Who is in

• Hoyer

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Zappe

Votes: 102 73.9%
  • Free Agent

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters
It's desperate.... I'd rather see Meyers worked in with some wildcat plays just to see if GB can defend it. If it works, keep doing it, if not then just lose the conventional way with Hoyer and lots of running plays.

Why carry 2 backup QBs that give you zero chance of winning a game. Is there no one else out there? We should have someone that at least could make something happen.

How'd you go from Brady, JG & Brisett to this room.
You'd have a better chance with hoyer as the offensive coordinator versus Patricia and judge

So you bring up 2014 …8 years ago when he was in his physical prime ??? He’s now age 36..almost 37, and has clearly gotten worse every year as he continues to get old
Correct, it’s irrelevant… as irrelevant as bringing up his losing games in 2016 and 2017 a couple years later and going on and on about his “losing streak.” That’s my point.

Name a couple starting QB’s you would take Hoyer over - Week#4 2022 season
Do you know of any starting QBs that are available for us to sign for this week? I thought they were all under contract.

It's desperate.... I'd rather see Meyers worked in with some wildcat plays just to see if GB can defend it. If it works, keep doing it, if not then just lose the conventional way with Hoyer and lots of running plays.
If he didn't have a bad knee, that'd be fun. Dude has a gun for an arm (completed a ~72yd air yard pass in HS).

The specific circumstances regarding the KC/Pats 2020 start:

Early in the 2020 season, Cam Newton tested positive for COVID-19 on a Friday night, two days before the Patriots were set to face the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium. Hoyer found out the following morning that he’d need to start against the defending Super Bowl champs. This revelation came after Newton had spent the entire week taking first-team reps, running an offense that had been redesigned to fit his unique skill set. The game eventually was postponed to Monday, with the Patriots flying into KC just hours before kickoff.

I remember at the time, I was surprised that Hoyer was QB2, as Stidham seemed to be heir apparent. The quick leash (and subsequent benching) tells me that the competition was darn close coming into that game. Nice break having back to back starts against future HoFs. We'll see if a full week of practice as QB1 makes a difference.

Over the long term everyone prefers Mac over Hoyer, he's younger and presumably will improve while we've already seen Hoyer's ceiling (which is not franchise caliber quarterbacking), however given Mac's struggles over his last 8 games (14 turnovers), and the upcoming softer schedule, I think Hoyer can win as many games as Mac for the next 6 weeks. I don't believe replacing Mac with Hoyer creates any immediate limitations on the playbook either. Their skill sets being similar.

The only way you would ever consider bringing in a FA quarterback is if Mac's out for the season. In that case you would need another quarterback anyway, unless you have any confidence at all in Zappe, which currently I do not. That said, the list of FA quarterbacks is scary. In fantasy land you could check in on Andrew Luck, hasn't played since 2018, but he's still only 33.

Hoyer for now, then Zappy after the trade deadline when we're out of realistic contention and the dead-weight vets (should)have been unloaded...
I think some folks already know who's first on my list there... and second...

I have a feeling that both backup QBs are brittle and injury prone. But Hoyer knows the system better. He is like an assistant QB coach. Don’t forget he was never drafted. More embarrassing than it was for Brady at 199.

ESPN even had a camera in his Cleveland family room as he sat on his sofa with his then girlfriend way back when in 2008.

It would be sweet for him and the Patriots to do well. Belichick and his defensive staff, not a very good one at that, got out coached last week in the second half by the Ravens impressive OC, Greg Roman who, unlike Stevie, worked his way up. He earned it.

I expect Belichick to turn his primary focus to the defensive side of the ball. They had some really bad moments against the Ravens. One is the 34 yard run by Justice Hill when it was second and short.

I’ve written about it before. Judon got taken out by a Big Big block that could be heard throughout the stadium by their all pro fullback. Barmore was double teamed and lost contain. And Juwan Bentley screwed up, taking a bad angle. Jon Jones does a Deion Sanders impression, missing the initial tackle. Give him credit for hustling and running it down unlike McCourty.

Devin McCourty jogs along once Hill had broken free as if he were running down a frisbee at the beach. Is he just mailing it in? I don’t know who the weakside middle linebacker was. He got eaten up by a purple blob.

The run went to the Patriots four yard line.

Unacceptable. Multiple players screwing up: getting physically dominated (Judon), getting confused (Barmore), taking wrong angles (Jon Jones & JuWrong Bentley), and just dogging it (Devin McCourty). This has to make Belichick sick to his stomach.

Last edited:
Looking at the poll results... 70% in favor of Zappe over Hoyer. Are people voting that way out of curiosity, for entertainment purposes, or do they really believe Zappe gives the team a better chance of winning? I mean that's the goal, right, winning as many games as possible. Isn't that obviously Hoyer? Zappe hasn't taken a real snap in the NFL yet. He was a one-year starter for a subdivision program. Prior to that he started for something called the Houston Baptist Huskies. He was a projected 7th round draft pick at best. Hoyer's a 13-year NFL veteran with 39 career starts, which alone makes him far more qualified for the short term gig as the starter.

I have a feeling that both backup QBs are brittle and injury prone. But Hoyer knows the system better. He is like an assistant QB coach. Don’t forget he was never drafted. More embarrassing than it was for Brady at 199.

ESPN even had a camera in his Cleveland family room as he sat on his sofa with his then girlfriend way back when.

It would be sweet for him and the Patriots to do well. Belichick and his defensive staff, not a very good one at that, got out coached last week by the Ravens impressive OC, Greg Roman who, unlike Stevie, worked his way up. He earned it.

I expect Belichick to turn his primary focus to the defensive side of the ball. They had some really bad moments against the Ravens. One is the 34 yard run by Justice Hill when it was second and short.

I’ve written about it before. Judon got taken out by a Big Big block that could be heard throughout the stadium by the all pro fullback. Barmore screwed up and lost contain, more confusion than being physically dominated. And Juwan Bentley absolutely screwed up big time, taking a JV angle in the play. And Devin McCourty jogged along once Hill had broken free as if he were running down a frisbee at the beach. I don’t know who the other middle linebacker was. He got eaten up by a purple blob.

The run went to the Patriots four yard line.

Unacceptable.

Yeah the sad thing on that particular run is Lamar wasn't even a threat on that one straight hand off Big play at the time.

Looking at the poll results... 70% in favor of Zappe over Hoyer. Are people voting that way out of curiosity, for entertainment purposes, or do they really believe Zappe gives the team a better chance of winning? I mean that's the goal, right, winning as many games as possible. Isn't that obviously Hoyer? Zappe hasn't taken a real snap in the NFL yet. He was a one-year starter for a subdivision program. Prior to that he started for something called the Houston Baptist Huskies. He was a projected 7th round draft pick at best. Hoyer's a 13-year NFL veteran with 39 career starts, which alone makes him far more qualified for the short term gig as the starter.
I want for Zappe to have outplayed Hoyer day in and day out in practice, just like Mac did to Cam last year. I want for Zappe to have been that guy that's why I voted Zappe as my first impulse.

Now I'm on board the Axel the Destroyer train and fully believe he gives us the best chance.

What has changed?

In 2020 when Newton got hurt, Hoyer lasted 2.5 quarters as NE's starter and he was not only benched the rest of that season....

Hoyer never dressed for another game in 2020.

Yet Bill keeps resigning him as his trusted #2

What has changed?
Answer:
Hoyer has achieved elevated Friends & Family status

Family GIF

What does that have to do either with his games as a starter before this year or whether he should play over Zappe?

What Benefit do you get by fielding a washed up journeyman in a year we probably won’t make the playoffs ?

By fielding the rookie, there is an unknown result and the development will only help
The young player develop.

The unknown could be a disaster, but so could an aging journeyman.

Would you have preferred a Damon Huard over Brady in 2001?

What Benefit do you get by fielding a washed up journeyman in a year we probably won’t make the playoffs ?

By fielding the rookie, there is an unknown result and the development will only help
The young player develop.

The unknown could be a disaster, but so could an aging journeyman.

That was a little different. Brady outplayed Huard in the preseason. The same can't be said for Zappe. At the same time, Brady didn't outplay the other back-ups during his rookie season either, so it sort of makes sense. Although, to your point, Brady ultimately saw action during Thanksgiving day of that year so obviously, every situation is clearly different and things can change.

That was a little different. Brady outplayed Huard in the preseason. The same can't be said for Zappe. At the same time, Brady didn't outplay the other back-ups during his rookie season either, so it sort of makes sense. Although, to your point, Brady ultimately saw action during Thanksgiving day of that year so obviously, every situation is clearly different and things can change.

I just don’t see a benefit of playing Hoyer.
He was terrible in 2020 & I don’t expect him to be any better in 2022.

At least we can learn if Zappe has what it takes to be a backup going forward and any playing time will help his development

If Zappe is a total bust, we can move on and replace him with Hoyer down the line.

Hoyer should be a last resort considering this team has little to no chance of making the playoffs in 2022.

If this was a 1 game replacement on a team heading in the right direction, I could understand the Hoyer decision

I just don’t see a benefit of playing Hoyer.
He was terrible in 2020 & I don’t expect him to be any better in 2022.

At least we can learn if Zappe has what it takes to be a backup going forward and any playing time will help his development

If Zappe is a total bust, we can move on and replace him with Hoyer down the line.

Hoyer should be a last resort considering this team has little to no chance of making the playoffs in 2022.

If this was a 1 game replacement on a team heading in the right direction, I could understand the Hoyer decision
Belichick won't ever give up on a season unless they truly have no shot. The AFC is a mess this year overall so it's way too early to say it's over, which is why they're doing it.

When you're 2-7 you start Zappe. But only three games in, it's not even close to the time to wave the white flag just yet. So they'll take what they deem to be the safest route, which is why Hoyer will get the nod.

A better chance to win games while you're still not eliminated.

Belichick won't ever give up on a season unless they truly have no shot. The AFC is a mess this year overall so it's way too early to say it's over, which is why they're doing it.

When you're 2-7 you start Zappe. But only three games in, it's not even close to the time to wave the white flag just yet. So they'll take what they deem to be the safest route, which is why Hoyer will get the nod.
I'm confused by people who think we have a shot to be competitive with Hoyer. Like the "start Zappe" crowd will out and admit we're not winning anything but the Hoyer crowd thinks we have a shot with him?? That disconnect is funny bc Hoyer has done nothing to give you optimism or reason and he's looked like a rookie w/e he's played for almost a decade.

???

Brady had won the backup job in 2001. Zappe did not beat out Hoyer in 2022.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST