PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts sign Brian Hoyer to a 3 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?

Hoyer has proven himself to be serviceable, so how is it speculative?
He didn't prove it this year ...
2016 and 2017 he played 12 games and threw 10 TD's ... that's suck territory.
Doubt 1 TD a game would get us anywhere near the playoffs - his arm is too weak.
He's 2+ years from that ... doubt he has improved any.

I agree there. I am a 2 QB guy though....Keeping Hoyer was a safety net but there is also BB being loyal to a guy he likes. tough spot for them...

I do get your point, and I do see some of the logic. But, I think it's crazy to think that player #53 is the key to this team's season, while it's easy to see how the QB2 could become vitally important. Or, to put it another way:

If Mallett had been forced to take over in his rookie year, not a single person on this board, or in the New England region, would be passively accepting the "2 QB with a rookie backup" system.

So, while I do understand those who think 2 QBs is fine, I just think they haven't really paid much attention to that position, outside of 2018 and the JAG era, because Brady is such a towering figure at the QB1 spot.

I do get your point, and I do see some of the logic. But, I think it's crazy to think that player #53 is the key to this team's season, while it's easy to see how the QB2 could become vitally important. Or, to put it another way:

If Mallett had been forced to take over in his rookie year, not a single person on this board, or in the New England region, would be passively accepting the "2 QB with a rookie backup" system.

So, while I do understand those who think 2 QBs is fine, I just think they haven't really paid much attention to that position, outside of 2018 and the JAG era, because Brady is such a towering figure at the QB1 spot.
Ryan Mallett was too stupid to handle QB in the NFL.
He had physical tools ... not much more.

He didn't prove it this year ...

He outplayed Stidham in camp and in the games. Is it your position that no QB can be expected to take forward from previous times?

In that case, why the hell are we rating Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes and others as top QBs? Shouldn't we just say that every QB is tied right now, and start handing out the QB participation trophies?

He outplayed Stidham in camp and in the games. Is it your position that no QB can be expected to take forward from previous times?

In that case, why the hell are we rating Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes and others as top QBs? Shouldn't we just say that every QB is tied right now, and start handing out the QB participation trophies?
They are pretty much tied this year ...
For all we know Brady has regressed ...

We have a receiving core that mostly specialize in intermediate routes ... except for Edelman.
I'll take the strong arm rookie over the noodle arm veteran backup with our WR crew.
This was his problem in 2016/2017 - he cannot drive the ball.
Stidham's arm more replicates Brady than Hoyer ...

They are pretty much tied this year ...
For all we know Brady has regressed ...

We have a receiving core that mostly specialize in intermediate routes ... except for Edelman.
I'll take the strong arm rookie over the noodle arm veteran backup with our WR crew.
This was his problem in 2016/2017 - he cannot drive the ball.
Stidham's arm more replicates Brady than Hoyer ...

They weren't pretty much tied. Hoyer was clearly the superior QB. If you can't even admit that, you've got a binky problem, and I recommend fan rationality therapy.

And Stidham's arm isn't the issue. His readiness is the issue.

They weren't pretty much tied. Hoyer was clearly the superior QB. If you can't even admit that, you've got a binky problem, and I recommend fan rationality therapy.

And Stidham's arm isn't the issue. His readiness is the issue.
I'll take my chances ... either way it's taking chances.
Hoyer is highly intelligent ... downhill from there.

I'll take my chances ... either way it's taking chances.
Hoyer is highly intelligent ... downhill from there.
Don't place my bets for me...your data is off, plus I suck on my own.

Some (much) of this is about letting Hoyer get paid.

Some (much) of this is about letting Hoyer get paid.
I wish I could get Hoyer to buy me some Massachusetts scratch tickets before he leaves.
Guy is so blessed right now ...

C'mon, if BB had intended to bring Hoyer back, he had no real reason to be looking to trade him. And Hoyer tweeted out that he was "still here" after news of his release. Sure some posters here thought BB could trade Hoyer but hey some are still searching the internet for that 1st round pick for Mallett. More often than not it is what it is....Colts desperate beyond belief and Hoyer fortunate. I wish him well.
W/ money to burn. Not sure why its so hard for some to understand this? Everything lined up here for both parties even tho Indy wants nothing to do w starting either of the 2 QBs they have (Hoyer/JB)

And nobody will answer me. Who should the pats have dumped (given they had about 24 hrs to decide) to keep BH on the roster so they could trade him?
Gunner
Calhoun
Obi

IF they wanted to keep and trade him. Then they could have put Thomas in that spot and not IRd Harry.

Gunner
Calhoun
Obi

Not Gunner. The other two fine. And they also would have had to tell BH that earning big money (last chance $) is not possible.

Not Gunner. The other two fine. And they also would have had to tell BH that earning big money (last chance $) is not possible.
What is the obsession with a fringe guy?

It’s not the teams responsibility to worry about whether a guy they are going to trade could get more money if they let him go for nothing.

What is the obsession with a fringe guy?

It’s not the teams responsibility to worry about whether a guy they are going to trade could get more money if they let him go for nothing.
Maybe BB did him a solid? Plausible?

And nobody will answer me. Who should the pats have dumped (given they had about 24 hrs to decide) to keep BH on the roster so they could trade him?
Brady, of course.

In what universe does Brian Hoyer merit a 4th or 5th round pick?

The same universe 6 teams are vying for his services and the highest bidder gives him $9m guaranteed.

So that must have been best for the team?
Not sure what you are asking.
My assumption is that what Belichick felt was best for the team was cutting Hoyer, and risking that he could resign him after the roster shook out, knowing it was a gamble, just like with bolden last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3