a Super Bowl run like that, and never had a Super Bowl game like Brees had against the Colts (who were a top 10 scoring defense that season, by the way.) And that 2009 Saints offense didn't have superstars at running back OR wide receiver (Colston and Pierre Thomas just squeaked over 1000 yards from scrimmaged, and that's it.)

To me Brees and Rodgers are pretty comparable so far honestly. 1 ring guys with eye-popping regular season stats who each had 1 great Super Bowl run in them (Rodgers had a bit of a clunker in the middle of his Super Bowl run that the Packers still won, but he also carved up up a Steelers team in the Super Bowl that had the #1 scoring defense in the league.)

Think about that. An AFC Championship does get you a Lamar Hunt trophy and a confetti celebration. So between AFC championships and Super Bowl championships, the winning confetti has fallen on Tom Brady while he’s held up a trophy FIFTEEN times. It’s unfathomable.
There was no confetti in 2012 or 2018
;)

It will be fun every week to have different ceremonies as Brady and Brees continue to pass each other. Maybe the Saints will stop to celebrate twice in one game.

This is why it’s ridiculous to base future predictions based on past patterns that don’t have any actual identified causation. Any time you’re saying “guarantees” in your assessment from using a pattern (with all different players and different eras), you should either get some sleep or become a billionaire via sports betting like Biff Tannen.

What year does Brady pass bill russell for most championship rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes