PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts sign Brian Hoyer to a 3 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoyer did them a favor when he signed for a minimum and let the 49ers pay the bill. Now they are returning the favor letting him choose where to go and make more money.

Pats playing ball with his agent.

Possible explanation.

Not sure what you are asking.
My assumption is that what Belichick felt was best for the team was cutting Hoyer, and risking that he could resign him after the roster shook out, knowing it was a gamble, just like with bolden last year.
I dont think it was that ambiguous. JMO

Every contract is with EVERY NFL player's agreement. Hoyer can retire and not report. BB is not going to force Hoyer to retire over a 6th or 7th round pick. You really don't understand? Or are you just tryin to argue?

Why would BB care if Hoyer retires after BB has traded him unless it’s a conditional pick tied to him playing.

Why would BB care if Hoyer retires after BB has traded him unless it’s a conditional pick tied to him playing.

I've been open about my dislike of cutting Hoyer. But, at this point, the horse is dead, to the tune of 3 years $12m $9m guaranteed. At this point, we just need to hope that Brady stays healthy for the entire season. There's nothing more to be done, unless you think the 49ers are going to swallow JAG's contract and trade him to the Patriots.

You are right BB does not care - but the other team's GM does care. So before sending a pick for Hoyer, the other GM will call Hoyer's agent and ask if Hoyer will report. When the agent says No the other GM will not offer a pick. The agent will say we already worked out a 3 year, $12M deal with the Colts and ask if the other GM would like to offer more. At that point no GM will offer a pick for Hoyer.

Did you ever ask a girl's friend if the girl will date you? What if her friend says No there is no way she will date you? Do you buy flowers and chocolates and ask her for a date anyway?

The same universe 6 teams are vying for his services and the highest bidder gives him $9m guaranteed.

Is that the same universe that Gerald McCoy didn't bring in even a conditional pick and now that he's made the Panthers roster, (after interest from multiple teams) is guaranteed $8 million for this year alone?

This team never does anything for no reason even though they don’t ever give one

Why didn’t the colts trade for him lol. Could have been a lot cheaper.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but how do we see Brady mentoring Jarrett now that Hoyer is gone. The kid was really grateful towards Hoyer.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but how do we see Brady mentoring Jarrett now that Hoyer is gone. The kid was really grateful towards Hoyer.

True, but those comments were made after Hoyer was released. I didn't take it as him saying Hoyer was more helpful than Brady, but as him thanking someone no longer with the team.

The same universe 6 teams are vying for his services and the highest bidder gives him $9m guaranteed.

The highest bidder has preposterous cap space to burn. Draft picks are a very limited commodity. The fact that Hoyer received $9 million from the Colts doesn't translate into some sort of automatic trade value.

"Stay outta my way, kid. You saw what I did to Garoppolo. I have powers you can't begin to comprehend."

Why didn’t the colts trade for him lol. Could have been a lot cheaper.
Because they're f###### stupid. That type of contract for that type of player is INSANE. Anyone who claims Brian Hoyer, whom I really like, is worth that money falls into one of two of the following categories: 1) an idiot, or 2) a troll.

I said all along I thought keeping Hoyer was more abt helping Stidham then keeping Hoyer as a b/u.

Brady doesn't want that job. Hoyer could have been yapping in Stidhams ear all year.

That said we have enough guys, smart guys on the staff that can do that too.

You people need to get a grip. Are we really chastising Bill for not keeping Hoyer? Hoyer has his chance at a starting gig years ago and failed. And if you say he didn’t...he’s no longer a starter, therefore he failed. Indy panicked and overpaid. Just another example of Belichick playing chess while the rest play checkers...

Because they're f###### stupid. That type of contract for that type of player is INSANE. Anyone who claims Brian Hoyer, whom I really like, is worth that money falls into one of two of the following categories: 1) an idiot, or 2) a troll.
They deserve all the bs coming their way tbh. A putrid team to begin w but after what Irsay did to Luck (leaking retirement while Luck was on sidelines) I have 0 respect for them.

7-9 forever. Not worthy of 8-8, I want them breathing out of a straw.

They just paid Hoyer 9MG to do 1 of 2 things.
A)Lead them to 3rd/4th place in AFCS
B)Hold a clipboard

W/ money to burn. Not sure why its so hard for some to understand this? Everything lined up here for both parties even tho Indy wants nothing to do w starting either of the 2 QBs they have (Hoyer/JB)

Indy has been making all of the right noises about Brissett. if the Colts had had an actual defense in 2017 Brissett had every chance to take the team to 9-7... at least 5 different defensive breakdowns in the 4th quarter make Brissett look a lot worse than he actually is.

3000 passing yards and a QB-INT ratio of nearly 2-1 are both not bad, especially for basically a rookie campaign.

No one's gonna mistake Brissett for the guy he's replacing, but people are being delusional if they think the Colts are completely out of the picture. I could see them managing 9 maybe 10 wins if things fall right for them. Maybe even enough to sneak into the division lead with as chaotic the mess in Houston is right now. Since their management isn't completely incompetent at the moment and they seem to have good coaching personnel, I'd say the Colts have a puncher's chance to do something without Luck.

I'm guessing he calculated that what he might have gotten wasn't worth as much as the goodwill he gained by letting Hoyer get a good pay day. This adds to the branding that the Patriots take care of hard working veterans. "Come on over, veterans. Take a team friendly deal and "you'll be taken care of later on".

Just saying ...

I'm guessing the Colts didn't call, and BB was busy figuring out the roster. It's not like there's an eternity between Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. I'm sure he was surprised by the price Hoyer commanded and is asking himself the same questions as Ken.

They're not done just yet... reportedly working on a new contract with Brissett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3