PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Admits 2020 Is Bridge Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have went all out from the start and just went for Lawrence or Fields at that point

Yep. That was a tactical error on their part. There is still hope though because nobody thinks the Pats will go 2-14. Well I do and they do. Trust me, they will lose both games to the Jets. Bill will not let them lose to his team on this mission. It won't be for a lack of trying, just the players flat out aren't good enough across the board. Plus, if you trade Gilmore, shut down Edelmean, you are finished.
Matt Ryan can easily be a mentor for Fields, so the timing works out perfectly for Atlanta.

I can see Bill trading for Rodgers in 2022, if GB wants to move on from him and give the keys to Jordan Love. Right now the cap hit for GB would be an astronomical 35 million.

Atlanta has 2 wins. Ryan is playing to stay. That team will have 4 wins before seasons end.

Curren and the rest of the media won't admit it or point to the favorable position they're in next offseason because they've been waiting two decades to dance on BB's grave for all the short gruff answers and condescending retorts. The sheep fans and misanthropes buy it hook line and sinker.
Or, perhaps, Curran, who has actually spoken to the man, is not blinded by hero worship and sees that there has been way too many draft and free agency failures over the last few years and that those failures is why this team is way too short of talent to compete.

Why ascribe vengeful motives Curran just because he says something contrary to what you believe? Truth is, gruff answers or not, Belichick and the Pats’ success has been very good to Curran’s career.

Curran is being a total moron. Didn't the Pats win 2 rings after 2015. He also made up some insane crap of Brady not instructing WRs last year to mean he was being muzzled instead of the far more likely scenario that Brady was being a pouty baby and had already decided to put his house up for sale and leave.

Curran comes off sounding like the ultimate whiner. Every team could play the crying ‘we didnt get all pros every year’ game.
so we are having one bad year...boo hoo. In 2 years we will be back in the thick of it.

Curran seems to be very aggressive recently in his anti bb stance

i mean jones and collins werent going to stay here . But he claims we won without them because of brady. But that is the point of having a HOF QB. he can help you build a team around him. I am not sure why they need to emphasize brady is good. I mean he is a GOAT..

Umm. 2015 ?

2015 NE had arguably their best team before injuries ravaged them. Still had a chance in dying seconds of AFCCG.

2016 SB champs

2017 SB

2018 SB champs again

2019 “awful” year : 12-4 division crown

2020 2-4 in rebuild

What is Curran talking about ? NE has had more success post-2015 than almost every single franchise in their history.

Guys, guys, guys...relax...BB is simply covertly tanking in order to spite the Jets by drafting Trevor Lawrence...
I can’t believe it went over your heads...remember; chess, not checkers :cool:

Umm. 2015 ?

2015 NE had arguably their best team before injuries ravaged them. Still had a chance in dying seconds of AFCCG.

2016 SB champs

2017 SB

2018 SB champs again

2020 2-4 in rebuild

What is Curran talking about ? NE has had more success post-2015 than almost every single franchise in their history.
Curran wasn’t talking about our success in those years, he’s talking about how poor drafting led to panic moves like Sanu or A.B. Ultimately poor drafting has left our cupboard (particularly on O) very bare.

Curran seems to be very aggressive recently in his anti bb stance

i mean jones and collins werent going to stay here . But he claims we won without them because of brady. But that is the point of having a HOF QB. he can help you build a team around him. I am not sure why they need to emphasize brady is good. I mean he is a GOAT..

I have zero qualms about the way the Patriots handled those transactions.

Jones is a good player but overpaid so much they might not win SB51 or SB53 with so much money tied up with him, Collins was overpaid and not even very good, they did sign Hightower, and they got an A+ cornerback (Gilmore) for a little more than the price of a B cornerback (Butler.)

The extremely low draft return has led this situation. The rest of Curran’s point is absolute nonsense. In fact, Belichick served up a Master’s Level Course on how to handle your own free agents with those decisions. They would be better today with Jones making $16M, Collins making $12M, and Butlet instead of Gilmore? Then he connects Sanu and Brown to the free agency decisions of defensive guys. Lol...wtf.

Or, perhaps, Curran, who has actually spoken to the man, is not blinded by hero worship and sees that there has been way too many draft and free agency failures over the last few years and that those failures is why this team is way too short of talent to compete.

Why ascribe vengeful motives Curran just because he says something contrary to what you believe? Truth is, gruff answers or not, Belichick and the Pats’ success has been very good to Curran’s career.
Where did the majority of starters the past five years come from? Homegrown talent... odd how one can win so often with nothing but failure.

The Pat's aren't competitive this year because of the QB play. BB took his shot with Cam and Stidham. If either one was worth a damn this team is battling for the AFC East...

Curran wasn’t talking about our success in those years, he’s talking about how poor drafting led to panic moves like Sanu or A.B. Ultimately poor drafting has left our cupboard (particularly on O) very bare.
I understand. But winning SBs trumps all of that BS. Most (almost all) SB champs mortgage everything for a CHANCE to win it all. I understand that poor drafting eventually catches up with a team, but this is overboard.

I don’t know why NE is expected to be more perfect than every other franchise in history.

Curran does have a point. We drafted very very poorly the last 7 years, which meant we had to pay our own free agents big money to stay (nobody in the pipeline to replace them) and sign free agents from other teams to big deals cause we need the talent. That is why guys like McCourty, Chung, Edelman and Cannon are on the cap sheet with the money they make. If we had done better with the draft, those guys probably would've been let go some time ago. I don't think this is an anti BB bias, it is just reality.

Draft picks are the lifeline of every NFL team. Sure, you can still win when drafting poorly but your window is much shorter when you win with just free agents. And it is rare for a team to go 7 years without being able to draft a single pro bowl level player or go over 10 years without being able to draft a good receiver. We have an issue with our draft, and BB needs to fix it. They can talk about their process all they want, but a management that drafts this poorly for this long would've lost their jobs anywhere else.

They don't invest as much draft capital in the WR position as other teams.

You should revisit your " no pro bowlers" in the last seven years. Because you're wrong.

There have been plenty of good picks over the last seven years. A lot of good depth players, some starters and a lot of contributors. Others were turned into additional picks via trade.

So while I somewhat understand the frustration with the current roster situation, which to me isn't as bad as people think, I don't understand all of the dump on Bill BS.

Bill will make the Patriots contenders again.

Last edited:
Umm. 2015 ?

2016 SB champs

2017 SB

2018 SB champs again

2020 2-4 in rebuild

But yet they suck this year, about to go 2-5. Hmm, what's different about this year vs the previous 4?

I understand. But winning SBs trumps all of that BS. Most (almost all) SB champs mortgage everything for a CHANCE to win it all. I understand that poor drafting eventually catches up with a team, but this is overboard.

I don’t know why NE is expected to be more perfect than every other franchise in history.
Here’s the issue are 2014-2018 SB run were predominately because we drafted Mayo/Slater in 08, Edelman/Chung/Vollmer in 09, Gronk/McCourty in 10, Cannon/Vereen/Solder in 11, Ebner/Hightower/Jones in 12, Ryan/Harmon/Collins in 13, and White in 14. From 08-13 our top draft picks were Mayo, Chung, McCourty, Solder, Jones, Collins. Gronkowski, Hightower and jimmy who won us some games in 16 were 2nd rounders.

AKA we created a deep core of players who were significant pieces of our run. 5-6 years of strong drafting set up a good run where we had depth and the ability to plug in a handful of free agents to keep the ship upright.

After 2013 we pretty much botched most of our top picks. We also really didn’t draft a stud offensive skill player since Gronk 10 years ago.

If you noticed in 2018 and 2019 our off season was helter skelter when it came to receivers. We were going for anyone we thought could fit and took a bunch of bets that didn’t pan out. Even this year with no cap room we picked up some random nobodies because they clearly weren’t confident going into the season with what they had.

We created a pipeline in 09-14 and it set us up, then we stopped filling it. Since at least 2017 we had been looking elsewhere for WR’s with trades for guys like Cooks, but then got rid of him before we got sticker shock. This team gets sticker shock a lot and doesn’t want to make commitments on free agents...... but then we don’t draft well enough anymore to justify it.

So today where we are is a reflection of drafts since 2014, the way our last run of SB’s was a reflection of prior drafts

If they beat Buffalo tomorrow they are in the drivers seat for the division. Their remaining schedule is a lot softer than Buffalo’s, they play NYJ twice still and Buffalo has already played them twice. Would just need to take care of business against everyone but Baltimore and maybe LAR and then beat Buffalo again and they’re good.

Put another way, if they beat BUF, they will be 3-4 and BUF would be 5-3. By 12/13 NE will have played @NYJ, BAL, @HOU, ARI, @LAC, @LAR. Assume they go 3-3 at least, they’d be 6-7. Over the same period BUF will play SEA, @ARI, LAC, @SF, PIT. Can’t see BUF doing better than 2-3 against those teams so they’d be 7-6. So NE would be one game behind to with a game left against BUF to tie up and own the tiebreaker.
Yeah this is wrong. Buffalo so far has only lost to two 5-1 teams that are running away with their division. One of which only lost to an undefeated team and the other only lost to a division rival. Even with a win we pretty much still have losses baked in against the Rams, Cardinals, and Ravens. Even a second win on the road against Miami shouldn’t be viewed as a given.

Say you take a vacation every year for two decades and you have the cash so it's no problem.

Then towards the tail end of those two decades your vacations have gotten more and more lavish and a little debt accumulated each year. The last vacation was the 20th anniversary with your wife, so maybe you blew the doors off that year.

The following year you decide instead of going out again to pay off all the debt you built up over the years, maybe you take your vacation pay but work anyway. That's 2020...

Next year you'll be debt free and going on vacation again. One year to regroup so you can resume your routine.
And considering the response of most fans, you’d be resuming those vacations with a new Wife. ;) Loved the analogy.

FYI:

Since 2012 the total draft value of the Pats first round picks vs Cowboys and Steelers:

Patriots - 2920 points of draft value
Cowboys - 8165 points of draft value
Pittsburgh - 6820 points of draft value

Because of perennial winning picking late in the rounds BB has done more with less for basically twenty years. Including the draft. Having the best QB to ever play the game on the roster allowed flexibility in the team building process but to say BB has been nothing but a shlub GM is ridiculous.

BB will turn this around in no time.

So maybe this is why coach Bill quit on the team the last 2 games

Panic moves more from Brady or McDaniels. Because McD is the worst OC at evaluating college WRs in the entire league

Panic moves more from Brady or McDaniels. Because McD is the worst OC at evaluating college WRs in the entire league
The buck stops at Belichick. He makes the final decisions and every single player he’s picked or traded for he’s scouted and seen the tape.

The buck stops at Belichick. He makes the final decisions and every single player he’s picked or traded for he’s scouted and seen the tape.

This is true . Absolutely. But as you know it's impossible to scout 500 college players and all 1500 NFL players while preparing 53 players weekly for offense, defense, special teams, and understanding his opponent. He is at the mercy of the opinions of his staff. No surprise why we seem to draft OLinemen well (Scar). Also no surprise why our WR drafts are terrible (McD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case