Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Zappe

Votes: 102 73.9%
  • Free Agent

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters
Enjoy watching the team this week LOL

rofl.gif

Is that supposed to be some sort of "Gotcha!"?

As I said, troll better.

The last time Hoyer started a game for the Pats was against KC...He was...uh...beyond horrible. I expect nothing better a few years later. I'll take the Zappe poison for $500 Alex...

If Zappe gets chance to play, it should be more than just 1 game. Rookies need time to adjust to NFL rythm. Mac's 3 games were not good. We need to check viable long term solutions and Patriots 2022 season is not that promissing, so that one new rookie would not mess it up.

The last time Hoyer started a game for the Pats was against KC...He was...uh...beyond horrible. I expect nothing better a few years later. I'll take the Zappe poison for $500 Alex...
Hopefully he can remember how many timeouts they have in this upcoming game.

This is a tough decision, playing Hoyer is an easy "he gives us the best chance to win" answer. I think we all want to see Zappe, because (although some of us won't admit it) we know this team (even with a healthy Mac) isn't going anywhere, so why not give Zappe a shot? He may be the next Tom Brady; he may elevate his stock enough that BB could get a 2032 7th round pick for him. But really, what do the Pats have to lose?

Of course, we have seen this scenario before with Stidham, and what did BB do? Well, he didn't play the youngster.

I think we are getting Hoyer, probably for at least the next three weeks. It's too bad because after GB, the Pats schedule has some winnable games, until they get to Buffalo.

Hoyer's like a 1990 Chrysler Imperial with a few donut spare tires on, and Zappe's a brand new rear wheel drive Miata with a set of summer tires driving in Wisconsin in the snow.

Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles…both flunkies compared to the Great One in Waiting.

Sunday will be Hoyer Time!

Songs will be written, children conceived, and Packers crushed on this night.

Reading through the play by play for that game is rough. Could've been tied 6-6 going into the half if not for the brain fart. Brutal Hoyer fumble at the KC 10 that could've put the Pats up 10-6 in the 3rdQ (which led to the benching). Stidham then throws a TD and 2 INTs going 5 for 13.

Not sure I'd want a rookie going up against Rodgers in GB. That being said, based on everyone's expectations for Hoyer, we'll probably see him sooner rather than later if and when the Pats are getting blown out.
Yeah Hoyer honestly played well if you take out the couple mistakes. The issue is that the couple mistakes were absolutely brutally bad and killed any chance the team had at staying competitive with a very good KC team. Then they put in Stidham who really was not better at all.

If they can get the same or better from Hoyer as they did in that game (he looked pretty decent in camp, especially throwing to Thornton!) and just have him not make epic mistakes, I think he can beat lower-end teams.

he looked pretty decent in camp, especially throwing to Thornton!
Hoyer to Thornton in the preseason reminded me of Montana to Rice or Bradshaw to Swan. When’s the skinny guy coming back?

Brian: “You know, I’d like to get into coaching.”

Brian’s wife: “Your ass isn’t going to get paid a tiny salary when you could get paid $2 million to be on the roster and not even have to play. Get your pads on!”

- Mac Jones high ankle sprain -

Brian: :oops:

This is a tough decision, playing Hoyer is an easy "he gives us the best chance to win" answer. I think we all want to see Zappe, because (although some of us won't admit it) we know this team (even with a healthy Mac) isn't going anywhere, so why not give Zappe a shot? He may be the next Tom Brady; he may elevate his stock enough that BB could get a 2032 7th round pick for him. But really, what do the Pats have to lose?

Of course, we have seen this scenario before with Stidham, and what did BB do? Well, he didn't play the youngster.
Stidham did play. I'd guess these are reasons why he didn't play more plus whatever they saw in practices.

As for Zappe I wouldn't get my hopes up that he's the next Tom Brady.

Play Hoyer against the Packers, let the vet fall on that sword.

If Mac's really hurt and going to be out longer than expected, let's wait and see what Zappe can give us after that. This is exactly why they drafted him. Mac might regress, Mac might need to see another young QB behind him play semi decent to light a fire under his azz and realize his role as a starter is not carved in stone.

They'll have their hands full with Green Bay, they're probably the best team in the NFC... they'll probably lose.

After that they have a long string of manageable games they can bring another rookie QB along and teach him. A 1-3 start isn't a death sentence if they play well afterwards.... the only position they can't seem to get consistency from at this point is the QB position. Even "good" mistake free QB play with this OLine, run game and defense would be a tough team to beat.

I'm fine with losing so we can get some top 5 talent for once (if we don't muff the selection). Throw zappe out there

the only position they can't seem to get consistency from at this point is the QB position.

Damn. That’s crazy. Not sure who could have seen that coming.

I'm fine with losing so we can get some top 5 talent for once (if we don't muff the selection). Throw zappe out there
BB would salivate at how many picks he could acquire from a top 5 pick trade down. He could get us a lifetime supply of 2nd round bust DBs..

Based on what I saw in the preseason Zappe doesn't look like an NFL caliber backup so I definitely don't want him starting any real games. Hoyer's not an NFL caliber starter but he's probably competent enough for the team to be competitive during the softest stretch of their schedule. I think most had @Green Bay penciled in as a loss even with Mac. The next 6 games after that...

Detroit
@Cleveland
Chicago
@NYJ
Indianapolis
NYJ

My outlook on these games does not change with Hoyer at quarterback... probably 5-1 but no worse than 4-2. I think they'll be 6-4 heading into the final 7 games when Mac should be health and the team will need him back for...

@Minnesota
Buffalo
@Arizona
@LVR
Cincinnati
Miami
@Buffalo

I have 0-2 against Buffalo so the season will come down to the other 5 games. @Arizona and @LVR look more winnable while the Miami matchup looks tougher now. Ultimately I still have them finishing at 9-8 so at this point I would say the Jones injury won't effect their record (provided Hoyer is the interim starter).

Damn. That’s crazy. Not sure who could have seen that coming.
Young players are a byproduct of rebuilding, you can't really have one without the other.

Based on what I saw in the preseason Zappe doesn't look like an NFL caliber backup
Based upon preseason Zappe could of started the season as a backup on many teams, he showed promise. That's why he made the team rather than not. If he looked bad, they could have cut him and sent him to the practice squad with zero risk.

Hoyer is the backup because the average age of the other two QB's is 23/24 year's old and they needed a QB coach as well as a bridge QB... beyond "back up QB" the only other job that has kept Hoyer employed for his long long career has been "bridge QB."

The concern with Zappe is turnovers and how he will react under live fire, not whether he can pass or run the offense. He has the tools, he did it effectively in preseason. Stidham did it in preseason and pissed down his leg under live fire, but we can't live our lives under the presumption every player they being in will suck... even if some here do.

Good point by Lazar:
Don't disagree with this at all.

Zappe may be nowhere near ready, he's certainly not ready to start against the Packer D.

Zappe is an upside wish for me, I want the coaches to think he is ready to start against the Lions the following week after watching him in practice. I don't think it's a given, I trust the coaches know best.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back