PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

31 Overall Pick Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The objective analyst in me wishes we had gone defense or lamar with one of our first round picks.

But the geeky football fan in me loves the Sony Michel pick. He’s phenomenal and has tons of highlight reel potential

Michel was my favorite player in the draft (I’ve said that in several threads), I felt he was the perfect replacement for Lewis. He is a great runner, 7.9 ypc last year in the SEC ! 3rd alltime leading rusher in Georgia history (think about that). Good hands out of the backfield, great blitz blocker, probably the best pass blocking back in the draft. Great replacement for Lewis, bigger, stronger & faster. Good at returns too.

We basically replaced our 2 biggest FA losses (Solder & Lewis) by drafting Wynn & Michel, and being 1st round picks, we have them under control for 5 years.

I too wanted defense after that horrendous defensive display in the SB. But I think after Vander Esch and Evans came off the board, they made some smart moves to replace key losses. Plus a better running game gives our offense more balance, which keeps the D off the field.

I really can’t believe we picked Michel, I am beyond shocked. Pleasantly shocked. We never draft explosive players like this.

Fumbling doesn't concern me as it is something that good coaching can usually fix. I'm much more worried about the injuries.

Love the player and what he can bring to this offense though. RB was a hole with Dion leaving, albeit not quite as widely discussed as other areas. I feel a helluva lot better with Michel on board.

He looked good against 'Bama in the National Championship. Apparently BB took notice.

Don't even have enough picks left if they want to get some studs on defense. Gotta hit on these picks.

Any thoughts about his knee injury (ACL in high shcool)? Did I just hear Curran say it was bone on bone or was that the merlot speaking?
Yes he did i believe. Not worried tbh. Hes years removed, improved & were drafting him for every immediate carry he takes, not the 2nd contract. Not that you were inferring that, just kinda spouting off

Michel was my favorite player in the draft (I’ve said that in several threads), I felt he was the perfect replacement for Lewis. He is a great runner, 7.9 ypc last year in the SEC ! 3rd alltime leading rusher in Georgia history (think about that). Good hands out of the backfield, great blitz blocker, probably the best pass blocking back in the draft. Great replacement for Lewis, bigger, stronger & faster. Good at returns too.

We basically replaced our 2 biggest FA losses (Solder & Lewis) by drafting Wynn & Michel, and being 1st round picks, we have them under control for 5 years.

I too wanted defense after that horrendous defensive display in the SB. But I think after Vander Esch and Evans came off the board, they made some smart moves to replace key losses. Plus a better running game gives our offense more balance, which keeps the D off the field.

I really can’t believe we picked Michel, I am beyond shocked. Pleasantly shocked. We never draft explosive players like this.

My guess:

Gotta figure that the Tits leapfrogging the Pats, and taking Evans, changed the equation.

Don't even have enough picks left if they want to get some studs on defense. Gotta hit on these picks.
We should use our next several picks on defense. Our offense is looking pretty damn good. Maybe grab one or two offensive players in the later rounds.

I'm not as down as you are about it though. I really like Wynn and Michel. That's two needs being taken care of instead of drafting a defensive player who Bill values lower just because.

Dude idk what world you're living in w/ all due respect & honestly im saying this w/ a smile. There are plenty of "studs" left on the board
Landry, Oliver, Josh Jackson, Sweat, Duke, Hubbard, Turay, Nwosu, Carter, Reid, Bates, bryan
All guys I expect the Pats to look at when were at 41 or if we wanna trade up. So many great prospects left man

We should use our next several picks on defense. Our offense is looking pretty damn good. Maybe grab one or two offensive players in the later rounds.

How many more picks we have left?

Dude idk what world you're living in w/ all due respect & honestly im saying this w/ a smile. There are plenty of "studs" left on the board
Landry, Oliver, Josh Jackson, Sweat, Duke, Hubbard, Turay, Nwosu, Carter, Reid, Bates, bryan
All guys I expect the Pats to look at when were at 41 or if we wanna trade up. So many great prospects left man

None of those guys excite me. I want a Lb that can cover in space. In terms of corners I wanted Hughes. They just feel confident about their corners especially Rowe as our second corner.

How many more picks we have left?

• Round 1, Pick 23 (23rd overall) - From Los Angeles Rams*
  • Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - From San Francisco*
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 6, Pick 24 (198th overall) - From Los Angeles Rams*
  • Round 6, Pick 36 (210th overall) - From Oakland
  • Round 7, Pick 1 (219th overall) - From Cleveland

43 should be a defensive player, unless they trade it down. We shouldn't be surprised if one of the next 3 picks becomes a trade down designed to bring back a 4th and/or 5th.

I love the players no doubt. Michel could be really really good.

But as for the pass rush, I don’t buy that sack stat. Most of those were piled up against weak o-lines. We played a damn good line against Philly and it showed that we didn’t have the talent to match it. I just that wish we’d invest more talent wise in that position instead of a bunch of mid round misfits.
Joey, the Pats had IIRC something like 47 sacks last season along with an appropriate number of hits and hurries. Don't tell me they were ALL made against bad OL's??? And I wish we had a lot of first-round talent along the front 7. We did add 3 more with Shelton, Claybourn and Hightower this offseason. And would you say the Eagles had a good pass rush in the Superbowl, they sucked all game too...except for one damned play, so was everyone in Philly pining for DL help. I don't think so.

All that being said, I'm on record saying we need more quality help on defense, it just didn't turn out that way. BB has made himself a pretty good career avoiding almost all of MY draft binkies over the years. The last time I was happy after the first round was the year we drafted Jones and Hightower. So I guess my binkies come in about once a decade. ;)

None of those guys excite me. I want a Lb that can cover in space. In terms of corners I wanted Hughes. They just feel confident about their corners especially Rowe as our second corner.
So basically you only wanted the guys that were drafted, 32 guys & we cant get that going forward. Honestly I don't think you know your talking about but carry on.

So basically you only wanted the guys that were drafted, 32 guys & we cant get that going forward. Honestly I don't think you know your talking about but carry on.

Which linebackers you got left that can cover in space right now? I am not saying we can't get some defensive guys but i am hoping the LB position's addressed.

• Round 1, Pick 23 (23rd overall) - From Los Angeles Rams*
  • Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - From San Francisco* QB, Landry, Reid, Sweat, Oliver, J Jackson,
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - Assigned Selection Duke, Hubbard, Bates, Nwosu, Turay, Meeks, D Jackson

• Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 6, Pick 24 (198th overall) - From Los Angeles Rams*
  • Round 6, Pick 36 (210th overall) - From Oakland
  • Round 7, Pick 1 (219th overall) - From Cleveland
43 should be a defensive player, unless they trade it down. We shouldn't be surprised if one of the next 3 picks becomes a trade down designed to bring back a 4th and/or 5th.

Although I think its certain we trade out of one of them

Picks above ^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk