Super optimist take, because I just can't give up on a season in September:

L - Packers
W - Lions
W - Browns
W - Bears
W -Jets
L - Colts
W - Jets

We are 6-4.... Mac comes back... 7 games left...

W - Vikings
L - Bills
L - Cards
W - Raiders
W- Bengals
W - Dolphins
L - Bills

10-7 give or take

So the Patriots will do worse with Mac Jones at QB [5-3] than the dubious choices of Hoyer or Zappe [5-2]? You must not like MJ10's chances very much!

I think we should give Hoyer a shot. He is competent enough for us to win a few games against some other bad teams (I think..). Throwing Zappe to the wolves straight away seems like a recipe for disaster.

We’re only three games in. As pessimistic as I am about the team, the season isn’t over. I think putting Zappe out there just to see what happens is like raising the white flag on the season.
I don't think either of them will beat the Packers next Sunday. It's pretty much dealer's choice. The question a lot of people are asking is do you give the start to a QB with no upside left or do you give it to a youngster who might improve if given game experience.

In a way this is similar to Mac Jones vs Cam Newton competition. The difference this year is that Zappe didn't beat out the incumbent in a camp competition. We really don't know what we have here. At least Mac 'earned' the starting nod in 2021.

I'm not bothered either way. I'm curious about what Zappe has to offer, but don't feel like we're a winning team with Mac out regardless of whether it's Hoyer/Zappe. Even if Mac could play next week, medicals be damned, are we confident he wouldn't get injured AGAIN considering how bad our OL has been at protecting him? He's received two injuries in back to back weeks and that OL looks SHAKY in pass protection.

I don't think either of them will beat the Packers next Sunday. It's pretty much dealer's choice. The question a lot of people are asking is do you give the start to a QB with no upside left or do you give it to a youngster who might improve if given game experience.

In a way this is similar to Mac Jones vs Cam Newton competition. The difference this year is that Zappe didn't beat out the incumbent in a camp competition. We really don't know what we have here. At least Mac 'earned' the starting nod in 2021.

I'm not bothered either way. I'm curious about what Zappe has to offer, but don't feel like we're a winning team with Mac out regardless of whether it's Hoyer/Zappe. Even if Mac could play next week, medicals be damned, are we confident he wouldn't get injured AGAIN considering how bad our OL has been at protecting him? He's received two injuries in back to back weeks and that OL looks SHAKY in pass protection.
Don’t get me wrong my curiosity leads me to want to see Zappe get a shot. But I think our best chance of staying afloat until Mac returns is Hoyer. That opinion could quickly shift in the matter of a week or two though…

Hoyer probably gives us the best chance to win now for what that’s worth. Let’s roll with him for a few games and see where we’re at. If the playoffs are out of the question, then it won’t hurt to throw Zappe into the fire and see what we’ve got.

Zappe all the way. a)He might surprise and be good, b) we could use the high pick next year. win win situation.

Zappe’s not ready, at least not vs the Packers D. Hoyer can manage a game and make many of the throws. Unless there’s a medical miracle, I predict Mac is out through the bye week, which is 6 missed games, 8 weeks elapsed time till his next action.

Give it to Zappe so we can land Will Anderson in the draft...

So the Patriots will do worse with Mac Jones at QB [5-3] than the dubious choices of Hoyer or Zappe [5-2]? You must not like MJ10's chances very much!
It has to do with the fact that Hoyer will face mostly bottom of the barrel teams. Mac has to play mostly playoff caliber teams coming straight off injury.

Also this was me being super optimistic, realistically we probably end up 8-9 at best this year.

I have Hoyer par-a-noy-yer

I'm Team Less Filling over Team Tastes Great, but I'll just put this here:

Hoyer can't win. We know that. What's the question again?

Hoyer has been in this system like 8 years between here and Houston. It's gotta be him unless he plays so poorly that we pull him. We could realistically win 4 of the next 6 and get to 5-4 when Mac maybe returns.

If you've been around this forum for the past two decades then you know this thread does not need to exist. Pats Fans always, always, aLwaYs, ALWAYS!! wants the unknown QB. The later they were picked in the draft the better.

He throws a beautiful looking deep ball, just not at all accurate lol.
Was it him that used to beat Tom in the accuracy drills?
I remember 1 of the backups saying Tom was a sore loser always asking for double or nothing, and never getting paid!

Time to hand the reins over to the greatest backup QB this sport has ever seen for the next few weeks.

I stand with Hoyer.

Hoyer right now is the worst quarterback in the nfl and he has perhaps the weakest arm in nfl history

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back