PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

31 Overall Pick Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't like the Michel pick just watch his Rose Bowl game tape

and while he didn't have a game like this in the National Title game there is an argument to be made that had Georgia given him the ball more they would have won that game

Michel 14 rushes 98 yards 7.0 avg
Chubb 18 rushes 25 yards 1.4 avg

Michel’s last 2 games of his career

25 carries 279 yards 11.16 ypc 3 TDS
4 rec 41 yards 1TD

Against Oklahoma and Alabama. That is serious production vs 2 top notch teams.

That Rose Bowl against Oklahoma was legendary, he was unstoppable. Amazing thing was he went from goat to hero in the same game. Fumble which was returned for a TD to give Oklahoma the lead, and then the game winning TD in OT.

So does Brandon Bolden make this team?

Until and unless he's replaced by another, better special teamer (regardless of position), then sure, he could make the team, regardless of how many other RBs are in Camp.

Bolden only matters to the special teams head count, not to the RB head count. Slater doesn't matter to the WR head count.

The Patriots have a full house of receivers. WR is loaded: Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Dorsett, Britt, Patterson, Matthews, Cody Hollister. I don't remember ever having so many over-6-foot veteran receivers in camp. I am really looking forward to seeing who clicks with Brady. If Britt and Matthews can figure out the offense, this team will be terrific with Edelman and Gronk doing their thing inside the numbers.

They might pick up a TE late, but they're fine for the draft. I see an undrafted FA tight end being signed.

The rest of this draft should be strictly defense.

Before the 31st pick, the RB group was "loaded" too

Biggest draft needs coming in:

OT, RB, LB, DT (if they aren't willing to gamble on the new/returning players)

The top LBs were gone, so getting the other positions dealt with first makes sense. My guess is that the Cowboys and/or Titans grabbed the player(s) they would otherwise have chosen at 23.

Probably but they could have gone corner or edge as well which are at least as big of needs as RB and more so IMO.

All the highlights I've seen from this guy seem more of a highlight reel for the OL than Michel with the huge holes he runs through

All the highlights I've seen from this guy seem more of a highlight reel for the OL than Michel with the huge holes he runs through

He ran for 8.0 YPC last year while Chubb ran for 6.0 YPC behind that same offensive line.

He ran for 8.0 YPC last year while Chubb ran for 6.0 YPC behind that same offensive line.
That sounds to me like Georgia had an insane run blocking OL. I'm not trying to hate on the guy, I'm just saying in a lot of the highlights there are holes where even Brandon Bolden could've had similar production. There's one open field juke here and there but for the most part he's just outrunning defenders after being untouched for 10 yards

There's also the possibility that the LB prospects who were left on the board after the Titans took Evans at #22 are no "better" from the Pats perspective than the prospects who will be available later (and who are all still available), but that Michel was by far the best RB left on the board and that they knew they'd lose him if they waited.
The pats have a whole raft of running backs, its not like it was a weak area, on the other hand linbacker is. While i like sony micheal i think the cubbard is a little bare at linbacker.

Been saying this whole offseason, Michel was my favorite player in the entire draft. Not because I thought he was the best player in the draft, but because he’s the perfect replacement for Deion Lewis. He is the perfect multi purpose back. Even a good return man. He’s bigger, stronger and faster than Lewis. He can do it all. Just an explosive back. I always thought he reminded me of Tevin Coleman of the Falcons. Though others are saying he’s similar to Alvin Kamara.

That was actually looked at as a weakness for Michel prior to the draft. Georgia's OL was insane in that department.

I’m not thrilled with taking a RB (any RB) with a first round pick. I don’t think a RB is worth that kind of capital in the modern NFL, especially in NE’s offense.

Been saying this whole offseason, Michel was my favorite player in the entire draft. Not because I thought he was the best player in the draft, but because he’s the perfect replacement for Deion Lewis. He is the perfect multi purpose back. Even a good return man. He’s bigger, stronger and faster than Lewis. He can do it all. Just an explosive back. I always thought he reminded me of Tevin Coleman of the Falcons. Though others are saying he’s similar to Alvin Kamara.

Most importantly, he is an amazing blocker for his size, unlike Lewis. Hopefully he will be a new and improved Kevin Faulk (who was also an excellent pass blocker for his size) 2.0.

Sony Michel seems like he has a very high floor. The talent set he has, it would take an injury for him not to be useful some way or another. I don't think he'll be a league leader, but he should be effective in a number of different formations, and will probably take some special teams snaps. And of course, he could "play up" for us and turn into a stud, but even if not, he's a useful piece. Solid pick.

I’m not thrilled with taking a RB (any RB) with a first round pick. I don’t think a RB is worth that kind of capital in the modern NFL, especially in NE’s offense.

Actually, the position is going through a renaissance in the NFL due to how defenses have adjusted over the last 5-10 seasons. Further, I could make the argument that a good ground game is necessary to preserve Brady's (41 at the start of the season) career.

The pats have a whole raft of running backs, its not like it was a weak area, on the other hand linbacker is. While i like sony micheal i think the cubbard is a little bare at linbacker.

RB was a need.

RB was a need.

RB was a need.

I don't know how many times that needs to be repeated before people accept that obvious fact.

I think 4-5 good years from a RB is well worth the second-to-last pick of the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes