PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

31 Overall Pick Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s interesting that arguably the two strongest position groups in the draft were probably interior OL and RB and that if Wynn does move inside, those are where we went.

Penny was a predraft favorite of mine as well. Very similar to Michel in his all around abilities. I liked Michel better because he succeeded against much tougher competition. But Penny can do it all as well.

One interesting thing was we had Guice in for a visit, so I was a bit surprised that we didn’t pick him instead of Michel. Either way, I’m thrilled, since Michel was my favorite player in the draft.

Bucky Brooks just said his favorite pick in the 1st round was “Sony Michel to the Patriots.” Most explosive back since Kevin Faulk :rolleyes:

I would say Dillon was the most explosive, but oh well.

This was a need as others have stated, with Lewis gone. Nothing will help our qb and offense more than a balanced attack and a rb that can potentially score a td on every play.

Fortunately they are completely different players in terms of running style. What made Maroney ineffective was he thought he could 'dance' his way to more yardage and that does not work in the NFL unless your name is Barry Sanders.

Michel is a no nonsense, one cut and go runner. His homerun speed and athleticism makes him special. But just as importantly Sony also has a lot of patience and understanding of using blocking schemes so that he can make his one cut really count.

Check out this in depth analysis of Michel's running and football intelligence in regards to using his blocking scheme in front of him against the defense. That should reassure you that he will be 10x better than Maroney at least who had very low football iq.

I'm a GA fan and really like the player but even with all that said I would have rather they go defense here. I'm also probably a bit gun shy since I thought Maroney would be a stud.

Fortunately they are completely different players in terms of running style. What made Maroney ineffective was he thought he could 'dance' his way to more yardage and that does not work in the NFL unless your name is Barry Sanders.

Michel is a no nonsense, one cut and go runner. His homerun speed and athleticism makes him special. But just as importantly Sony also has a lot of patience and understanding of using blocking schemes so that he can make his one cut really count.

Check out this in depth analysis of Michel's running and football intelligence in regards to using his blocking scheme in front of him against the defense. That should reassure you that he will be 10x better than Maroney at least who had very low football iq.

Yes, I wasn't comparing style. Just the first round draft choice. I think he's going to be a fine back and I loved him in college. I just think RB is a position you can address later in the draft especially when they have other needs.

Well he's a Patriot, so let's look at some of the big plays he made in college and enjoy picturing him doing things just like that but in a Patriots uniform now. :)

Bucky Brooks just said his favorite pick in the 1st round was “Sony Michel to the Patriots.” Most explosive back since Kevin Faulk :rolleyes:

I would say Dillon was the most explosive, but oh well.
This dude is gona tear up this league in this offense. Honestly its hard to put into words bc hes that "why cant we have David Johnson, Bell, Kamara" type player that fans always say "wow imagine if he was on the Pats".

Teams will have to choose betweening deploying the best S/LB on Gronk or Michel/Rex/White etc while leaving our WR's to feast on 1 on 1 cov & have plenty of space to work w/

Almost 0 chance stopping this O unless you play & excel at elite man. I can't imagine playing Zone vs Brady w/ this group of weapons.

Even if no other moves are made, these two selections will at least help Bill keep his ****ty defense off the field. :)

LB was a bigger need
Linebacker is a bigger need
Line backer is a bigger need
Line backer is a bigger need.

Needs is not what the draft is for. In the draft you get the players who are highest rated according to your scouting. If it works out to align with your needs then great.

It seems like the scouting team, Caserio and BB didn't rate any of the LBs that were in range (LVE and Evans) above Ragnow or Wynn. So what is the point of trading up then ?

Agree, it wasn't the offense that lost us the super bowl, it was the defense. I'm very surprised.

Minnesota was the number 1 D and still got torched by the Eagles. Do you think they should pick defense too, even if they like the available offensive players better, because they got smoked on D the last game they played?

just me or does Michel kinda looks like Marshall faulk?

just me or does Michel kinda looks like Marshall faulk?
I was trying to think who Michel is similar to, this might be a good comparison. Faulk might’ve been a little faster and little more slippery, but Michel is a little stronger. If Michel could be 1/2 as good as Faulk, it would be a great pick. Of course I’m hoping he winds up better :)

Needs to keep that ball closer to his body. Basically in almost every run that ball seems exposed. That can and will be fixed when camp starts.

Looks to have great vision and power along with gamespeed.

It seems like the scouting team, Caserio and BB didn't rate any of the LBs that were in range (LVE and Evans) above Ragnow or Wynn. So what is the point of trading up then ?
i have an observation on evens and this is as good a plce to post it as any......At 232 lbs he seemed a litte lite for a BB linebacker. Most of the OLB landry, vander esh and edmands weigh in the 250 lb range.

Even if no other moves are made, these two selections will at least help Bill keep his ****ty defense off the field. :)

The defense won’t be that bad - Hightower, Rivers, JMAC, Clayborne, Shelton and Duke Dawson will help a lot.

This dude is gona tear up this league in this offense. Honestly its hard to put into words bc hes that "why cant we have David Johnson, Bell, Kamara" type player that fans always say "wow imagine if he was on the Pats".

Teams will have to choose betweening deploying the best S/LB on Gronk or Michel/Rex/White etc while leaving our WR's to feast on 1 on 1 cov & have plenty of space to work w/

Almost 0 chance stopping this O unless you play & excel at elite man. I can't imagine playing Zone vs Brady w/ this group of weapons.
I’ve always felt that when we spread the field with Brady at qb it’s a RB dream. This guy is going to destroy defenses in those situations.

Horrible - but typical - pick by the Emperor Without Clothes. A feckin RB with knee "issues" in the FIRST ****ING ROUND?!? Disgraceful.
So i take it you don't agree with the pick?

I make no apologies for loving this pick. I don't care if we needed defensive help. People will say running back can be addressed later....blah blah blah. We suck at addressing it later. We lucked into Dion Lewis. All of our other running backs sucked at running. I'm not talking about receiving etc. I'm talking strictly running the ball. I see countless impact running backs and we had like none of them. Later would've resulted in a Ridley. Ridley was a 1200 yard runner with us but he actually was nothing special and it shows in how he has struggled to stay in the league.

Barring health obviously, he may be rookie of the year. I doubt he will see stacked boxes considering Brady is our qb.

Well he's a Patriot, so let's look at some of the big plays he made in college and enjoy picturing him doing things just like that but in a Patriots uniform now. :)

Loved the play where he knocks the 2 guys into the end zone, shows some power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST