PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Patriots have "interest" in Sam Darnold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why cant NE just scout and draft a QB? I know its out of the boxthinking.

Almost all the Greats were drafted by the team that benefited from the pick.

Montana
Kelly
Elway
Brady
Rodgers
Acheman
Ben
Mahomes
Wilson
Greasy
Staubach
Bradshaw
Namath
P Manning

Farve transferred from Atlanta

But no, BB will use the 1st pick on a Defensive End that nobodys heard of and then try to make QB chicken salad or of chicken 5hit that cost pennies on the dollar.

Steve Young (who was highly paid in the USFL, but then went to the Buccaneers and was considered a bust by the time he got to the 49ers)
Drew Brees (who only started to play well his last year in SD)
Brett Favre

Yes, most of the greatest QBs have success with the drafting team, but not all. Sometimes great players do need a change of scenery.

Elway

Elway was drafted by Baltimore colts. Elway said he wouldn’t play for the colts, and would go play for the Yankees. Drunk bob went behind his coach and traded him to Denver for Marty domres and Chris Hinton.
He never played the opening down for Indy and began and ended his career in Denver.

He has played pretty poorly so far but I think he has been put in the worst situation in the league since he came in. The organization is an absolute dumpster fire from top to bottom. The owner was off playing politics and allegedly sexually harassing women. The last GM got ousted in a power struggle with Gase who is one of the worst coaches I have ever seen. Gase then proceeded to alienate and piss off some of his best players and give almost nothing for Darnold to work with. On top of that he seemed to push Darnold back early from a shoulder injury only to have him hurt it again.
He may end up like David Carr and just be too shellshocked to be a franchise QB in the league but if he was available for a third round pick or even a second I would give that in a heartbeat. He has all the tools he just needs to be given some coaching and a stable organization to see if he can actually play. I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Fitzpatrick and having Darnold sit behind him for half the year to learn the offense and reset then worse case scenario he really does suck and we gave up what we gave up for Sanu.
i agree overall, but I don't think I would trade a 2nd- or even 3rd-rounder for him unless those picks have conditions attached.

I would kick the tires for sure.

Also rumoured to be on the trading block is Carson Wentz...
please no Wentz. he hasn't shown potential apart from the heater season where he got injured

He never played the opening down for Indy and began and ended his career in Denver.
Of course he never played for Indy....the colts were still the Baltimore Colts when they drafted him. Your comment was about teams that drafted franchise qbs. If you include elway In your statement, then include Eli and philip rivers too. Draft isn’t the only way to land a franchise Qb.

If the Jets draft Lawrence or Fields and makes Darnold available, it'll take a lot for the Jete to trade him here. Not sure how many teams around the league need a QB like Darnold at this point, but if he were released then yeah I'd kick the tires on him.
Why wouldn't Darnold be the jets backup?

I like Darnold cuz he believes in ghosts..:)

Steve Young (who was highly paid in the USFL, but then went to the Buccaneers and was considered a bust by the time he got to the 49ers)
Brett Favre

Yes, most of the greatest QBs have success with the drafting team, but not all. Sometimes great players do need a change of scenery.

1st two years...for what it's worth...

Steve Young...
1606265992927.png

Sam Darnold...
1606266027608.png

Warren Moon also. He had to shine in the CFL.

This. I would love to see if we could get something out of Darnold but whatever any other team was willing to give we would need to double. There is absolutely no way the Jets want to let Darnold go on to New England and end up as a franchise QB without something substantial. That would be curse of the Bambino level voodoo that the NYJ fanbase would never forgive.
Plenty of people thought they weren't stupid enough to bring Favre in too...

I don’t want the Akers getting Lawrence or Fields ! That would suck !

Just from a pragmatic point. Why would the Jets send Darnold to a division rival ?

Obviously, to ruin the division rival. But they're not that smart.

Hard no on Wentz.....He has regressed over the last few years.... Guy got locked in a rest stop bathroom stall on his way to his inital press conference in Philly. Rumor has it, locker room wanted Foles not Wentz.....

Most turnovers in NFL this season:
1. Broncos: 23
2. Cowboys: 21
3. Carson Wentz: 18*
4. 49ers: 17
4. Football Team: 17
6. Vikings: 16
6 Jaguars: 16
8. Rams: 15
8. Patriots: 15
8. Giants: 15
*Eagles have 20 overall

Of course he never played for Indy....the colts were still the Baltimore Colts when they drafted him. Your comment was about teams that drafted franchise qbs. If you include elway In your statement, then include Eli and philip rivers too. Draft isn’t the only way to land a franchise Qb.
HAHA

The draft isnt? Denver had to spend draft capital and a player to get Elway.

The Brad Johnsons and the Trent Dilfers are few and far between 1 hit wonders.

Brett Favre

Drafted QB go to Super Bowls.

Montana 4 super bowls
Kelly 4
Elway 5
Brady 9
Rodgers 1
Acheman 3
Ben 2
Mahomes 1 soon to be 2
Wilson 2
Greasy 2
Staubach 2
Bradshaw 4
Namath 1
P Manning 2

Drafted QB go to Super Bowls.

Montana 4 super bowls
Kelly 4
Elway 5
Brady 9
Rodgers 1
Acheman 3
Ben 2
Mahomes 1 soon to be 2
Wilson 2
Greasy 2
Staubach 2
Bradshaw 4
Namath 1
P Manning 2
Well, duh, just about all the qbs that played in a Super Bowl were drafted by some team. How many qbs were never drafted and still played in a super bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back