PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow! This 2021 redraft has Mac Jones still going as the 5th QB with the Pats taking Davis Mills over him at 15. Jones drops to 19th

When was Jones being lauded as "the next great young quarterback"?? Seems like he's arguing against a false premise.

I had Mills as my third QB after Wilson and Fields. Since Lawrence was going to Jac.
I would of traded to the end of the first or beginning of the second to take Mills.
I bet if you twisted BBS arm Mills was ranked just below Mac Jones.
Perhaps the fact that Belichick didn't trade up for Jones might support this position.

How upset would Belichick been if a team had traded into 14 to pick Jones? Perhaps, not vey. He could have just traded down to the end of the first and chosen Mills (end of the first to get the extra year).

So Jones outplays all the rookie QB’s and drops? That’s stupid.
And how would the other 4 quarterbacks have played for the patriots. Would their results have been the same as it was?

What if Jones were drafted 2nd or 3rd? Wouldn't you now be saying that Jones was a bust. Or do you think that Jones would have shown more for SF or NY?
=================
I'm fine with our picking Jones at 15, and I would have been fine with Fields or with Mills at 30. The only team that might have drafted differently is SF. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are fine with their quarterback's development. They knew that they would have to wait a year.

I think Lawrence would have fared better in NE, but Jones won the job because he was able to run their offense, and I have no idea if any of the others could have made that leap that fast. In all likelihood the worst QB in the league would have started and the Patriots never would have made the playoffs.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
I think Lawrence would have fared better in NE, but Jones won the job because he was able to run their offense, and I have no idea if any of the others could have made that leap that fast. In all likelihood the worst QB in the league would have started and the Patriots never would have made the playoffs.
So, let us accept that Jones was the most ready QB of the five, and the only one likely to take the PATRIOTS to the playoffs in 2021.

Why would that make him a draft choice worthy of a pick early than 15? Perhaps, just perhaps, other GM's had their focus on 2022-2025 when drafting a quarterback. BTW, Jones may indeed have a better future than the others. It will never be known how much of his success was due to which team drafted him.

Personally, I would think that if Fields and Jones had been switched in their drafts, the results for the teams would have been close to the same.

So, let us accept that Jones was the most ready QB of the five, and the only one likely to take the PATRIOTS to the playoffs in 2021.

Why would that make him a draft choice worthy of a pick early than 15? Perhaps, just perhaps, other GM's had their focus on 2022-2025 when drafting a quarterback. BTW, Jones may indeed have a better future than the others. It will never be known how much of his success was due to which team drafted him.

Personally, I would think that if Fields and Jones had been switched in their drafts, the results for the teams would have been close to the same.

If da Bears took Mac and we took Fields, the former's record would've been about the same, while our record would've been worse... closer to 7-10 than to 10-7.

Yeah I can stomach a young QB with the reins on him a lot easier than a repeat of what we saw in 2020.

I have said this before, but Jones probably has far more room to grow and get better than people give him credit for. Most of what he has to work on his physical. He needs to get into better shape and get stronger. That is far easier to get better at than learning how to throw with anticipation, read defenses both before the snap and while the game is going, and throw with pinpoint accuracy. And since Jones is doughy and doesn't look like he spent a lot of time in the weight room in college, his room to grow in this area could be exponential if he dedicates himself. He has the ability to get much stronger if he wants. And then people likely will not be talking about his arm strength.
Maybe this is why he could take hellacious hits and get back up, he had no muscle to strain or pull in the first place. :D

Maybe this is why he could take hellacious hits and get back up, he had no muscle to strain or pull in the first place. :D
Partially true.
Flexibility and resilience is the more important muscle development than brute strength and appearance; when it comes to taking hits. Brady frustrated a few behemoths and fan bases with it.

Partially true.
Flexibility and resilience is the more important muscle development than brute strength and appearance; when it comes to taking hits. Brady frustrated a few behemoths and fan bases with it.
ancient Chinese philosopher Flung Poo say...Bernard Pollard say hurro...

ancient Chinese philosopher Flung Poo say...Bernard Pollard say hurro...
Ahaaaa.....but left knee joint has no muscle grasshopper.

All click bait. Not even worth explaining as Its done all the time. Movie critiques are done that way as well. I remember reading this one idiot ranking all the star wars movies and just to shake it up he rated the Last Jedi as #2. Not second from the bottom but second best ever. Mission accomplished, 5000 comments and thousands forwards to friends.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back