PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

I'd assume this means they are totally out on Mariota. Which is fine, he's only thrown more than 13 touchdowns twice lol.

I think I'm one of the few people who never wanted Mariota. He's too erratic game to game..

It should also be noted that Cam misses wide open receivers. A lot. Don't make Ian post that thread again. Its not, I repeat, not pretty viewing.

I like cam. comes across as a great guy. good team mate. But he's done. I'm sorry, he's done. and I'd be delighted to eat these words next December but I don't think I will.

That’s what it comes down to for me. He couldn’t throw the ball 55 yards last season.

Sorry I dont have much positive to say about a franchise that pushed out the greatest athlete in North American sports history, who is still top 2-3 at his position and as motivated as ever, and replaced him with the worst QB in the league. It's the most important position in sports, we aren't talking about a guard or safety.

And for the record, I loved the Trent Brown trade. Posted as much in the thread on this board

Let's see what this team looks like when we start the season.

Sorry I dont have much positive to say about a franchise that pushed out the greatest athlete in North American sports history, who is still top 2-3 at his position and as motivated as ever, and replaced him with the worst QB in the league. It's the most important position in sports, we aren't talking about a guard or safety.

And for the record, I loved the Trent Brown trade. Posted as much in the thread on this board.
I can understand moving on from Brady considering all the circumstance.
I cannot understand handing money to a slug for the second time when the #1 priority of a team with 70 mill in cap room and a top 15 pick is the FIX THE DAMN QB POSITION

While this thread is about Cam, I'm pretty sure a signing of Mariota would have garnered similar outcries of agony.

And Jimmy? "They're paying $25 million for 3 games!!!!!!!"

And Winston: "30 picks! 30!!!!!"

I mean, it's really still all about Brady. That wound is deep - maybe mortal for some folks.
Come on. If they'd traded for JAG, a huge percentage of the posters here would be going down to the E.R. to fix their 4 hour problem.

Let's see what this team looks like when we start the season.
It doesn’t really matter what the rest of the team looks like if you choose to have the worst QB in the NFL.

We just bright back the worst QB in the nfl. The rest isn’t going to make a difference.
Agreed!!! He's by far the worst. Last year was extremely hard to watch with him as the QB.

I'm thinking of merging this thread with the Cam signing thread.....any issues with that? Thoughts?

There are a few Cam threads out there now...

I'd add Mond into that mix, as he is similar in style/fit to the other two you mentioned, and his stock seems to be rising......but agreed on rest
Good find Cousin. I could see Mond as a Round 3 pick at #96

Didn't add Winston but I think the Saints will resign him quickly. He knows Sean's system too.
DW Toys

Not surprised. Pre-covid Cam was doing good. And with more and more research proving that covid brain fog is a real phenomenon, I think it's worthwhile giving him another shot.

That's not going to be the last move made at QB, anyway. BB's philosophy has been the same for years and years, sign a few QB's and let them fight for the starting position (or in Brady's case, be his backup). I expect us to draft a QB pretty early, sign another QB or two.

It doesn’t really matter what the rest of the team looks like if you choose to have the worst QB in the NFL.
what if he is our backup? Free agency or the draft hasn't happened yet. Wow

I felt the same way until @BaconGrundleCandy showed me some of his all-22. He’s not a complete player by any stretch. Nobody coming out of college is. But a lot of my concerns were diminished by watching that tape.
Bill’s not taking Lance, and he’s definitely not trading up for him. Lance scores a zero on the Parcells’ QB criteria list. He’s only played a handful of games in Division II. The last Division II stud QB taken in the 1st round was Carson Wentz and how has that work out.

If Belichick picks a QB, it will be a multi-year starter from a big conference who, hopefully, didn’t have the game knocked out of him by bad college coaching like Jarrett Stidham.

I also wouldn’t read too much into Cam’s style of play and how it relates to any draftee. It’s Cam that Bill is infatuated with and not his playing style.

Some positives for you from my boy Dougie....

Did you watch the games? When you throw wr screens on 3rd and 18 you will have a high completion percentage.
When the vast majority of your throws are screens, dump offs, play action or thrown against a prevent defense you have a high completion percentage.
A normal QB given the throws newton was allowed to make would hand complete 75% of them.
If they called the plays in 2020 with newton that they called in 2019 with Brady he would have been well under 50%.

If he wasn’t given assurances after saying he wants to start why would he sign before checking with a single other team?

Maybe after going through a trash heap of OCs and OLs in Carolina he actually likes the environment and culture here and is confident he can win the job with a full offseason.

Look we are all speculating but the one thing I am absolutely confident is that there is no backroom agreement that Newton will be the starter. He will have to earn it like everyone else. The only question is against what competition. And that is something the Pats don't fully control unless you are fine with paying ANY price to move up in the draft or acquire someone in a trade.

Again, and that's where I jump off.. I think at the very least we should wait until we see the overall roster picture become more clear before making grand proclamations about how good/bad everything is.

I'm thinking of merging this thread with the Cam signing thread.....any issues with that? Thoughts?

There are a few Cam threads out there now...
This is a Belichick thread.

This does not mean that Cam is the starting QB in '21, all it means is that they signed him for another year.. he could assume a Taysom Hill type role.

This is not the end of new QB's coming to this team.. the devil will be in the details of his contract.

While this thread is about Cam, I'm pretty sure a signing of Mariota would have garnered similar outcries of agony.

And Jimmy? "They're paying $25 million for 3 games!!!!!!!"

And Winston: "30 picks! 30!!!!!"

I mean, it's really still all about Brady. That wound is deep - maybe mortal for some folks.
patsfans.com: the forum where time stopped in the summer of 2018, never to restart...

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back