PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people say Mac Jones has a weak arm?

I hear you.

So many crappy QBs can throw it fast (see: Cam Newton). This is not relevant to whether a QB is good or not in the NFL. Mac can make all the throws (including 40 yards down the field) if the OLine does its job.

Reminds me of the hype if a NBA player can dunk really high or not. Does. Not. Matter.

Yeah its overrated. Arm strength can mean you are a bad QB or a good one, meaning it has no bearing on either.

Yeah its overrated. Arm strength can mean you are a bad QB or a good one, meaning it has no bearing on either.
It's overrated, as long as the arm is strong enough, but to say that it has no bearing is not accurate.

It's overrated, as long as the arm is strong enough, but to say that it has no bearing is not accurate.
I'm saying that I have seen guys with strong arms be bad QB's and I have seen guys with so called weak arms be good QB's. I mean basically if you are in the NFL you have an arm strong enough.

Interesting...looks like Mac's spiral has gotten a lot better since high school.
What I didn't know until watching that video is that Mac is also super accurate while throwing on the run...

I'm saying that I have seen guys with strong arms be bad QB's and I have seen guys with so called weak arms be good QB's. I mean basically if you are in the NFL you have an arm strong enough.
Nathan Peterman is one example of a QB who's in the NFL despite not having a strong enough arm.

Nathan Peterman is one example of a QB who's in the NFL despite not having a strong enough arm.
Maybe he was just a bad QB who also didnt have a strong arm?

Maybe he was just a bad QB who also didnt have a strong arm?

So this is the game you're going to play now? Really?

Ok, we're done here.

He has decent arm strength. Not near the top or the bottom. He has a stronger arm than Brady did his first few years. Brady developed very good arm strength over the years. So maybe Jones will too.

Based on him not having as strong an arm. Are you going to tell me that you've never compared people throwing a ball? I ask, because that would be informative as to how best to answer you.

There are different ways to demonstrate arm strength (velocity average, longest throw, etc...), and a smart comparison usually involves looking at more than one.
Ok, first of all I just want to make clear I'm not trying to be combative or anything. I dunno if it's just because it's over text that it feels that way but I just want to learn how to evaluate talent better.

So you're basing it on comparing his throws to other quarterbacks, may I ask did you compare him to his peers in this draft, or other pro QBs or both. And did you watch film or just watch the games casually?

I really appreciate you taking time to answer. :)

Reactions: Ian
He has decent arm strength. Not near the top or the bottom. He has a stronger arm than Brady did his first few years. Brady developed very good arm strength over the years. So maybe Jones will too.
Yeah he's not the only one in that category.

I don't think Matt Ryan has a strong arm and he's had a decently long NFL career.

Brady's arm strength was always excellent though.

No, he didnt have a stronger arm than brady his first few years. I hear this a lot, you guys need to go back and look at some of those early throws by Brady. That one to brown to beat miami in OT, I have never seen anything like that from Jones. I am not sure where this Brady does not have good arm strength came from. When brady has actually had a deep threat, he leads everytime in deep passing.

Ok, first of all I just want to make clear I'm not trying to be combative or anything. I dunno if it's just because it's over text that it feels that way but I just want to learn how to evaluate talent better.

So you're basing it on comparing his throws to other quarterbacks, may I ask did you compare him to his peers in this draft, or other pro QBs or both. And did you watch film or just watch the games casually?

I really appreciate you taking time to answer. :)
No problem. You can get a feel for a person's arm strength by watching them make throws (no surprise there). But it's not just about distance or velocity. It's about a combination of those, but it's also about how he throws when he's not throwing with perfect motion, how he can throw in weather, etc...

If you want to evaluate an NFL QB's arm, I've found that the best throws to watch are the bomb (go route depth= pure distance toss) deep out (zip and arc on the long angle of the triangle) and the small window pass at about 20-25 yards (controlled velocity). A QB who can throw the ball 50 yards, but has to put 100% of his body and form into it is likely to have a lesser arm than the QB who can make that same throw almost flatfooted, for example, though there are the occasional guys who just have platform and/or angle issues/strengths.

So this is the game you're going to play now? Really?

Ok, we're done here.
What game? I said arm strength is not what determines a good QB. I can give you examples of QB's with great arms that suck, and guys with ok arms being great. There is no game, calm down, stop thinking everything is an attack on you. If you dont agree then dont. Stop being uptight when someone does not agree with you.

A QB who can throw the ball 50 yards, but has to put 100% of his body and form into it is likely to have a lesser arm than the QB who can make that same throw almost flatfooted,
Also a higher risk of injuries in the longer term to his shoulder or arm

Also a higher risk of injuries in the longer term to his shoulder or arm
In reality, QB's throw a ball 50 yards about 1 time in 2 games. A guy who throws a lot will have 12 a year. QB's just do not bomb it down the field all the time. The high in passes that traveled more than 40 yards last year was 17 with 6 completed. QB's throw about 80 percent of their passes 15 yards and in.

Just using the eye ball test, I think he has good touch but at times there is a lack of velocity on the short and intermediate routes, especially when off base. Fortunately he has good anticipation and accuracy so it hasn't been a particular issue. He should hopefully be able to improve some of this with a full off season and the strength and conditioning programme but he's never going to be a plus strength passer. Thats not his game.

Strictly from the eye test: it seems when Mac *really* needs to zip an intermediate throw, the extra effort is noticeable. I'd even say it looks like it adds a couple tenths of a second to his release. So yeah it's not as effortless as some of the big armed guys make it seem. Still, plenty good enough and his game is all about touch and accuracy anyway.

No problem. You can get a feel for a person's arm strength by watching them make throws (no surprise there). But it's not just about distance or velocity. It's about a combination of those, but it's also about how he throws when he's not throwing with perfect motion, how he can throw in weather, etc...

If you want to evaluate an NFL QB's arm, I've found that the best throws to watch are the bomb (go route depth= pure distance toss) deep out (zip and arc on the long angle of the triangle) and the small window pass at about 20-25 yards (controlled velocity). A QB who can throw the ball 50 yards, but has to put 100% of his body and form into it is likely to have a lesser arm than the QB who can make that same throw almost flatfooted, for example, though there are the occasional guys who just have platform and/or angle issues/strengths.

This whole conversation has reminded me of a game, I wanna say it was against Seyton Manning and the Donkos in Gillette where Brady was just zippin it in the wind and Seyton was throwing wounded ducks all night.

Ah, I found it. It was the 24 point comeback game.

Playing in the SEC I'm wondering if Mac had to throw in wind at all.

This whole conversation has reminded me of a game, I wanna say it was against Seyton Manning and the Donkos in Gillette where Brady was just zippin it in the wind and Seyton was throwing wounded ducks all night.

Ah, I found it. It was the 24 point comeback game.

Playing in the SEC I'm wondering if Mac had to throw in wind at all.
Yes and that is why I never got the brady weak arm ****. lol. Remember the blizzard game against the bears in Chicago. 50 mph winds swirling? Brady had 381 yards passing. Anyone who questioned arm strength with brady didnt watch him play.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back