PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

31 Overall Pick Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYG ’s offensive line will be pretty good with Solder and Will Hernandez added to the left side. Maybe not as good as NE’s but pretty darn good.

Also, another name to look out for is Rashaad Penny. In fact, I think the Pats were targetting him before Michel. I don’t know if Seattle’s offensive line is any good but this kid can play.
Penny is a helluva back, probably even faster than Michel. He was my 2nd favorite back to Michel (for the Pats). Penny had a great Senior Bowl. I think he’ll be a good one. Can do it all like Michel, and was an elite return man in college. I just feel Michel proved more vs much tougher competition.

Given the OL he's going to run behind in the pros, I'll make a bold prediction of OROY for Michel. This may be the most lethal ground game that Brady's played with since 2004.
I said this about Wynn & Michel. I think both will be in convo.

Rn Wynn is prob our 2nd best OL'm. I think he has just as a good shot considering the spotlight will be on him the whole year if he plays LT.

Penny is a helluva back, probably even faster than Michel. He was my 2nd favorite back to Michel (for the Pats). Penny had a great Senior Bowl. I think he’ll be a good one. Can do it all like Michel, and was an elite return man in college. I just feel Michel proved more vs much tougher competition.
I was a big Penny fan but I fear for him & Wilson. It's funny people now are just picking up on how bad that line was during Wilson/Lynch's time there.

In terms of RB's Michel would be my fav rookie rn but its early.

FWIW a great player on a team mired in mediocrity, A. J. Green, thinks Sony Michel may be OROY..

Bengals' A.J. Green thinks Sony Michel will win "Rookie of the Year"

“I love Sony,” Green said. “You know his versatility and him going to New England – that's my pick for Rookie of the Year. Mark it down.” When asked why that is the case, the seven-time Pro Bowler said that he had seen him play: “I know how versatile he is. When [...] you put him in a system like New England's where he can be out there running routes and in the backfield – all the stuff going on against linebackers.”

FWIW a great player on a team mired in mediocrity, A. J. Green, thinks Sony Michel may be OROY..

Bengals' A.J. Green thinks Sony Michel will win "Rookie of the Year"
He doesn't have a ton of film running routes & in the rec game in general, so when you put him here. W/ Tom, Josh & co he's going to be maxed out in terms of what he can do.

Every team & fan base wants that versatile chess piece you can move around & just undress defenses w/ & now we have ours. He doesn't have to come off the field. You can spread him out in the slot or out wide & he runs w/ more power than Kamara.

Wynn & Michel were home runs.

Sony will be a home run threat, a lot like Curtis Martin, every time he touches the ball. He just won't get the work load like Martin had to endure. It's a good thing as it will keep him fresh for when the defenses start getting tired at end of games. Instead of pound and run the clock, like with Corey Dillon, it'll be good-bye and goodnight.

This will be particularly fun because the focus of the offense is still going to be mostly on Brady. But now instead of relying on a stable of roleplayers in the run game that allows teams to mostly focus on Brady, we'll have a potential feature back in the stable that can truly burn defenses that focus too much on tuning up the quarterback... and is also an outlet option in the blitz or a route option in the receiving game. It's almost perfect for a Patriots RB

Sam Darnold not a favorite to win Rookie of the Year, as oddsmakers think other rookie QBs will outperform Jets' signal caller - NY Daily News

2018 Offensive Rookie of the Year Odds (Bovada.LV)
Saquon Barkley: 3/2

Baker Mayfield: 11/4

Josh Allen: 8/1

Josh Rosen: 10/1

Sam Darnold: 12/1

Rashaad Penny: 14/1

Derrius Guice: 18/1

Lamar Jackson: 20/1

Ronald Jones: 30/1

Sony Michel: 30/1

DJ Moore: 33/1

Calvin Ridley: 40/1

Jesus Josh Allen??

Talk about throwing money away. Buffalo will be the only stadium in the league w/ a net to protect fans from Allen's deep ball.

Lots of value w/ Sony.

RB was a need? We have the most depth at that position. BB took the best player available. Saying it was a need is a bit idiotic.
Idiotic?

We had an OK running game last year.
We lost Lewis and Gillislie wasn't very productive.

We brought in competition for Gillislie.

Without replacing Lewis, our running game would've been much less effective.

Still wasn't That Much of a need.
Captain I love ya but you draft the best players & if a pick fits a "need" great but Sony is our best RB rn. He makes our team better & one player on offense can have ripple effects throughout the team.

Personally I might have gone in a different direction but that doesn't change the above.

Maybe Bill didnt think they could count on Rex for 16 & if he does get hurt look at the options behind as a feature back.

RB went from a position of pretty good to great. Maybe some don't/can't see that. It's May & obviously players aren't on the field but when they suit up it will be evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes