Who is in

• Hoyer

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Zappe

Votes: 102 73.9%
  • Free Agent

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters
Hoyer starts -> Mac knows his job is safe and feels confident.

Zappe starts (and presumably plays decently) -> Mac feels some pressure that Zappe could push him for the job next season.

I don't know Mac's personality or which of these would be better for his mentality and development, but that would probably be the biggest determining factor for me as the coach.
This isn't a Brady/Bledsoe situation. Despite the absurd contractual commitment made to Bledsoe prior to the 2001 season, he had been playing poorly for a very long time. He had had 8 full seasons with the team. Mac is 1 season+ into his career as a franchise quarterback. The team invested a 1st round pick on him so there's no way Zappe is putting any pressure on Mac whatsoever. As soon as Mac's healthy he's starting and Zappe will go back to being inactive assuming Hoyer recovers from his head injury.

Here's what the team should be basing the decision of who starts... 1) health and 2) best chance for the team to win. Impact on a player's psyche isn't a factor.

This isn't a Brady/Bledsoe situation. Despite the absurd contractual commitment made to Bledsoe prior to the 2001 season, he had been playing poorly for a very long time. He had had 8 full seasons with the team. Mac is 1 season+ into his career as a franchise quarterback. The team invested a 1st round pick on him so there's no way Zappe is putting any pressure on Mac whatsoever. As soon as Mac's healthy he's starting and Zappe will go back to being inactive assuming Hoyer recovers from his head injury.

Here's what the team should be basing the decision of who starts... 1) health and 2) best chance for the team to win. Impact on a player's psyche isn't a factor.
Disagree. Mac has been mediocre. In the scenario where Zappe starts and plays decently for a 4th rd rookie in his 1st year, I could definitely see that affecting Mac mentally. The question is, how? Mac's job is certainly safe this season, and almost certainly safe next season. But a good youngin' (maybe Zappe, maybe someone else) could always remind him that he has to earn it everyday.

Disagree. Mac has been mediocre. In the scenario where Zappe starts and plays decently for a 4th rd rookie in his 1st year, I could definitely see that affecting Mac mentally. The question is, how? Mac's job is certainly safe this season, and almost certainly safe next season. But a good youngin' (maybe Zappe, maybe someone else) could always remind him that he has to earn it everyday.
Well then you're saying he's soft. Mac may have someone on his heels one day but it's not going to this season, or next, and it's not ever going to be Zappe.

Well then you're saying he's soft. Mac may have someone on his heels one day but it's not going to this season, or next, and it's not ever going to be Zappe.
Not saying he's soft, I'm saying it could light a fire and provide extra motivation. I have no idea though, that's for the coaches to decide. I'm just saying that I would take that into account when deciding who to start the next few weeks. We can agree to disagree on that.

Superbowl with both of them playing in the backfield at once

Zappe was actually decent in preseason . I am thinking we do a lot more RPO with Zappe and possibly some QB runs as well. 61 TD in a single season is no joke irrespective of type of competition . Go zappe and light the fire in Mac's belly.

? We nearly just beat GB at Lambeau with Zappe replacing an injured Hoyer, but we'd definitely lose at home to the Lions with the kid and a week of preparation?

They're gonna score points on this defense, especially if Swifty & the Sun God are healthy; the question is: will we have a QB & play-caller capable of keeping-up with them?

They're gonna score points on this defense, especially if Swifty & the Sun God are healthy; the question is: will we have a QB & play-caller capable of keeping-up with them?
I take it you think we would have beaten GB if Hoyer hadn't gotten knocked out of the game?

Zappe was actually decent in preseason . I am thinking we do a lot more RPO with Zappe and possibly some QB runs as well. 61 TD in a single season is no joke irrespective of type of competition . Go zappe and light the fire in Mac's belly.
Zappe is slower than Mac, he doesn't seem to have that escapability either. Not sure why we would use him for designed QB runs

Isn't the bottom line that we almost beat GB with Zappe coming off the bench? Will he really be worse against the mighty DET defense?

I take it you think we would have beaten GB if Hoyer hadn't gotten knocked out of the game?

Count me among those who believe Hoyer would've given the Pats a better chance, just because he knows the whole playbook and knows what to be looking for. Make no mistake, Zappe's effort and composure were admirable, but he doesn't see the whole field yet and that comes only through experience. Even the Lions will be able to confuse Bailey in obvious passing situations. Hoyer remains the best option 'til Mac returns.

Count me among those who believe Hoyer would've given the Pats a better chance, just because he knows the whole playbook and knows what to be looking for. Make no mistake, Zappe's effort and composure were admirable, but he doesn't see the whole field yet and that comes only through experience. Even the Lions will be able to confuse Bailey in obvious passing situations. Hoyer remains the best option 'til Mac returns.
That's fair. I'm just trying to coax the captain into saying something positive about the team lol.

I hope the coaches are at least considering Zappe over Hoyer at this point. It's not that Hoyer was bad in the short time he was on the field, but I just have no faith he's going to show us anything we haven't already seen during his current stint here (which is to say, nothing that justifies keeping the #2 job). When he got a chance in 2020, we thought he would at least make better decisions than Cam, and he ended up making rookie mistakes like mismanaging the clock. If your "coach on the field veteran" can't even perform well at the mental stuff, what's the point?

Zappe looked about at the level of Stidham, so I'm not saying he's a gem that needs to get on the field. I just don't see him as a dead end the way Hoyer is, and he showed against Green Bay that he's okay with playing conservatively and knowing his role.

I'd also add that it would be a pretty bad look (and potentially dangerous to Hoyer's long term health) to have him play the week after a concussion given current events.

I think they might have, if the number of opportunities to soil himself in the RZ were as limited as those of Zappy... Axel is ok enough between the 20s; Zappy wasn't even that, especially on 3rd downs, and that's where we lost the game.

I'd also add that it would be a pretty bad look (and potentially dangerous to Hoyer's long term health) to have him play the week after a concussion given current events.

Totally different circumstances.

Totally different circumstances.
Tell that to everyone worried about covering their asses at the top of the organization. Doesn't really matter how it is, only how it looks.

Zappe threw the ball yo wide open receivers and those balls were still slightly off target. He doesn't see yhe field, and he doesn't know the offense.

There is no value in playing Zappe.

Just stop

Zappe threw the ball yo wide open receivers and those balls were still slightly off target. He doesn't see yhe field, and he doesn't know the offense.

There is no value in playing Zappe.

Just stop
Nun I hated the pick at the time wanted another WR but Zappe did pass the Patriots' vaunted interview process with flying colors. That has to count for something when trying to get him up to Game speed.

Nun I hated the pick at the time wanted another WR but Zappe did pass the Patriots' vaunted interview process with flying colors. That has to count for something when trying to get him up to Game speed.
Sure, he is a fine developmental qb, but Hoyer, as much as I hate to say it, gives them a much better chance to win...at least for now

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back