PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

31 Overall Pick Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feast your eyes and drool.

He's a true 3 down back. No dancing, 1 cut, and head for the endzone.

Looks like the Pats have decided to increase Brady's longevity by going with a more balanced offense. We might actually be able to run the football next season instead of abandoning it in the playoffs!

omg this dude looks awesome

This could be a great pick but only if they give him a high % of the snaps.

You can't draft a RB in the first round and stick him in a 4 man RB rotation where some games he gets 5 carries.

The D's whereabouts is unknown. It was last seen on a February evening in the downtown Minneapolis area. That last eyewitness report said it was headed south at high speed but considered unarmed and not dangerous whatsoever. :)

I’m quite certain your mistaken. Don’t think the D ever made it to Minneapolis. Not even the airport

Still breathing, BGC?

Michel was my most mocked RB a year ago with pick #170.
Quite a schocker for BB but possibly the best RB for McD after Barkley..
Dude I was sweating & my heart was jumping but it wasn't in the cards. No worries, I honestly couldn't be happier. Wynn was a top 8 overall player for me and Michel was my 6th best RB & just perfect for our offense.

Anyone unhappy about defense, well we have 3 more top 100 picks so Im just not that mad about that.

I never thought he would be there at 31 and never thought the Pats would take a RB in the first round. In love with this pick.

He's a legit stud 3-down back. He even returns kickoffs. The tandem of Michel and Burkhead is going to be a nightmare for defenses who also have to guard Gronk, Edelman, Hogan, Matthews, Mitchell...

Dude I was sweating & my heart was jumping but it wasn't in the cards. No worries, I honestly couldn't be happier. Wynn was a top 8 overall player for me and Michel was my 6th best RB & just perfect for our offense.

Anyone unhappy about defense, well we have 3 more top 100 picks so Im just not that mad about that.

Draft has broken in such a way that two of my top-8 players are still on the board and both are defensive guys (Hurst and Oliver) and some of my top tier-2 guys (Landry, Key, etc.) are still around, and they're all defense. I was hoping for Jackson too but they'll be able to address pass rush and secondary next round.

Looks like the Pats have decided to increase Brady's longevity by going with a more balanced offense. We might actually be able to run the football next season instead of abandoning it in the playoffs!

Issue with a top running game is that it can be nearly entirely taken out by extraordinarily D-line play, or simply a bad day by the O-line. Top passing games don't have as many limitations.

Watched the BCS tournament and said to my buddies that this guy would be great with the Patriots. Solidified that opinion when their HC talked about his character up after losing the championship game.

Great pick.

Yes, it would be nice to give your 41 year old QB a legit running attack.

You're missing the main point. I didn't say we're suddenly turning into a running team. I said now we can have a balanced offense and not abandon the run. When the defense respects the run, Brady can really torch the D with play action.

Also teams that are capable of running the ball can create more ball possession, longer drives, and wear down the defense. This mean's it's not going to be a one side TOP like the Superbowl where the Eagles enjoyed a 34m vs 26m time of possession advantage.

Yes we were probably going to be a 30 ppg offense next year regardless. But by adding Michel, now we can change the way we get to those 30 points and hopefully we can actually clock out teams when we need to.

Issue with a top running game is that it can be nearly entirely taken out by extraordinarily D-line play, or simply a bad day by the O-line. Top passing games don't have as many limitations.

Here’s my concern: I like the players selected, but I’m not sure how much they immediately make us better. (unless Michel becomes Kamara 2.0)

We remain a loaded offense, with a mediocre defense that’ll allow middling QB’s to pick us apart in the big games. Trusting HT to be healthy is risky. Are we hoping that Rivers is actually really good? Meh, doubtful. Still have a weak pass rush. There’s some decent prospects left, but we’ll probably just trade down.

Was just hoping that we’d balance out the team a bit more.. but I guess we’ll have to hope we can put up 40 against a team like Philly again.

I never thought he would be there at 31 and never thought the Pats would take a RB in the first round. In love with this pick.

He's a legit stud 3-down back. He even returns kickoffs. The tandem of Michel and Burkhead is going to be a nightmare for defenses who also have to guard Gronk, Edelman, Hogan, Matthews, Mitchell...

wynn win you mean?

This is just how the draft fell. Both Vander Esch and Evans were gone by the time we got to pick. So we filled a huge hole with Wynn. And then it looked like BB felt the value in taking a homerun threat 3-down RB at the end of the 1st. The dude averaged 7.9 yards per carry over the course of an entire season!

Fret not. 3 more top 100 picks on day 2. And maybe we find some sleepers on day 3.

Was just hoping that we’d balance out the team a bit more.. but I guess we’ll have to hope we can put up 40 against a team like Philly again.

This could be a great pick but only if they give him a high % of the snaps.

You can't draft a RB in the first round and stick him in a 4 man RB rotation where some games he gets 5 carries.

Effectively, a 3-man rotation, since one RB will almost certainly be inactive every game. I don't recall any of the three actives ever getting less than 10 carries in a game last season. Anyway, Michel was in a rotation with Chubb, so he's accustomed to splitting carries.

BB will do whatever he thinks is best for the team, regardless what round he picked the guy in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes