PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Playoff Situation Is Clearing Up

I'd have to agree that Buffalo and Oakland look like the only real contenders for that last playoff spot.

The Bills finish with Saints, @Chargers, @Chiefs, Pats, Colts, Fins, @Pats, @Fins
The Raiders finish with Pats, Broncos, Giants, @Chiefs, Cowboys, @EAGLES, @Chargers

I see no way that Oakland catches up with Buffalo. Buffalo takes the #6 seed with an 8-8 record.

If the WC can be taken with 8 wins then I agree. Otherwise I'm very dubious the bills win more than 3 remaining games.

I don't know what to think about The Raiders. A lot of defense has picked up in the AFC and it seems that the Raiders have had a hard time adjusting. They were always revered for their high octane offense, but a quick glance at their 2016 schedule shows that their wins were often pretty damn close.

When you have as bad as defense as they have, it's hard to be comfortable with only somewhat out-performing other offenses. Maybe the ball has bounced the other way this season.

Just a quick thought. Lemme know if I'm wrong.

I saw somebody here saying Jags D is overrated. I dunno, maybe. They look pretty real to me. Also will be glad to get Denver over with. Stranger things have happened than them winning out and therefore being a 180-degree different team.

Brock as spark strikes me as an incongruous concept. But like I said, stranger things...

I'd have to agree that Buffalo and Oakland look like the only real contenders for that last playoff spot.

The Bills finish with Saints, @Chargers, @Chiefs, Pats, Colts, Fins, @Pats, @Fins
The Raiders finish with Pats, Broncos, Giants, @Chiefs, Cowboys, @EAGLES, @Chargers

I see no way that Oakland catches up with Buffalo. Buffalo takes the #6 seed with an 8-8 record.
But then if you think 8-8 is good enough for a WC spot. That opens things up for teams like Baltimore and Miami.

You don't think? Honestly with how bad Miami is I could see them sweeping them. That'd be two right there.
I could see them losing to Miami as well. Expect they will split.

I saw somebody here saying Jags D is overrated. I dunno, maybe. They look pretty real to me. Also will be glad to get Denver over with. Stranger things have happened than them winning out and therefore being a 180-degree different team.

Brock as spark strikes me as an incongruous concept. But like I said, stranger things...
I dont think stranger things have happened

AJ, I've now bought completely into your 'Bills aren't as good as their record -- TOs were propping them up' posts.

Any given Sunday and losing barely to anyone is one thing, it happens. Even losing soundly to a good to top tier team happens. But the Bills were never even competitive in the game, on national TV, midseason, division lead on the line, to a Jet team coming into the game with a 2-5 record that was giving up the third most points in the AFC, and you manage only 180 yards of offense after 50 minutes of the game while giving up 31 points in the same span? That's more than a bad game, that is a fundamentally flawed team.

You don't think? Honestly with how bad Miami is I could see them sweeping them. That'd be two right there.

I'm just not seeing how you overlook last week. Teams lose, it happens. But this was a BFD game for the Bills. Due to tie break, a win and they would have been the AFCE leader at midseason. For a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since Brady was riding pine at Michigan, a team that for 15 years has always been looking up at the Patriots boot in their eye, this would have been a major accomplishment (Indy would have put up a banner). All they had to do was beat a 2-5 team. Ok, they lost, it happens. You battled it out to the end but it didn't turn favorable That happens. But you don't lose the way they did to a 2-5 team, losing 34 to 7 with about 8 minutes left in the game, only having gained about 180 yards at that point. It's almost inconceivable a team that is playoff caliber and looking to win most of the rest of their games could be so easily dismissed with that much on the line against a 5 loss team.

Where was the Coaches and Players adjusting, digging down, fighting tooth and nail for even a long shot chance at the end to pull out the victory? That seems the absolute minimum a semi quality team would do. So to be be soundly beaten like they were suggests something ain't right with the Bills.
Think about this: they had absolutely no answer for the Jets onslaught.

Possibly. Idk. I just look at them and I think that they're better than the Oakland's, Miami's, and Baltimore's that would be in the running for that spot. (Which honestly isn't even saying much.)

Essentially, I'm just calling them the best of the mediocre teams. Not an actual good team.

I don't know what to think about The Raiders. A lot of defense has picked up in the AFC and it seems that the Raiders have had a hard time adjusting. They were always revered for their high octane offense, but a quick glance at their 2016 schedule shows that their wins were often pretty damn close.

When you have as bad as defense as they have, it's hard to be comfortable with only somewhat out-performing other offenses. Maybe the ball has bounced the other way this season.

While I've stopped following the league the way I used to, here's what I've gleaned from a very (VERY) limited viewing this season:

The offense doesn't look as good as it did last year.
The defense still sucks.
The schedule is

Patriots
Broncos
Giants
@Chiefs
Cowboys
@EAGLES
@Chargers

Currently at 4-5, they figure to be underdogs against the Patriots, Chiefs, Cowboys (Unless Elliot is suspended at that point) and Eagles. Just losing those would have them at 9 losses. I'm not saying they're done, but they can already see done from where they stand.

About a month too early for this conversation, but it’s good to have something to discuss during the wait for SNF.

This is the answer you're seeking in regards to the Oakland Raiders.

JdL.jpg

You're welcome.

But then if you think 8-8 is good enough for a WC spot. That opens things up for teams like Baltimore and Miami.
If Baltimore and/or Miami finish 8-8 this year, they will be among the worst 8-8 teams of all time.

Baltimore played a game this year where they had 64 yards passing. 28 of which was by an 'injured' Joe Flacco who totally wasn't benched.

Miami lost to that same team 40-0.

While I've stopped following the league the way I used to, here's what I've gleaned from a very (VERY) limited viewing this season:

The offense doesn't look as good as it did last year.
The defense still sucks.
The schedule is

Patriots
Broncos
Giants
@Chiefs
Cowboys
@EAGLES
@Chargers

Currently at 4-5, they figure to be underdogs against the Patriots, Chiefs, Cowboys (Unless Elliot is suspended at that point) and Eagles. Just losing those would have them at 9 losses. I'm not saying they're done, but they can already see done from where they stand.
Damn, that’s a tough schedule.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back