Who is in

• Hoyer

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Zappe

Votes: 102 73.9%
  • Free Agent

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters
Was he really that awful for a 3rd string QB thrust into a game like that ?
He's just not ready yet and against that defense in Lambeau field it was going to be challenging. His pocket awareness isn't where it needs to be and if he's asked to do too much, he's going to be a turnover waiting to happen. We saw it in the preseason.

At this point, he's going to be the last option and then if he has to play, you're going to hold your breath every time he goes back to pass.

Hoyer should be released as soon as he is healthy. His passes had more shake than
Stephanie Abrams rear end and it didn’t look like he was in concussion protocol.

He may have pulled himself from the game, and if he did, it’s time to go.

I HOPE it's Zappe. If nothing else, I just want to see what he can do. We already know Hoyer's story. I don't think there's any Steve Young backing up Montana situation here (that is, an older QB with talent that just needed a chance).

Michael Lombardi said Hoyer's issue is he pisses his pants in the red zone...anti-clutch.
He proved it again yesterday, missing an open man in the red zone.

Give Zappe some burn.
Are you talking about the throw to Henry? Hoyer was getting hit while throwing (which is why that thing looked like a dead duck) plus Henry didn't even get into his break yet. Rham just let the guy walk right in. I don't blame Hoyer for that.

Hoyer-Henry.png

Was he really that awful for a 3rd string QB thrust into a game like that ?

He was 10/15 and one of those incompletions was a drop by Agoholor. He scored a touchdown (and another running TD) and would have at least put some points on the board on a 2nd drive if Isiah Wynn could block anything...

Im not saying he is Tom Brady 2.0 but doesn't seem like a big downgrade on Hoyer...
He wasnt good but context seems to be lacking when you factor in the amount of reps/time he got in week 5. He hits Agholor in stride and we have 6 but Agholor also dropped an easy one. OL, play calling in OT. Zappe wasn't good compared to a regular starter but QB3 aren't supposed to see the field in GB as a backup to the backup.
He's just not ready yet and against that defense in Lambeau field it was going to be challenging. His pocket awareness isn't where it needs to be and if he's asked to do too much, he's going to be a turnover waiting to happen. We saw it in the preseason.

At this point, he's going to be the last option and then if he has to play, you're going to hold your breath every time he goes back to pass.
Sure but Hoyers pocket awareness is and has been garbage too. He does stuff with 15 years experience you see rookies do. And has a history of peeing down his leg recently. It's going to be a bumpy ride with Zappe but you're holding your breath with Hoyer throwing more than 15 times as well.

Ideally we sign a real vet backup and neither start if we're looking to go 4-2 over this stretch. With Mac hopefully coming back in the last two weeks. One or two more losses though and we're talking about the draft in November.

Hoyer starts -> Mac knows his job is safe and feels confident.

Zappe starts (and presumably plays decently) -> Mac feels some pressure that Zappe could push him for the job next season.

I don't know Mac's personality or which of these would be better for his mentality and development, but that would probably be the biggest determining factor for me as the coach.

People watched Zappe play last night, and they are still voting for him?

rofl.gif

And this, folks, is exactly the type of snarky post we should expect from a guy who (A) holds diehard Patriots fans in contempt, (B) spends most of his time anal-retentively logging granular details of another NFL team's activities and (C) has the temerity to suggest he really "knows things" about quarterback play.

Last edited:
People watched Zappe play last night, and they are still voting for him?

rofl.gif
Crazy. Almost like some of us think that a 4th round rookie who has spent most of his time carrying equipment and grabbing water bottles the last 4 months maybe hasn't reached his full potential.

Crazy. Almost like some of us think that a 4th round rookie who has spent most of his time carrying equipment and grabbing water bottles the last 4 months maybe hasn't reached his full potential.

What's crazy is wanting to play the kid, who's not NFL ready, when the season's not dead yet.

What's crazy is wanting to play the kid, who's not NFL ready, when the season's not dead yet.

There might be no choice. But in any case you know zip about what being "NFL ready" really means, dissing a rookie who managed two touchdown drives during a harrowing baptism by fire in Lambeau Field, of all places. That, my pompous friend, is about as ready as it gets for someone nobody expected to see the field this year. He might not yet have full command of the playbook but he's a gamer. PATRIOTS fans here are intrigued and wish him well, whether or not he plays another down as Mac's backup in 2022. Nothing crazy about that at all.

Last edited:

Zappe starts (and presumably plays decently) -> Mac feels some pressure that Zappe could push him for the job next season.

I don't know Mac's personality or which of these would be better for his mentality and development, but that would probably be the biggest determining factor for me as the coach.
Until they let Zappe even attempt to run a full offense, I don’t think Mac would Be worried that his job is in any danger

Hoyer pisses me off. His only job is to be able to translate all that he knows from being on 50 teams in 10 years to be able to handle 1 or 2 games if the starter goes down. But he's only failed in that job the last 5 years. I've always liked him as a guy and a player-coach for the starting QB. And he always looks sharp in preseason, like he can actually move the offense and has a decent arm - but man, he just can't play in real games. So sadly, he's not worth being the backup.

Hoyer pisses me off. His only job is to be able to translate all that he knows from being on 50 teams in 10 years to be able to handle 1 or 2 games if the starter goes down. But he's only failed in that job the last 5 years. I've always liked him as a guy and a player-coach for the starting QB. And he always looks sharp in preseason, like he can actually move the offense and has a decent arm - but man, he just can't play in real games. So sadly, he's not worth being the backup.
I do believe as a mentor in the patriots scheme of things he probably helps Zappe quite a bit and there is considerable value in that. However I agree as a backup quarterback in the game he just isn't good enough.

A lot of pressure there if that stump Wynn was @ RT instead of Cannon: Zappe would have been carted off. The OL picked up the pressure well all things considered Zappe will get better after watching tape.

I'll take #2 please competition brings out the best in some.:cool:

If Axel starts vs the Loins, then we're probably losing;

If Zappy starts vs the Loins, then we're definitely losing.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back