PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Patriots have "interest" in Sam Darnold

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

“I think the Patriots might have an interest in (Darnold),” Breer said Sunday during 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Patriots pregame show. “I don’t think he was their favorite quarterback in 2018. I think if they had their choice of that quarterback group (in the 2018 draft), I think they would’ve taken Baker Mayfield. But he’s obviously still 23, and he has some NFL experience. I think there is a high ceiling there still. People forget he was pretty raw when he came in.

“I think the Patriots would have an interest if he were available.”

Last edited:
Think Breer is just theorizing but I don’t think he’s wrong. I would take a flier on Ghost Boy. His frequency missing games due to non-football-injury reasons is a bit strange though, but I could also chalk that up to JETE mismanagement.

Think Breer is just theorizing but I don’t think he’s wrong. I would take a flier on Ghost Boy. His frequency missing games due to non-football-injury reasons is a bit strange though, but I could also chalk that up to JETE mismanagement.

If the Jets draft Lawrence or Fields and makes Darnold available, it'll take a lot for the Jete to trade him here. Not sure how many teams around the league need a QB like Darnold at this point, but if he were released then yeah I'd kick the tires on him.

I would kick the tires for sure.

Also rumoured to be on the trading block is Carson Wentz...

Just from a pragmatic point. Why would the Jets send Darnold to a division rival ?

They traded Leonard Williams to the Giants. While the Giants are not a division rival, they are probably the team the Jets hate the most outside of NE. So with that franchise anything is possible.

Just from a pragmatic point. Why would the Jets send Darnold to a division rival ?

We sent Bledsoe to Buffalo back in '02....if it makes both teams better....(shrugs)

That would really be surprising.
Philly fans have given up on him. I'm not sure if Pederson has too. We will see. With that long term deal it would be trickey to trade him? it also depends on how much they like the rookie QB they drafted.

This. I would love to see if we could get something out of Darnold but whatever any other team was willing to give we would need to double. There is absolutely no way the Jets want to let Darnold go on to New England and end up as a franchise QB without something substantial. That would be curse of the Bambino level voodoo that the NYJ fanbase would never forgive.

Philly fans have given up on him. I'm not sure if Pederson has too. We will see. With that long term deal it would be trickey to trade him? it also depends on how much they like the rookie QB they drafted.
There is no certitude Bill will draft a QB.

i would take a shot at Darnold for sure, Wentz too

Can’t you blame the fans? Wentz is an INT machine who struggles to read a defense.

Wentz traded would be $59M dead money and $24M cap hit. Not happening.

Darnold is different - $10M dead money but $170K cap savings.

Why cant NE just scout and draft a QB? I know its out of the boxthinking.

Almost all the Greats were drafted by the team that benefited from the pick.

Montana
Kelly
Elway
Brady
Rodgers
Acheman
Ben
Mahomes
Wilson
Greasy
Staubach
Bradshaw
Namath
P Manning

Farve transferred from Atlanta

But no, BB will use the 1st pick on a Defensive End that nobodys heard of and then try to make QB chicken salad or of chicken 5hit that cost pennies on the dollar.

This. I would love to see if we could get something out of Darnold but whatever any other team was willing to give we would need to double. There is absolutely no way the Jets want to let Darnold go on to New England and end up as a franchise QB without something substantial. That would be curse of the Bambino level voodoo that the NYJ fanbase would never forgive.
The jets know Darnold. So they would trade him here if we offered the least because he would set the franchise back at least 3 years.

This doesn’t say the patriots have interest in darnold, it’s says Albert breer guesses that they might.
Right. These talking heads speculate more than we do. I'll believe it when I see it.

Why? He sucks. Let’s try to find a qb who doesn’t suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft