2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
Honest question.
Is there ANY part of BB or staff that cares about proving to the world their 1st round QB pick is a success on a primetime Mon night game?
After all the buzz, does Mr. "whatever is best for the team" care even 1% about the re-brand of the entire franchise - that Mac Jones plays well so it doesn't appear they just luck into QB's like Brady or Zappe, or waste a 1st time 1st round pick on a QB and cast doubt on his GM legacy? Knowing all I've witnessed of BB for 22 years, I can't say there isn't a bit of pride or ego that slips into this decision.

Honest question.
Is there ANY part of BB or staff that cares about proving to the world their 1st round QB pick is a success on a primetime Mon night game?
After all the buzz, does Mr. "whatever is best for the team" care even 1% about the re-brand of the entire franchise - that Mac Jones plays well so it doesn't appear they just luck into QB's like Brady or Zappe, or waste a 1st time 1st round pick on a QB and cast doubt on his GM legacy? Knowing all I've witnessed of BB for 22 years, I can't say there isn't a bit of pride or ego that slips into this decision.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Maybe they just feel Mac Jones is the better QB right now. If bill thought Mac Jones is done and zappe is better he would start him. He doesn't care if Mac is a 1st rounder or not.

Now, maybe giving up on your first round QB after 3 games into their 2nd season is just a ridiculous idea.

Plenty of the media have said as such.

Maybe to keep the locker room intact you have to go back to your team captain QB.
If Mac struggles Monday night my guess Bill would give Mac 2 or 3 whole quarters til he would decide to pull him if necessary.
Then the team sees Bill gave Mac a chance to get his job back.
Again Mac should be as motivated and locked in as he has been his entire football life.
He has a really real threat of it unraveling in front of him.
Reinserting Mac if healthy and seeing how the team performs with a healthy Mac makes all the sense in the world.

Here is an interesting breakdown on Zappe by Kurt Warner. I still wish Mac would take at least one more week better safe then sorry.

Maybe to keep the locker room intact you have to go back to your team captain QB.
If Mac struggles Monday night my guess Bill would give Mac 2 or 3 whole quarters til he would decide to pull him if necessary.
Then the team sees Bill gave Mac a chance to get his job back.
Again Mac should be as motivated and locked in as he has been his entire football life.
He has a really real threat of it unraveling in front of him.
Reinserting Mac if healthy and seeing how the team performs with a healthy Mac makes all the sense in the world.
Hunter Henry had Eight catches in two week we'll see if he keep his streak going. He's was almost non existent with Mac.

I want to take a minute at the start to appreciate both of these YOUNG QBs both dealing with more pressure than kids in their early 20s should. This is specific, mind-bending pressure, your whole identity and talent being subject to being wrapped up in these media/fan judgments. Takes a lot to tune that out at that age. I know they sort of learn it as part of the deal, but thanks to both since neither has run off screaming into the night or the NFL equivalent. Not that people dont deal with this all the time, but just general appreciation for both guys.

Moving on

Well, sounds like a decision has been made. Let's see how he performs.

You can't quote a media report as the last word. The last word is more often what happened than what "will" happen when it comes to the Pats and injuries.

This is also a high ankle sprain situation, which is like one other injury for its "gametime decision, rinse, repeat" potential. The other one is turf toe. Sorry KB.

I mean, Pats have been saying for the last 3 weeks that Mac was a game time decision. Gamesmanship? Again? Who the f*ck knows with Bill.
See above. I predicted they would be doing that when I heard high ankle sprain... not that BB doesn't like the latitude of this type of injury. We can dress Mac, sit him behind Zappe, and say we figured out at 7:30 he wasn't ready if all goes well for Zappe. Smile. By the time he plays he can be so far past questionable it takes the light from questionable a year to hit him.

Mac knows the pressure is on him. Apparently, he's taken over as the locker room lawyer questioning everything like Winovich did.
I don't know how accurate that report is, but if so, welcome to your new full-time gig, Mr. Zappe. If we wanted an unproven QB as coach we'd call Cliff Kingsbury.
Not everything is a conspiracy. Maybe they just feel Mac Jones is the better QB right now. If bill thought Mac Jones is done and zappe is better he would start him. He doesn't care if Mac is a 1st rounder or not.

Now, maybe giving up on your first round QB after 3 games into their 2nd season is just a ridiculous idea.

Plenty of the media have said as such.
Maybe they do. When did BB announce it?

Here is an interesting breakdown on Zappe by Kurt Warner. I still wish Mac would take at least one more week better safe then sorry.

The thing about a bad ankle sprain is it takes several months to get fully over it, and if he turns it again it could affect him for the rest of the season. Every extra week off that he can get now, he should take.

Mac seems to be much worse in the pocket. Anxious and panics. Guys are wide open and he doesn't see them. Very lousy. I'm a little disappointed. Knowing mac, he'll screw it up and get pulled.

Dang. Not sure why I didn't bother to watch the combine tape. Those are a couple of 60 air yard throws (Mac had a ~63? during his pro day). 3.05s from release to catch. With an average dropback of about 7yds, we're looking at max 53yds from LOS if directly down the field or a max of 45yds from LOS if thrown from opposite hash mark to the sideline. If someone like Thornton can get a free release (or motion to fake a jet sweep to a wheel route per an old thread I started for a head start), based on some magic numbers (from various TT runs), he can probably get to Zappe's max spot in just under 5s if lined up wide, for a Time to Throw of around 2 seconds. Hopefully Mr. Rocket Scientist is well aware of all this.
@Rob0729 had a very helpful post in another thread indicating the timing (this is for Mac). ~2.5s from snap to throw. Throw is made 7yds behind LOS with the ball coming from other hash (different widths in college) to the numbers. Coincidentally, ~2.5s release to catch (~38yds from LOS) with the throw traveling 51 air yds. So how to get it to Thornton, who can probably get to that spot ~.2s faster than Metchie? Throw it .2s earlier.

Edit: Just remembered that Mac's throw to Agholor in preseason also traveled around 51yds, and that took ~2.7s, so that had a pinch more air under the throw.

Last edited:
I want to take a minute at the start to appreciate both of these YOUNG QBs both dealing with more pressure than kids in their early 20s should. This is specific, mind-bending pressure, your whole identity and talent being subject to being wrapped up in these media/fan judgments. Takes a lot to tune that out at that age. I know they sort of learn it as part of the deal, but thanks to both since neither has run off screaming into the night or the NFL equivalent. Not that people dont deal with this all the time, but just general appreciation for both guys.

Moving on

You can't quote a media report as the last word. The last word is more often what happened than what "will" happen when it comes to the Pats and injuries.

This is also a high ankle sprain situation, which is like one other injury for its "gametime decision, rinse, repeat" potential. The other one is turf toe. Sorry KB.

See above. I predicted they would be doing that when I heard high ankle sprain... not that BB doesn't like the latitude of this type of injury. We can dress Mac, sit him behind Zappe, and say we figured out at 7:30 he wasn't ready if all goes well for Zappe. Smile. By the time he plays he can be so far past questionable it takes the light from questionable a year to hit him.

I don't know how accurate that report is, but if so, welcome to your new full-time gig, Mr. Zappe. If we wanted an unproven QB as coach we'd call Cliff Kingsbury.

Maybe they do. When did BB announce it?
Mac can expect whatever he wants.

Not his call.

How would you all rate the QBs drafted in the first four rounds of the last 2 drafts?

My ranking would look like this:

1. Trevor Lawrence
2A. Mac Jones
2B. Bailey Zappe
4. Davis Mills
5. Justin Fields
6. Kenny Pickett
7A. Zach Wilson
7B. Trey Lance
9. Ian Book

Haven't played enough: Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond, Malik Willis, Matt Corral, Desmond Ridder

How would you all rate the QBs drafted in the first four rounds of the last 2 drafts?

My ranking would look like this:

1. Trevor Lawrence
2A. Mac Jones
2B. Bailey Zappe
4. Davis Mills
5. Justin Fields
6. Kenny Pickett
7A. Zach Wilson
7B. Trey Lance
9. Ian Book

Haven't played enough: Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond, Malik Willis, Matt Corral, Desmond Ridder
1. Jones
2. Mills
3. Lawrence
4. Zappe

I would rather a 100% healthy Zappe over an 85-90% Mac. Let the kid heal and return 100%. Not a knock on Mac just don't see the reason to rush him back at less than full health, especially against this Bears team.

@Rob0729 had a very helpful post in another thread indicating the timing (this is for Mac). ~2.5s from snap to throw. Throw is made 7yds behind LOS with the ball coming from other hash (different widths in college) to the numbers. Coincidentally, ~2.5s release to catch (~38yds from LOS) with the throw traveling 51 air yds. So how to get it to Thornton, who can probably get to that spot ~.2s faster than Metchie? Throw it .2s earlier.

Edit: Just remembered that Mac's throw to Agholor in preseason also traveled around 51yds, and that took ~2.7s, so that had a pinch more air under the throw.

Why can't he throw more like that and less of the moon balls?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back