PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boring NFC info - Rams probably sitting this one out

pherein

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Smart move actually. At 4th seed, McVay knows he will get the Panthers, and then the nick foles led Eagles. Least path of resistance to an NFC win.

Though I'm not sure he's thinking that a 3 win is hard in the NFL, so Atlanta might be easier for us, and Vikings play in a Dome, which we are good at, instead of the 10 degrees Eagles stadium. Sounds like he's trying to deliberately avoid the Saints and Vikings. Might be smart because he knows we and Vikings have to fight for it and gives his team a bye week.

Rams coach Sean McVay told the media in Thousand Oaks that he will probably rest his starters for the season finale against the 49ers. Getting guys healthy is more important than a 3 or a 4 seed, McVay said./QUOTE]

Last edited:
Crap. This means our 2nd round pick next year will move back even further.
Yeah, many of us had assumed 1-2 wins from SF over their last three, but that’s looking like wishful thinking at this point.

I hate this, because its in the Saints best interest to play the Panthers, but if the Rams lay down this week the Saints are likely moving up to the #3 spot. and the Saints won't lay down with a division title to be claimed. But I want to stay in that 4 spot because we match up so well against the Panthers, we beat them twice this season and barely broke a sweat. I want no part of the Falcons for the 3rd time in 5 weeks, they play dirty enough as it is, and the Rams scare the bejesus out of me with the things Gurley can do.

Watch the rams go one and done if they do this. I don't believe they will do this. They likely could be facing a panthers team that i feel could take them out.

I hate this, because its in the Saints best interest to play the Panthers, but if the Rams lay down this week the Saints are likely moving up to the #3 spot. and the Saints won't lay down with a division title to be claimed. But I want to stay in that 4 spot because we match up so well against the Panthers, we beat them twice this season and barely broke a sweat. I want no part of the Falcons for the 3rd time in 5 weeks, they play dirty enough as it is, and the Rams scare the bejesus out of me with the things Gurley can do.

It's not easy beating a team 3 times in a season. We will see.

If the Saints and Rams win out in the playoffs, he can't avoid playing the Saints. So I don't quite follow you.

If the Saints and Rams win out in the playoffs, he can't avoid playing the Saints. So I don't quite follow you.

I think his point is that the Vikings and the Saints might beat each other up while the Rams get an supposedly easier path. I just dont see it. I think the teams in the NFC are not that far apart from each other to the point where anyone can beat anyone on a good day.

If you get the Panthers on a bad day it might be an easy win but if you get them on one of those days where things just keep working out in their favor then have fun with Cam Newton.

It's not easy beating a team 3 times in a season. We will see.

This is an old trope, but about 70% of the time, when a team beats another team twice in the regular season and then faces them in the playoffs, they beat them the third time too.

It's not that I think the Panthers aren't any good; clearly they have a pretty good team, but they don't match up with the Saints very well at all. Their offensive line is weak whereas the Saints defensive line is strong; their receivers are weak whereas the Saints secondary is strong; their front 7 is big/physical but the Saints offense gets the ball out quick and to the edges to negate that.

For some reason the Falcons, even though they are not nearly as good or talented a team overall, present a much tougher matchup for the Saints than the Panthers do. They just match up a little better. It's weird.

If I had to choose either Panthers-Eagles or Saints-Vikings I would certainly choose the former, especially considering I would have to travel to the second game. They have a better matchup in a cold stadium with Gurley than they do in a dome where the other team can more easily air it out. Food for thought.

Why would you potentially surrender HFA in an NFC Championship to the Saints? Seems like a move that’d be costly down the road.

Smart move actually. At 4th seed, McVay knows he will get the Panthers, and then the nick foles led Eagles. Least path of resistance to an NFC win.

Though I'm not sure he's thinking that a 3 win is hard in the NFL, so Atlanta might be easier for us, and Vikings play in a Dome, which we are good at, instead of the 10 degrees Eagles stadium. Sounds like he's trying to deliberately avoid the Saints and Vikings. Might be smart because he knows we and Vikings have to fight for it and gives his team a bye week.

you do realize this is the patriots forum right?

I think Minnesota and Atlanta in the end will be the two best Teams in the NFC. The NFC playoffs will feature some very good Teams with Tough Defenses.

Why would the rams want to face carolina/NO instead of Atlanta? Makes no sense...

Atlanta is a joke this year, Saints lost the first game on the refs and in a ****ing Thursday Night. Based on what I saw Sunday if they were to play another 10 times this year the Saints would win all 10 games.

Yeah, many of us had assumed 1-2 wins from SF over their last three, but that’s looking like wishful thinking at this point.
If the draft were held today, it would be #8 in the second round.

Thanks, Jimmy! What kind of gratitude is that? The Pats could have traded you to the black hole that is Cleveland, but, no, they traded you to one of the league's great franchises that seems to be putting the pieces in place for another run at a ring.

Couldn't you have at least tanked the JAX Game? Nobody expected you to win that one!

Philly did it vs the Raiders this week...

The sagacity of the decision will be determined in hindsight after the games are played. All those teams look pretty evenly matched, so they'll all probably be playing teams that could win or lose regardless of how careful the seeding strategy is.

Should be fun, for someone at least.

(Sorry for typing dumb and obvious things on the internet. But, you know... Internet.)

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back