PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts sign Brian Hoyer to a 3 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so....my ignominy is compete. :(

.......And now comes the ANGER! WTF, Bill? If you knew that you were going to cut Hoyer, WHY in God's name didn't you try and get at least SOME value for him. You mean to tell me you couldn't have gotten at least a 5th or 6th rounder. Christ, you paid that much for 2 fatties that would have been cut if you hadn't grabbed them. You're telling me that a QB to a needy team like the Colts wouldn't have gotten you MORE. :mad:

Sorry but while we owe Bill a LOT for the last 20 years, occasionally even he makes mistakes, and in the great scheme of things this isn't even a big one. Just seems like a waste to me.
Because everyone knew he was going to be cut. He may be a serviceable backup, but not so serviceable that someone is going to handover assets for him when he's about to be a free agent.

How come we weren't able to trade him if he's receiving a 3yr $12m deal with $9m in guarantees.

Don’t get me started on this. The Colts now have Brissett and Hoyer as their 1-2 QBs, and the Patriots got Phillip Dorsett in return. QBs should have really high trade value compared to other positions. Once again, I don’t get why the Patriots have failed to capitalize on having a an extra QB who other teams desire in some capacity.

Don’t get me started on this. The Colts now have Brissett and Hoyer as their 1-2 QBs, and the Patriots got Phillip Dorsett in return. QBs should have really high trade value compared to other positions. Once again, I don’t get why the Patriots have failed to capitalize on having a an extra QB who other teams desire in some capacity.
Ice, check the whole thread if you can. Some good points in there about this...

Because everyone knew he was going to be cut. He may be a serviceable backup, but not so serviceable that someone is going to handover assets for him when he's about to be a free agent.
but you can say the same thing for just about every guy who got traded in the last week before cut down day. So why did they get assets.

Maybe the Colts refused to deal with the Pats and took a chance. Maybe there ARE no other teams who need a capable back up. I'm not upset that Hoyer is gone. Stidham is a good looking prospect DESPITE the fact that he's never taken a snap against a first team defense, let alone a snap in a real NFL game.

I'm upset that there WAS a market for someone of Hoyer's skill set, BEYOND the Colts. In fact he was the most valuable asset we had among those guys we talked about as trade possibilities (Burkhead, Roberts, Harmon). Christ we got some value for Duke Dawson :rolleyes:

BTW- Thrilled that Hoyer got almost an $8MM raise in guarantee money from the Colts who have cap money to burn.

Agree he isn’t a quality starter. Which questions whether he is a good backup since the definition of good backup is could start and be good if needed. Although backups across the league pretty much suck.
Except Fitzmagic for a year...then the cycle continues...

How come we weren't able to trade him if he's receiving a 3yr $12m deal with $9m in guarantees.

I’m sorry, but this question cannot be answered without irrational takes. I’ve gone through this for three years. Jimmy Garoppolo, Jacoby Brissett, and Brian Hoyer for Phillip Dorsett and a second round pick.

Whatever, the team is essentially the best and smartest organization ever. I just still can’t fathom the constantly low returns when Sam Bradford goes for a first round pick and the going rate for solid backup QB is somewhere in the 3rd or 4th round. Six teams were interested in Hoyer.

Well good *Luck* (cough cough) Mr. Hoyer.
If the coaches call for a fake punt, audible into something else. :eek:

Ice, check the whole thread if you can. Some good points in there about this...

I don’t think they are very good points. Patriots had an asset they got in Hoyer, ironically through the measly return from SF for Jimmy G., and then got zero draft capital for a player who very well may be starting for an AFC team later this year.

I’m sorry, but this question cannot be answered without irrational takes. I’ve gone through this for three years. Jimmy Garoppolo, Jacoby Brissett, and Brian Hoyer for Phillip Dorsett and a second round pick.

Whatever, the team is essentially the best and smartest organization ever. I just still can’t fathom the constantly low returns when Sam Bradford goes for a first round pick and the going rate for solid backup QB is somewhere in the 3rd or 4th round. Six teams were interested in Hoyer.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but who are the backup QBs bringing in 3rd and 4th round picks? I can think of Teddy Bridgewater but I'm drawing a blank after that.

I don’t think they are very good points. Patriots had an asset they got in Hoyer, ironically through the measly return from SF for Jimmy G., and then got zero draft capital for a player who very well may be starting for an AFC team later this year.
That's cool.

C'mon, if BB had intended to bring Hoyer back, he had no real reason to be looking to trade him. And Hoyer tweeted out that he was "still here" after news of his release. Sure some posters here thought BB could trade Hoyer but hey some are still searching the internet for that 1st round pick for Mallett. More often than not it is what it is....Colts desperate beyond belief and Hoyer fortunate. I wish him well.

The thought that Hoyer is even serviceable is speculative at best.
Great for him that he cashed in ... not going to gnash teeth over a speculative draft pick lost.
Sixth round ... 7th round ... FA's ... little difference anyways.

Great for him that he cashed in ... not going to gnash teeth over a speculative draft pick lost.
Sixth round ... 7th round ... FA's ... little difference anyways.
And nobody will answer me. Who should the pats have dumped (given they had about 24 hrs to decide) to keep BH on the roster so they could trade him?

And nobody will answer me. Who should the pats have dumped (given they had about 24 hrs to decide) to keep BH on the roster so they could trade him?
I agree ... I would not have dumped any of the 53 chosen ... too risky.

I agree ... I would not have dumped any of the 53 chosen ... too risky.
Yeah, what were the pats going to do. They were not dumping BH until after game 4 to see if JH could do anything. Obviously they need a day to look at film. By that point its roster cutdowns. Sure, they could have traded Hoyer earlier but what if Stidum completely sucked.

Then everyone here would have destroyed BB

What?

Hoyer has proven himself to be serviceable, so how is it speculative?

Yeah, what were the pats going to do. They were not dumping BH until after game 4 to see if JH could do anything. Obviously they need a day to look at film. By that point its roster cutdowns. Sure, they could have traded Hoyer earlier but what if Stidum completely sucked.

Then everyone here would have destroyed BB

Going with a rookie backup, when that backup is clearly not ready, is a needless gamble that should not have been made, IMO. But it's done now, and we should all make sure that we spend some time praying to JoBu on the weekends.

Going with a rookie backup, when that backup is clearly not ready, is a needless gamble that should not have been made, IMO. But it's done now, and we should all just spend some time praying to JoBu on the weekends.
I agree there. I am a 2 QB guy though....Keeping Hoyer was a safety net but there is also BB being loyal to a guy he likes. tough spot for them...

What?

Hoyer has proven himself to be serviceable, so how is it speculative?

He's the only QB to guide the Browns to a winning record in this decade (maybe century?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes