PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

31 Overall Pick Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Little bit of a surprise but an electric player
Scouting report

Strengths
  • Nice thick, ripped up frame
  • Very quick & decisive hitting a hole, usually 1 cut & go runner w/ legit explosion to hurt defenses. Very nice acceleration
  • Versatile player that can hit the wheel
  • Very good vision & awareness, eyes are always looking ahead, always looking for a plan B. Great job at following blocks and setting up defenders yards away.
  • Very elusive, can make you miss inside or take it outside and get that edge.
  • Tough, willing pass protector that has no problem sticking a LB.
  • Teammates & coaches love him. Leader on the field and in the locker room.
  • Team captain
  • Runs like a bull right through arm tackles. Have to square up on him. Very physical, tough runner.

Weakness
  • Ball security is an issue
  • Has to keep his head in pass pro, at times will duck 'n' throw himself into the blitz
  • Little bit of stiffness, not the crispest cuts.
  • At times could slow down a bit, trips himself up some.

Last edited:
If we can get Harold Landry, Lamar Jackson, or Josh Jackson at 43, I'm all for it.

I would've preferred Guice but Michel was my #3 RB. Great hands, arguably the best in the draft in pass pro, he can do it all. Slots in perfectly as the Dion Lewis replacement, same skillset with the same deceptive power.

Meh, I was hoping for some help on D. Hopefully he can replace Lewis.
Because the only picks we're gonna make this year are the first round guys.

BB clearly thinks he can fill his defensive needs in the lower rounds and used the first 2 picks to fill other needs. His track record is more than enough to convince me to decide he knows what he's doing.

2. SONY MICHEL, Georgia (5-10 ½, 213, 4.57, 1-2): Rotated almost his entire four-year career with Nick Chubb. “He reminds me of Todd Gurley and he’s from the same school,” said one scout. “Is he explosive and can he catch the ball? Good pass blocker. Good hands. The other nice thing is, he has not taken a beating because they alternate backs there.” Dogged by injury throughout career. Saved best for last, gaining career-best 1,227 yards and averaging 7.9 in 2017. “Came on strong at the end of the year,” another scout said. “Low center of gravity. Tough. Really competitive kid.” Finished with 591 carries for 3,638 yards (6.2) and 33 TDs along with 64 catches for 621 yards. Also fumbled 12 times. “That dog can hunt but he’s a fumbler,” said a third scout. “Does have a fumbling issue. Burst onto the scene with dynamic outside speed. He can go inside or outside. Catches the ball. Has improved over time.” His Wonderlic of 22 tied Royce Freeman for the highest score among the top seven RBs. From Plantation, Fla.

I would've preferred Guice but Michel was my #3 RB. Great hands, arguably the best in the draft in pass pro, he can do it all. Slots in perfectly as the Dion Lewis replacement, same skillset with the same deceptive power.

Significantly bigger, more powerful

Lombardi had Michel as his 9th overall offensive player (5th non QB) in his predraft podcast. Says he's the prototypical NFL back & that he "loves him" as a player. Says he can block, run & catch. Says he'll force the defense to defend the field vertically and will make the spread offense go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back