PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

I'm good with it. Let's get him some weapons for now and pick up a QB for the future asap.

WR aquisitions ?.......So maybe a deal for OBJ to leave the Browns and play with his buddy ?
Why would we pay for a wr with no QB to get him the ball?

Just to be clear on this:

You think Cam Newton willingly signed with the Patriots before free agency, without the understanding that he'd be the team's starter next year?
Exactly.

Cam is # 1. Stidham is still here too. They will draft some 3rd string bum QB who will be coaching high school ball in a few years.

The 2021 plan is the 2020 plan.

Sadly I think it is.
Newton signed WITHOUT TESTING FREE AGENCY after saying he expects to be a starter many times publicly.

Maybe Belichick is a liar, but whatever discussions they had led Newton to believe he is coming back as a starter. Otherwise he would have spoken to at least one more team.

I presume Belichick told him they will not sign any other veteran QBs and they will not draft a qb in round 1.
I pretty much assumed he'd be the starter. Drafting a QB to "learn" whatever he has to actually offer someone at this point.

That’s what it comes down to for me. He couldn’t throw the ball 55 yards last season.
Nor could he throw a TD pass in nine 2020 games as well.

No it’s a Belichick decision making thread.
mare you saying you like the idea of newton being the patriot QBs this year?
Overall it's been bad. You said it yourself several times "there's no talent". Who's fault is that? Bill's.
I liked the Brown trade and the Bethel signing. Let's see what the draft and free agency holds. I would be super, super excited if they brought Thuney back, probably not happening, but that's a different conversation for a different day.

Cam is back to start.

He has never been a backup QB in his career.

Virtually every QB who is drafted number one overall has never been a back up until they are. Bledsoe was a back up in Dallas. Vick was a back up in NY. Alex Smith was in Washington. At some point in his career, a QB has to choose whether he wants to compete for a starting position knowing he might be a back up or retire.

Exactly.

Cam is # 1. Stidham is still here too. They will draft some 3rd string bum QB who will be coaching high school ball in a few years.

The 2021 plan is the 2020 plan.
I didn’t think there was actually a plan in 2020. Just kind of seemed like the team and FO was flying by the seat of their pants. They basically tanked the season without actually tanking.

Virtually every QB who is drafted number one overall has never been a back up until they are. Bledsoe was a back up in Dallas. Vick was a back up in NY. Alex Smith was in Washington. At some point in his career, a QB has to choose whether he wants to compete for a starting position knowing he might be a back up or retire.
So... not a top 5 QB?

Now, for an adult opinion:

Schefter said the same. thing. Looks like they didn't want to go into free agency and try to get receiving talent without a QB. At least they can tell a prospect they have someone/

Next, Beau Allen gets a 4 year extension.

Schefter said the same. thing. Looks like they didn't want to go into free agency and try to get receiving talent without a QB. At least they can tell a prospect they have someone/
Ugh. That is the worst part. What top FA receiver or TE will want to play with Cam? I can see us attracting RBs but not receiving threats which is what we need desperately.

What teams really would've been options for Cam as a starter? I think it was really just the Pats and Washington when you think about it....maybe the Bears. I don't really think him signing here makes it a given that he'll be the starter. He probably just figured his options were limited and he has as good of a chance to start here as he would in Washington (if they'd even be interested) so why not just stay instead of moving around again?

Ugh. That is the worst part. What top FA receiver or TE will want to play with Cam? I can see us attracting RBs but not receiving threats which is what we need desperately.
It’s been said a few times in here and from reporters - NFL players seemingly have a lot more respect for the guy than we do. He’s not gonna make the difference that a trade for someone like Watson would, obviously, but his presence probably helps a lot more than if it was just Stidham here.

Nope and you aren't a top 5 poster either. Sorry to break it to you.
Sick burn. Better than you are, though. So you’re, what, top 8? Top 10? Your rankings are always so accurate.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back