PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer believes Patriots would consider trading Mac to Raiders

Ludicrous across the board to suggest trading or giving up on Mac.
BB may have been frustrated with him at times during the season. But upon reflection, it's clear the entire top brass saw that it wasn't his fault, it was BB's stupid personnel decisions (that every fan in NE knew from day 1).
I think BB has properly self-evaluated and now tasked BOB with getting the best out of Mac.
I think Mac will have every chance to prove himself next season, and I think he'll do well enough to play his 4th year where it will really be seen whether he gets a 2nd contract.
If he plays his 4th year for us, his next contract is just as likely to be with another team.

But upon reflection, it's clear the entire top brass saw that it wasn't his fault, it was BB's stupid personnel decisions (that every fan in NE knew from day 1).
Still amazes me that even fans knew it was a bad idea but BB did it anyway... and it turned out to be a bad idea. Imagine my shock.

If he plays his 4th year for us, his next contract is just as likely to be with another team.
The team is going to do everything to maximize a player while under a team friendly contract.. once that player out plays his contract he'll most likely be getting a second contract elsewhere..

I can definitely see them doing the same thing with Mac... if they didn't want to pay the GOAT.... then.....

The way the team does business they will do everything they can to not have to pay a qb dak Prescott $$.. 30 plus million...

OPTION 1
Garappolo (3-4 year contract), Zappe

OPTION 2
Jones (2 year contract), Zappe
=========================
OPTION 1 cost more cap space and gets us a draft choice or two.
====================
I'm not at all sure that choice is all that clear. One factor is health. Another is Garappolo's compensation. Finally, there is the issue of tantrums by Jones. Maybe that OK. If there is another option, maybe not.
Go all in for Chicago's #1, draft C.J. Stroud.

Was he real good in three games though? Against the Packers he threw 15 passes for 99 yards and TD. Hoyer was injured on the second drive that game. Against Detriot, he passed 21 times and got 188 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT.

He had two games where he wasn't asked to do very much. One game where he was really good. And one game where he was awful.
I believe he did what he was asked to do.

I believe he did what he was asked to do.

Sure he did what he was asked to which wasn't much. It was basically not become a liability in the first two games and let Stevenson and Harris do the heavy lifting.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Sure he did what he was asked to which wasn't much. It was basically not become a liability in the first two games and let Stevenson and Harris do the heavy lifting.
Stevenson was a monster in the Lions game. Looking forward to seeing more of that in 2023.

Ugh. Having Mac start for the Bears game was such a bad decision in a season full of them. Mac kicking Brisker in the groin then throwing that pick (wire?) then the crowd calling for Zap... BB wasn't even playing checkers here.

Yes I'm bumping this old thread because what am I gonna do for 3 weeks?

Yeah I have been thinking about this. Even if Bill does like Mac, there’s a chance that he still really likes Garoppolo and wants to bring him back… Garoppolo’s price as a free agent probably isn’t that
high after Purdy’s ascension. Will Bill give up the chance to bring Jimmy back for no other cost than straight cash? Maybe there’s nothing to it, but if he really does like Jimmy as much as has been sometimes reported, it’s an interesting factor.

Belichick has made it very clear on many occasions that availability is a priority for him, and that’s Garrapolo’s greatest weakness. He may trade Jones but it won’t be this deal.

Belichick has made it very clear on many occasions that availability is a priority for him, and that’s Garrapolo’s greatest weakness. He may trade Jones but it won’t be this deal.
I posted that almost 2 months ago though. That was when Jimmy was a pending free agent.

Sorry Ross, I didn’t pick up on that.
No worries. I did go look at his contract and it's pretty tradeable. Raiders would have zero dead money, and the Pats can get out of the deal after a year in 2024 if they want for about an $11M dead cap hit. Certainly, availability is important but if Bill feels good about Zappe then maybe he's not as worried about it as a bridge QB situation.

It would be pretty funny if BB gave up on Mac now. How many years/chances did Harry get??

It would be pretty funny if BB gave up on Mac now. How many years/chances did Harry get??
Did Harry play QB.

Being one of 5 WR's is much different from being the starting QB.

Three years, but Jake Bequette got only two.
I do believe the time is right now for Chad Jackson.

See, I can believe things too.

I don't believe in that Apollo's Creed, and I don't believe that thing about allah's god and mohammed's his prophet, no disrespect to anybody. I do believe, mainly because of who my parents were, in the 1.0 version of all the other monotheistic religions, except a lot of the folkloric details.

I believe that the colors in my flag no matter what my country did to whoever, really stand for the version of my country they taught about in school, and all this other stuff is just the bad things that happen on the margins... mainly... I mean, I think we all do that, or at least most of us. I'm not asserting that it makes sense to, mind you, but mainly we do.

I believe in good storytelling, I believe in doing unto others as I'd have them do unto me, I believe everybody lives moments of unalloyed magic and as we age we dull the ache by disbelieving they were ever magical. I believe you have the right to do what you want unless you hurt other people. Those are pretty good things to believe in. They might or might not be true.

But "Breer believes Patriots would consider trading Mac to Raiders"? How is this fact-based in any sense? This is his confession of faith about the inner mental states of others.

I don't care what Breer's religion or personal belief system is. But it is the off-season, right?

Anyway... I am interested to see "open competition" at QB. Before we got into following the far more specific, out-there faith journals and speculative fiction of the sports media, that was what many of us were saying would happen -- "Mac really has made it perfectly legit to say it's an open competition at QB..." (Others of us, of course, have been stumping for no. 2 around here since Jimmy G, Stidh the Kid, or Ryan Mallet. Spoiler.... usually "Open competition" comes before "Throw the bum out." That was even the case for "Overhead" Cam Newton.)

Yep. Stroud won’t be there, I won’t be surprised if he ends up going first. It’s hard to know what MacDaniels thinks about Jones, but I don’t think he’s got a long leash, so he really needs to win now, and it’s unlikely Levis can give him that. Ultimately I don’t think anyone will give up what it’s worth to trade Jones, but I won’t be surprised if Belichick draft another QB prospect in this draft.
I think he (Stroud) is better than Bryce Young and will be more successful in NFL…and I think Stroud should go #1…..but we shall see

Mickey D is going to get fired again flirting with disaster.

Hoyer and Stidham and Jimmy. He could be out of QBs before Halloween.

Mickey D is going to get fired again flirting with disaster.

Hoyer and Stidham and Jimmy. He could be out of QBs before Halloween.
Stidham signed with Denver.

Did Harry play QB.

Being one of 5 WR's is much different from being the starting QB.

We don’t know what Harry was Doing when he was on the field.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back