PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Mac Jones have any Trade Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It has been widely reported within the last day or so, The Patriots are not going to pick up the fifth year option on Mac Jones...

There is even a question as to whether or not he will even be on the team in 2024... when asked about it, Mayo gave almost Belichickian-like response... full of some realities and some platitudes... basically it boiled down to "We'll see"...

Linked in the news section was this NESN article...

Lists Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Denver & Atlanta as potential landing spots for a Mac Jones trade... Can't see any of those teams making a deal for Jones tbh... Tomlin isn't stupid, and with Mason Rudolph there, is there room for Mac? Vegas? pretty much "patriot-ed out" so highly unlikely... Atlanta? last thing a new coach needs is a reclamation project when they will most likely be looking to move up in the draft for a QB... and Denver? Highly doubtful that they can straighten out that cap hell Wilson has them in before they make a move to bring in a project, let alone one they would have to give up a draft pick for after giving up 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a third for Wilson & a 4th (plus a few bottom of the roster guys swapped around)...

I cant see anyone giving up anything for Mac... why? because most will think that he will end up being released... I'm sure his agent (if he has any brains/sack) has already started the "release him" process...

so who would give up a pick for him, even a 6th or 7th, at this point?

I can't see it...

Last edited:
It has been widely reported within the last day or so, The Patriots are not going to pick up the fifth year option on Mac Jones...

There is even a question as to whether or not he will even be on the team in 2024... when asked about it, Mayo gave almost Belichickian-like response... full of some realities and some platitudes... basically it boiled down to "We'll see"...

Linked in the news section was this NESN article...

Lists Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Denver & Atlanta as potential landing spots for a Mac Jones trade... Can't see any of those teams making a deal for Jones tbh... Tomlin isn't stupid, and with Mason Rudolph there, is there room for Mac? Vegas? pretty much "patriot-ed out" so highly unlikely... Atlanta? last thing a new coach needs is a reclamation project when they will most likely be looking to move up in the draft for a QB... and Denver? Highly doubtful that they can straighten out that cap hell Wilson has them in before they make a move to bring in a project, let alone one they would have to give up a draft pick for after giving up 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a third for Wilson & a 4th (plus a few bottom of the roster guys swapped around)...

I cant see anyone giving up anything for Mac... why? because most will think that he will end up being released... I'm sure his agent (if he has any brains/sack) has already started the "release him" process...

so who would give up a pick for him, even a 6th or 7th, at this point?

I can't see it...
49ers got a 4th rounder for Lance who has done literally nothing in the NFL and no realistic path to a starter job. If the Pats want to trade Jones maybe that's a good baseline to start from. IMO.

Yeah the people saying he is a 6th are biased which is understandable. But a 4th for a back up is the floor for mac. I would expect him packaged with a pick swap for a second or maybe even a first giving him around a 3rd round value

49ers got a 4th rounder for Lance who has done literally nothing in the NFL and no realistic path to a starter job. If the Pats want to trade Jones maybe that's a good baseline to start from. IMO.
Doing nothing > Playing poorly

Trey Lance had limited starts/game time ... getting 4 starts in two years > getting benched 4 times in one season...

I would be shocked if we net anything for him... because everyone will probably guess we will dump him on the scrap heap

5th round at best

He's been scouted. His playing time/performance is held against him

Looks like Lance is still a better option than Mac.

Looks like Lance is still a better option than Mac.

Caveat emptor if Shanahan of all coaches punted on getting any value for his 3 first round picks to draft him.

With that said I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets get him for Zach Wilson. Lol

Doing nothing > Playing poorly

Trey Lance had limited starts/game time ... getting 4 starts in two years > getting benched 4 times in one season...

I would be shocked if we net anything for him... because everyone will probably guess we will dump him on the scrap heap
I don't think he was all that in the starts that he did get. The 4th was for potential but even that has an expiry date IMO.

You're probably right though about Jones. Rather than cutting him outright I'd rather bring him in to camp if there's no market for him and maybe he can be showcased in the preseason. I think his value is the 1-2 years he has left on his rookie contract.

I don't think he was all that in the starts that he did get. The 4th was for potential but even that has an expiry date IMO.
agreed, when he did play Lance was not lighting the NFL on fire...

But Mac? Mac literally burned the house down around him

agreed, when he did play Lance was not lighting the NFL on fire...

But Mac? Mac literally burned the house down around him
A team would have to look at Jones and wonder if it was him or if it was the team. If the Pats can convince someone it was the team that failed him maybe he'll get another shot. 2 years of a rookie contract is low risk and high-ish reward.

thats the one thing that *might* help us get something for him... someone always thinks "I can fix him"

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
I’d be pretty surprised if we were able to swindle a team out of a fifth round pick for him. 6th maybe.

No.

He has a big salary for a rookie being the 15th pick, nobody is picking up the 5th year option. Another Pats 1st round pick who will be cut or traded for a 7th pick before his rookie contract is even up.

No.

He has a big salary for a rookie being the 15th pick, nobody is picking up the 5th year option. Another Pats 1st round pick who will be cut or traded for a 7th pick before his rookie contract is even up.
Once we officially decline the 5th year option, its gone... no team can exercise it unless they trade for him prior to the Pats exercising that clause

When you barely play in the league, other teams don’t know how bad you are and are hanging to your potential.

Teams saw how bad Mac was and he has basically no potential. What he did in his rookie year is his ceiling. It would be a miracle if we can get any draft pick.

At this point, just cut him and take your losses and move on.

I think you're trading him to a team who needs a backup. Miami or Carolina backing up Crimson Tide alum is one thought I had. Maybe Minnesota to backup Cousins. I don't see a lot of value coming back. Take what you can get and move on. If he comes back here the crowd is going to go crazy the first time he throws a stupid pick. Maybe he can regenerate his career elsewhere even if it's just as a backup but NE is not the place.

If we can get a 5th for Jones, I'll drive him to Logan airport myself....

Late rounder or a pick swap would be my guess. Not like there are any of his old coaches left hanging around who may offer anything of any real value.

They should try to rehabilitate him and give him plenty of playing time in the preseason. Then maybe he’ll improve his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes