PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - Day 1 (7/27/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'd really like to see is a healthy Lewis at playoff time. The Dion that wowed us b4 he got hurt.
That plus a healthy Gronk, Cooks and JE11- flat-out nightmare for any D Pats face.

First player to have a return TD, rushing TD and receiving TD in a playoff game not good enough for ya? Yeesh.

I see my attempt at making fun of the many "what happened, don't want to read" posts we have on this site was not well received hahaha.

I will be glad to comb through this thread later and get all the little nuggets of juicy hype.

Ross **** those guys.

You're the boss.

Some discipline is in order.

Lewis a lock. He is handsdown the best Patriots rb.

As Ivan Fears has said, there's no one else on the roster(and few in the entire NFL), who brings that level of explosiveness.

Unfortunately, he's also been been hurt. So I'd expect BB will be careful with his #of snaps this year- not hard, considering the multitude of offensive weapons the Pats have.

But make no mistake -hes the best Pats rb and is a stone cold lock. Anyone saying otherwise is talking out their arse.

So nice to be so respected by those who are so prescient.

Oh man, some serious issues with reading comprehension here..

Sheard signed with Indy within hours of the start of FA for $25M. I don't recall that he even had contact with another team.

He got a FA contract from the Pats 2 years ago and now from the Colts. Nobody said anything about him having multiple offers this year.

Ealy was drafted near the end of the 2nd-round, 23 spots after Sheard was. So how was Ealy "drafted early"?

I wrote he was released early by the team that drafted him. Nobody said anything about him being drafted early.

Carolina still has several talented DEs on their roster. They moved up 8 spots to select a top OG - something they did NOT have and sorely needed.

And yet we got got him essentially for free. There couldn't have been a lot of interest out there for him.

"limited"? ... again comparable stats to Sheard the past two seasons
"for years"? ... Ealy has only played three years total, putting up stats comparable to Sheard's in just his 2nd and 3rd seasons.

3 years is "for years". It's multiple years. What's your problem ?

Stats mean nothing. Especially for DEs who based on scheme could be more responsible for edge setting than rushing or vica versa. Fact is that the team that drafted him was comfortable cutting bait for a bargain. This is in stark contrast to Sheard who got actual FA offers. Another instance where stats and the reality of how NFL teams value players don't match up.

EVERY thread is much better than a game day thread, even the ones that devolve into pointless side arguments.

Someone forgot about those moronic "JG is the future/JG will be traded" threads from 3 months ago it seems :D

Alot of good info on here for day 1. Thanks again for all that contributed in keeping patfans updated!! Sixteen pages is quite a lot, I'll lock this thread in the morning and we can start a new thread for day 2.

Wheelman -what do you disagree with? Harmon played a lot more snaps than Rowe last year...
...You got a beef with Harmon?

Harmon can't cover like a cornerback. That's all. No beef with Harmon. I love the guy and what he does for us.

Hey Garropolites!! Your Binky HOF backup threw two int's today. Jacoby is looking good.

I'm sensing some tension out there in Garropoland.

:D:D:D <<<< This means I'm kidding.

Lewis a lock. He is handsdown the best Patriots rb.

As Ivan Fears has said, there's no one else on the roster(and few in the entire NFL), who brings that level of explosiveness.

Unfortunately, he's also been been hurt. So I'd expect BB will be careful with his #of snaps this year- not hard, considering the multitude of offensive weapons the Pats have.

But make no mistake -hes the best Pats rb and is a stone cold lock. Anyone saying otherwise is talking out their arse.
I still can't wrap my head around the "Lewis is on the bubble" talk coming from some. Really? The guy, barely off a "clean up" surgery and not back to full strength, scored three TD's in three ways against one of the best defenses in the league during the AFCDG. Unless he is IR'red again this summer, Dion Lewis will be on the final 53 and there is no doubt about that in my mind.

I can't help but wonder how many of them will disappear if the Pats are ever bad again, though? LOL
If/when that happens, WTF do you think this f###### place is gonna look like? 75% will be gone with the prevailing wind...and that's conservative. And many of them will be the people who dominate seemingly every thread here.

Some new bits and pieces from around . before Ashley closes the shop..

DUSSAULT Patspropaganda
— As expected Lawrence Guy stepped in for Alan Branch with the top unit next to Malcom Brown.
— Harvey Langi saw some time at outside linebacker and appeared to get thrown right into the mix.
Dion Lewis, he of silly bubble talk, appears to be the top kickoff return option at this point.
-- Jonathan Freeny — stepped right into the first “sub” defense alongside Kyle Van Noy. It would appear he’s ahead on the depth chart over Elandon Roberts.

BB from Patspulpit
-- Linebacker Kyle Van Noy broke up a pass intended for Gronkowski, while his position-mate Elandon Roberts made a lot of defensive calls with Hightower absent.
-- Undrafted rookie defensive tackle Josh Augusta was moving well throughout the session. The days of struggling with conditioning seem to be behind him.
-- Head coach Bill Belichick spent some time with linebacker Trevor Bates, trying to coach him up.
-- Cody Hollister looked better than his twin brother, making a slick, twisting catch in the end zone in 7 on 7 drills that drew loud cheers.

From Camp Blogservations: Energetic Gronkowski dominates day 1
-- DE Kony Ealy was on the field in sweats but did not take part in the workout. (so at least one guy manages to report that Ealy was there.. )
--Dwayne Allen struggled at times catching the ball in the spring, including during one very rainy practice. But the veteran trade addition caught the ball well on the first day of camp and looked like a more potent option in the passing game.
--David Harris took plenty of high-end reps at inside linebacker. The veteran actually had really tight coverage of Gillislee on one play.
--After dealing with a health issue during the spring, Duron Harmon took reps in group/team action throughout the morning. He did spend some time riding the bike in the middle of the fields during a couple breaks in his work.
--During kickoff return work the first group included Dion Lewis and Matthew Slater as the off returner. That was followed by Danny Amendola and James White. The three top blockers in front of the turners were James Develin, Brandon King and Geneo Grissom.
--Guys working off the edge to block the kicks included Jonathan Jones, Coleman, Moore II, D.J. Killings and Dwayne Thomas.
--Depth at the center position will be an area to watch this summer. In pre-practice work those snapping the ball to the quarterbacks included starter David Andrews as well as Cole Croston, Jason King and Jamil Douglas.
(+Karras of course snapping for Jimmy)
--The second group of offensive linemen included, from left to right, Cameron Fleming, Douglas, Karras, Croston and LaAdrian Waddle.
(So I guess we can consider Croston as a guard option - which was expected since they didn't bring new IOL guys after Barker and Ferris left.)

Last edited:
So Carr had the catch of the day I hear. We want him to be good, but not that good - right (if he is to be stashed on the PS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes