• Hoyer

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Zappe

Votes: 102 73.9%
  • Free Agent

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters
???

Brady had won the backup job in 2001. Zappe did not beat out Hoyer in 2022.

The only good thing about Hoyer starting?

He is going to help our draft position
With an offense lacking in talent, rolling with a washed up journeyman can only help our draft position

Hopefully Mac will be fine when he returns

I'm confused by people who think we have a shot to be competitive with Hoyer. Like the "start Zappe" crowd will out and admit we're not winning anything but the Hoyer crowd thinks we have a shot with him?? That disconnect is funny bc Hoyer has done nothing to give you optimism or reason and he's looked like a rookie w/e he's played for almost a decade.
This is all on Hoyer. If he plays like he did in the KC game, he'll get demoted and they'll elevate Zappe the same way they did Stidham. So it all depends on whether or not he learned his lesson from the last time, or if he'll implode again. If that happens, people will get their wish and we'll just end up seeing the rookie out there.

Possibly, but there is no upside with Hoyer

He is … what he is.

I would choose the young guy with possible upside who will benefit from the experience.

It's not about upside. It's about trying to keep in contention while Jones is healing.

I'm not sure why anyone is having difficulty with this. Hoyer beat out Zappe. Hoyer is the backup QB. Therefore, unless you're punting on the season, you go to Hoyer over Zappe. If Hoyer wets himself to the point where the coach thinks it's time to bring in the rookie, that becomes a different story.

We can all make poke fun at Hoyer's play, but in the end, he has made over $34 million playing in the NFL (more like NOT playing). Anyone here made that kinda scratch?

At least he has had a week of practice.

The only good thing about Hoyer starting?

He is going to help our draft position
With an offense lacking in talent, rolling with a washed up journeyman can only help our draft position

Hopefully Mac will be fine when he returns

You derisively call out Hoyer, and talk about how he is going to help the draft position, as if Zappe was some talent in the offseason and was wrongly slotted into the QB3 slot. In reality, Zappe is likely only on the team because he was a high enough pick that BB didn't cut him, because he showed no sign of being an NFL-level QB.

Hoyer did not beat out Zappe, he was given the job by default.

How many snaps did Hoyer get in preseason vs Zappe?

If they made Zappe #2 coming out of Camp, Hoyer would be gone the way Brady replaced Huard in 2001.

Hoyer did not beat out Zappe, he was given the job by default.

How many snaps did Hoyer get in preseason vs Zappe?

If they made Zappe #2 coming out of Camp, Hoyer would be gone the way Brady replaced Huard in 2001.
Hoyer completed almost 73% of his passes in preseason throwing to a bunch of no names and didn't turn it over. He played well enough to be where he is - albeit, we'd all prefer it if he didn't need to play.

1664571321498.png

Hoyer completed almost 73% of his passes in preseason throwing to a bunch of no names and didn't turn it over. He played well enough to be where he is - albeit, we'd all prefer it if he didn't need to play.

View attachment 45854

I have seen enough of Hoyer to realize he is not going to take us to the promise land.

He does have me researching mock drafts 2023.

I have seen enough of Hoyer to realize he is not going to take us to the promise land.

LOL, while true, he may do enough to go .500 or so over a couple of starts and hopefully give Jones a chance to get things headed back in the right direction whenever he's able to return. ;)

I do sort of remember him having an okay preseason. Okay great hanging my hat on that. I mean, makes for a more interesting Sunday.

Nobody is looking for Hoyer to get anyone to the promised land. The hope is that a backup QB can help the team tread water until Jones returns. So what matters is that Hoyer is the backup QB, and Zappe did nothing to make that a tough call for the coach.

View attachment 45854
Also completed 76% 2021 preseason and 82% 2021 reg season (that you prob already know).

To be fair to the realists (which I'm clearly not), there was a throw this last preseason that was somewhat close to an INT.

What Benefit do you get by fielding a washed up journeyman in a year we probably won’t make the playoffs ?

Absolutely none... But Billy's already done this before, in 2020... Halas & Shula beckon, after all... Same reason he hasn't yet IRed Mac...

Not sure if this was mentioned, but this'll be Zappe's 1st active game. Better be ready, buddy.

Surprised we haven't picked up a QB. I guess they have a lot of confidence in JM16.

Old man Hoyer is the worst quarterback in nfl history. I know pop Warner quarterbacks with stronger arms than him

If he starts it’s to get the number 1 overall pick, otherwise every coach should be fired and the stadium shouldn’t sell 1 ticket to watch the most boring, unathletic, weakest throwing qb in history
I grew up in NYC in the 1970s. I was a Jet’s fan until 1975, when I became a Patriot’s fan at age 13. Anyway, whenever the Jet’s Joe Namath got hurt, his backup was a gentleman named Al Woodall. He makes Hoyer look like Tom Brady. There is a LONG list of horrible NFL QBs, there are many that were worse than Hoyer.

Hoyer has passed for over 10,500 yards and has 53-35 TD/INTs. Woodall passed for less than 3,000 yards, and has 18/23 TD/INTs. Woodall is the worst I’ve ever seen.

I doubt Zappe is ready yet, so bite the bullet and play Hoyer. Run the ball heavy and try to control the pace of play. Blitz Rodgers all day and beat him to a pulp. He doesn’t trust his receivers, so now is the time to do it.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but this'll be Zappe's 1st active game. Better be ready, buddy.

Surprised we haven't picked up a QB. I guess they have a lot of confidence in JM16.
Ok now I'm curious who the emergency QB is now that Jakobi's out.

Edit: never mind - found him

Last edited:
Nobody is looking for Hoyer to get anyone to the promised land. The hope is that a backup QB can help the team tread water until Jones returns. So what matters is that Hoyer is the backup QB, and Zappe did nothing to make that a tough call for the coach.

Hoyer terrible in 2020

Didn’t we cut Hoyer in camp 2021?

And nobody signed him & he ended up on our practice squad before getting promoted after they didn’t have to guarantee his contract.

I would give the kid a chance.

Difference of opinion on a couple guys who
Won’t be taking us to the promise land.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference