Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats can't get a top-5 QB, who do you want?

• Davis Mills

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Kellen Mond

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Jamie Newman

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • other: Ian Book, KJ Costello, Sam Ehlinger, Feleipe Franks, etc.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • none of the above; wait until 2022 to draft a QB

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • none of the above; go with a vet (Cam, Jimmy G, Alex Smith, etc.)

Votes: 11 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Obviously none of us know what the plan at QB is. Maybe we will do a deal with the Falcons, maybe a Darnold or Jimmy become available. One option will be to invest in a second tier QB and let them develop. Those names will include Mond, Mills, Newman, and Trask.

Ignoring whether people want a trade up or a trade, what are your views on these guys? I don't watch college football so will always come here for proper analysis from educated people.

Cheers guys

I don't think Trask or Newman have it, I think both of them will be out of the league by the end of their rookie contract

Mills and Mond have a chance but need time and the right situation.

Outside of them I give Ehlinger a shot to have a good career as a back up and KJ Costello has the ability but has not shown anything like the consistency or mental capacity to play in the NFL. I don't see it with Shane Buchele or Ian Book, practice squad at best

I have those 4 ranked Mond, Mills, Newman, Trask.

Mond is the most polished as a 4 year starter. He has a great arm, with a quick release, and has the athleticism to pick up yards with his legs when needed, move around the pocket effectively on boots etc. While his confidence in his arm can sometimes get him into trouble, he makes some wow throws. He does tend to lock in on his first receiver, but so do the other 3. It's actually what I like about Mac Jones - he is more advanced as a passer and has shown the ability to go through his progressions and look off defenders. That will stand him in good stead in the NFL.

I was surprised by Mills' testing numbers as I don't think they translate to the field, but he's a solid passer with a really good arm. He could be an NFL starter if he sits and learns for a couple of years.

Trask is a better passer than Newman but I think Newman, although raw, has more upside and I'd rather take a shot on that in the middle rounds. Trask has good touch but a weak arm and he's also a bit of a statue. I just don't see what you are hoping for with him.

My first choice would take Mond in the early 3rd round, although I wouldn't mind Mills or Newman in the 4th.

I don’t know much about the day 2 guys but I do know I’ve heard more about Mills since his pro day than I ever did during his years actually playing in college, which naturally makes me a little sceptical.

This QB coach has a breakdown on all of the second tier guys, including film of their good & bad under pressure.

Is Kyle Trask an NFL starter? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Should Davis Mills be considered a top 5 QB? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Is Kellen Mond a top 5 QB? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Is Jamie Newman a top 5 QB prospect? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Good to watch with a cup of coffee for those like me that only know about the top guys, if you don't have time to watch it all just skip to the last couple of minutes and he gives his final thoughts on each prospect.

This QB coach has a breakdown on all of the second tier guys, including film of their good & bad under pressure.

Is Kyle Trask an NFL starter? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Should Davis Mills be considered a top 5 QB? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Is Kellen Mond a top 5 QB? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Is Jamie Newman a top 5 QB prospect? Full 2021 NFL Draft Breakdown - YouTube

Good to watch with a cup of coffee for those like me that only know about the top guys, if you don't have time to watch it all just skip to the last couple of minutes and he gives his final thoughts on each prospect.
Will be watching this after dinner...Ta!

I like threads like this to review after the draft… Because I could care less about these guys if they’re not on the patriots, but if we pick one then I’ll be interested in seeing what peoples’ opinions are before we draft him

Obviously none of us know what the plan at QB is. Maybe we will do a deal with the Falcons, maybe a Darnold or Jimmy become available. One option will be to invest in a second tier QB and let them develop. Those names will include Mond, Mills, Newman, and Trask.

Ignoring whether people want a trade up or a trade, what are your views on these guys? I don't watch college football so will always come here for proper analysis from educated people.

Cheers guys
I don't see Darnold here.

I see either Jimmy or Mac Jones.

I an 99% sure it'll be one of those two on the roster come OTEs

Cheers guys

I'm pretty sure that not even BB knows. He has said as such himself, many times, prior to drafts. They just let things unfold and take the best thing that falls into their laps.

I wouldn't put it past him to draft a QB from East Gotham University.

He likes Jamie Newman best after the top 5.

Of the rest, only Kellen Mond has a chance of ending up a starter.

Doesn't think Trask will be a starter but a backup at best, and he's a big doubter that there's space in the league for Davis Mills.

That being said, I wonder why he keeps saying Newman is top 5, and then he says he may go in 3rd or 4th round.

Maybe my math skills are off but Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones make 5.

Does he think one of these 5 should not be taken until the 4th round?

Doesn't think Trask will be a starter but a backup at best, and he's a big doubter that there's space in the league for Davis Mills.

That being said, I wonder why he keeps saying Newman is top 5, and then he says he may go in 3rd or 4th round.

Yeah I noticed that, think he was reviewing one by one as he watched each players tape so his top 5 changed as more players were reviewed. He is more focused on whether these guys will make it in the NFL rather than being someone who is looking at exact draft order and rounds.

It's nice to actually see someone explain their reasoning rather than just going with the media consensus or offering nothing more than "he's got a strong arm and is mobile", which is all you ever hear on the bigger networks.

The media buzz goes up and down on things like Zach Wilson's pro day throw, but this coach on twitter pointed out that if you look at it technically, Wilson took an extra step in his dropback and is in fact something that needs fixing.

It's cool to see the gulf in understanding between people that have played/know the QB position and the one dimensional media guys who are wowed by flashy plays and 40 times.

Kellen Mond:
Senses the rush and steps up to avoid defenders.. “The thing with Mond is, and he shows this on film, showed this at the Senior Bowl, he is very slow to move his head from the primary targets. Tends to lock down on that No. 1 receiver, which will kill him at the next level. He has got great upside, but, like a lot of these guys, it is going to come down to coaching and development and the culture of the franchise.”

Davis Mills:
Goes to the check-down target, throws darts, and gets the ball through tight spots. Patient, buys time, and does not force the issue. Puts touch on throws when necessary and delivers a catchable pass. Elusive with the ability to escape the rush or pick up yardage with his legs.
Late pulling the trigger and has receivers waiting on the pass. Was a little erratic with his accuracy and pass placement last season. Unpolished and does not have a large body of work at the college level.

Jame Newman:
While RPO plays helped Newman make the most of what defenses were giving him in 2019, this strategy of holding onto the ball longer than usual also had its drawbacks. For starters, his timing was all over the place when throwing vertically, which forced his blockers to hold out against pressure longer. This allowed opposing defenses to sack him 22-times in 2019, which is not an insignificant number. On top of which, his passing rhythm was affected by this delay in passing, something that disrupted his receivers’ ability to time the throw. Struggles with his accuracy as well as pass placement and can be all over the place with throws. Even with these shortcomings in the latter half of the 2019 season, there is still a lot to like about Newman’s film on a technical basis. Newman hung tight in a crowded pocket often, stepping into pressure and delivering shots downfield without flinching. He has the arm strength to air the ball deep, however, his accuracy on vertical passes does leave a lot to be desired. If Newman can improve his deep-ball accuracy this season, teams looking for a quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft will find plenty to like about Newman.

I like Mills and Mond. I think Mills has the higher theoretical ceiling, but Mond seems safer. I don't hate Trask but he's third IMO.

Personally... I like Mond a little more. He needs coaching but he'll get it in NE. Mills is right behind him, though. I can imagine a double-dip possibility. The only downside is you may end up needing to carry 4 QBs this year, but is one roster spot a big sacrifice when you're trying to find your QBOTF? At the same time, roster space is already a little tight this year, before the draft has happened.

Mond - I think he can be a starter in the future but he looks a way off. He’s a one read only guy right now and there’s no certainty he can move beyond that.

Mills - Ugh. Throws some horrible balls and far too often for my liking. Some nice passes at times, but the bad ones are really bad. He seems to get confused by two receivers running the same routes at different levels and ends up throwing between them as though he’s not sure which one he’s throwing to. And twice, I saw him miss badly on simple uncovered screen passes. He’s an interception waiting to happen.

Mond - 3rd
Mills - 4th or worse.

@Ross12 Just coincidence that my post follow yours, it’s not a response to your post. It’s just that I’ve been watching Mills and Mond this afternoon.

Mond - I think he can be a starter in the future but he looks a way off. He’s a one read only guy right now and there’s no certainty he can move beyond that.

Mills - Ugh. Throws some horrible balls and far too often for my liking. Some nice passes at times, but the bad ones are really bad. He seems to get confused by two receivers running the same routes at different levels and ends up throwing between them as though he’s not sure which one he’s throwing to. And twice, I saw him miss badly on simple uncovered screen passes. He’s an interception waiting to happen.

Mond - 3rd
Mills - 4th or worse.

@Ross12 Just coincidence that my post follow yours, it’s not a response to your post. It’s just that I’ve been watching Mills and Mond this afternoon.
Mills is inconsistent but he has the tools.
not ready to start for maybe 2 seasons or so. Question for those who have dove into the film?
Has Mills progressed game to game or was it a plateau?

Maybe his maths skills are off? :)

Mills is inconsistent but he has the tools.
not ready to start for maybe 2 seasons or so. Question for those who have dove into the film?
Has Mills progressed game to game or was it a plateau?

Stidham had the tools. If I’m relying on someone to be a potential answer at QB, I think I need more than just tools. He’s fine to draft in the 4th and coach up and maybe he becomes something in a couple of years, but what he is not is an answer to the problem of who will be our QB for the next decade. He might become that answer, but there’s a LOT of projection in that.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back