PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people say Mac Jones has a weak arm?

Last game...last series...4 throws...right on the money...leads the team right downfield to WIN THE GAME. Let me say this again...to WIN THE GAME. THAT is what I want from MY quarterback. Arm strength arguments are moronic.

Last game...last series...4 throws...right on the money...leads the team right downfield to WIN THE GAME. Let me say this again...to WIN THE GAME. THAT is what I want from MY quarterback. Arm strength arguments are moronic.
Seemed like that pick 6 is what won the game, that ended it at least.

He has below average arm strength for an NFL QB. He also has other great assets and a promising future. There’s no need to pretend otherwise.

Just using the eye ball test, I think he has good touch but at times there is a lack of velocity on the short and intermediate routes, especially when off base. Fortunately he has good anticipation and accuracy so it hasn't been a particular issue. He should hopefully be able to improve some of this with a full off season and the strength and conditioning programme but he's never going to be a plus strength passer. Thats not his game.

2 offseasons with Tom House and he's golden on arm strength. Although he can already make all the throws out to 50 yards *right now* if the OLine doesn't suck.

He has below average arm strength for an NFL QB. He also has other great assets. There’s no need to pretend otherwise.

He has excellent arm strength. You don't need bullet passes. Was Drew Brees' arm strength ok or not ??

Mac is not Chad Pennington.

He has excellent arm strength. You don't need bullet passes. Was Drew Brees' arm strength ok or not ??

Mac is not Chad Pennington.

Chad Pennington was quite good before his shoulder injuries.

I don’t understand you saying he doesn’t throw bullet passes while also saying he has excellent arm strength. That’s contradictory. I don’t think there’s any problem with saying he can be a very good QB without being to throw those bullet passes.

Chad Pennington was quite good before his shoulder injuries.

I don’t understand you saying he doesn’t throw bullet passes while also saying he has excellent arm strength. That’s contradictory. I don’t think there’s any problem with saying he can be a very good QB without being to throw those bullet passes.

1. Is his arm sufficient for every single NFL throw? YES YES.
2. Does he throw the fastest mph speed in the league? Dunno and it doesn't f'ing matter.

This ^^^^^^^^^

1. Is his arm sufficient for every single NFL throw? YES YES.
2. Does he throw the fastest mph speed in the league? Dunno and it doesn't f'ing matter.

His arm strength is below average, but I agree it’s sufficient because he’s accurate, has a quick release, and makes quick, accurate reads. I prefer those qualities over a big armed dumb quarterback.

His arm strength is below average, but I agree it’s sufficient because he’s accurate, has a quick release, and makes quick, accurate reads. I prefer those qualities over a big armed dumb quarterback.

It's not below average though. Whatever I don't even care to argue this point. I'm just glad so many NFL teams were morons due to the arm strength or other fake issues, that the kid was a total steal at #15 and the 5th QB taken. I also remember when contruction workers were claiming he only completed 50% of passes after his first read which never made any mathematical sense.

If Mac’s arm was elite I am sure he would have been gone before the Pats had a shot at drafting him. So it all worked out in the end for us and he will work on getting better this offseason.

I think he has a strong enough arm, which will get stronger . Some of his lob throws remind me of Eli, he seems to always lob the ball, and was always thinking we were going to intercept him, but didnt

He has below average arm strength for an NFL QB. He also has other great assets and a promising future. There’s no need to pretend otherwise.

Who is pretending? PatsFans love the theoretical suggestions that do not exist. No-one is pretending, unless you are.

The ball velocity required is dependent on when you recognize and throw the ball. If the QB "sees" the play earlier and throws the ball a half second sooner, the QB does not need as much velocity on the ball to "squeeze it in". Fans always like the pass when there is a lot of spin and zip on it, but those balls are harder to catch. When asked, Kendrick Bourne said that Mac's throws are like catching a pillow because he throws the ball so early he does not have to throw it as hard (not as much zip). Another way to say it is that Mac adds as much zip as is required, that is why you can not differentiate his short and long throws, both look effortless.

The comparison to Chad Pennington only means you never watched Chad Pennington throw. Mac looks completely different than Pennington. Chad used a painful motion to throw, Mac looks effortless.

It's not below average though. Whatever I don't even care to argue this point. I'm just glad so many NFL teams were morons due to the arm strength or other fake issues, that the kid was a total steal at #15 and the 5th QB taken. I also remember when contruction workers were claiming he only completed 50% of passes after his first read which never made any mathematical sense.

You don’t care to argue this point? That is exactly what you are doing in a thread specifically about this subject. C’mon.

It’s ok that he doesn’t have a strong arm because it’s good enough and he excels at the more important aspects of the position.

Theres an unofficial combine metric called "Ball Velocity" that is the closest thing we have to empirical evidence in this area. Unfortunately, there was no combine in 2021, so we don't have the numbers for Mac. Based on the eye test alone, he definitely seems to throw it slower than average for the NFL level. That doesn't necessarily mean he has a weak arm though.
I will have to politely disagree here. From what I can see, Mac can throw deep bullets when needed. Lasers. He also has an incredibly quick release. Most of his passes are short, touch passes since he cannot linger long in the pocket so we do not get to see his rifle arm that much but it is there. I do hope that San Francisco is watching him play...

You don’t care to argue this point? That is exactly what you are doing in a thread specifically about this subject. C’mon.

It’s ok that he doesn’t have a strong arm because it’s good enough and he excels at the more important aspects of the position.

The question of the thread is does he have a weak arm. Answer is hell no

Look at his Alabama tape -- Mac throws a beautiful, accurate deep ball. And neither of the supposed superstar receivers he was throwing to are lighting up the NFL. It's quite clear Mac threw those guys open with his head fakes and anticipation and placement.

They have advanced metrics on this - so far Tom Brady has thrown the fast ball in the NFL this year at 61 mph - at least according to one tweet. Unfortunately I have no idea how to get those advance metrics about ball velocity without access to those stats. Scouting reports said Mac was a high effort thrower - aka he has to use his whole body to get good velocity. Whereas other guys can really just arm to achieve the same velocity..

Think of those tough throws a short stop has to make where they can't really load up like an outfielder can...

As far as Mac goes..

We do know at the combine Josh Allen threw the ball 62mph. Mahomes however did not fair that well there - his arm strength is probably overrated.. Same with Watson. Mac's arm is probably as good as Watson's.. However I do buy into the high effort criticism. Most of Mac's strength is in his lower body.. His upper body is kinda scrawny.. So he probably uses his legs more then other QBs..

Nope...Mac sucks...can't throw...we shoulda taken the Mormon Menace & Mommy....oh the horror! The Jets out thought us again...we shoulda kept Cam and developed Stidham's rocket arm...remember that throw by Montana to Clark in the end zone that won a Super Bowl...now THAT was a rocket laser Montana threw off his back foot with the ball pointed upwards as it arc'ed into Clarks outstretched hands...laser throw...right....why don't you morons take a short walk off an extremely high expansion bridge...krist

Look at his Alabama tape -- Mac throws a beautiful, accurate deep ball. And neither of the supposed superstar receivers he was throwing to are lighting up the NFL. It's quite clear Mac threw those guys open with his head fakes and anticipation and placement.
I think Mac is great, and his arm strength is not something I'm concerned with. His Alabama receivers were pretty damn good though. Both Waddle and Smith are on pace for very respectable rookie seasons statistically, not great, but we could say the same about Mac's stats.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back