PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we want to see at Training Camp

Reiss' Sunday column discussed LBs but zero mention of Anfernee Jennings.
Foregone conclusion AF is a likely roster cut?

my feeling is that Jennings will be tried out more as an edge rusher than LB. He was pretty good edge guy for Alabama IIRC, but I'm not sure he has the quickness or speed to be a true OLB. Set the edge against the run? I think he'll be good at it. Rush the passer? I hope he will be decent. Drop into coverage, I don't think so

I believe we will see some combinations of Wilson, Mcgrone, McMillan, Bentley Uche and Perkns handling the bulk of the ILB and OLB duties with Judon being a hybrid Edge/OLB player, Also adding to the mix will be some combination of Dugger, Phillips and Peppers to mix and match at the 2nd level depending on the situation.

That is a WHOLE lot of speed at that level and a complete departure of what used to be a hallmark of Patriots LB's of the past 20 years. But as people keep on telling me "the league has changed" and clearly the Pats used this draft to begin the transition of speed to this defense AND offense.

Now I plan on being at most of the open practices once the pads go on, which will likely start on day 3, and what I'll be looking forward to seeing how things look until pregames start. I'll mostly be looking for improvement in all the guys we added last year, Do they seem more comfortable and efficient. Are the receivers running their routes better and are in more sync with Jones. I'll also be looking to see what differences I can determine in both the offenses and defenses. Of course I'll be looking closely at Strange to see if he can hold up to the big guys and use his quickness and speed as a power base to anchor as well as the rest of the draft class.

When the preseason games start we will start to get a better feel for the team and who's looking good and bad and develop our own personal binkies.

BTW- I don't see Thornton having a big impact his year, except in a situational role or on ST's. most WR's need a year to provide impact. I think they have enough depth so they can bring him along slowly, which IMHO will be the best way to maximize his development over the next 5 years.

Still now more than ever the first 4 or so games are now extended preseasons where teams are still finding their ways, so early result both good and bad have to be taken with a grain of salt, so it will be into October before we can get a true feel fo what this team is likely to give us

Perkins is a stiff? STFU CLOWN, YOU DON'T KNOW **** about Perkins.
Shut up, just fkn shut up idiot.

I liked Perkins when we drafted him, and I'm hopeful for his development too, but this feels like WAY too strong a reaction in defense of a player that hasn't actually played yet.

Reiss' Sunday column discussed LBs but zero mention of Anfernee Jennings.
Foregone conclusion AF is a likely roster cut?

I thought McMillan was supposed to be athletic and fast but the report from Reiss there is that he's a thumper and bad in space? He's the opposite of what I thought...

Good times at Patsfans High.

In order to have some depth and pass rush on the outside Jennings needs to emerge. Perkins is a stiff IMO, maybe he possesses some pass rush gene where he provides something as a situational rusher but I don’t see it.

Ronnie… is that you?

Hey genius, if you want someone to see what you wrote you need to hit “reply” to that poster… later I’ll show you how to count to three.

Here’s what I know about Ronnie Perkins… he was given the Foxboro Flu designation and redshirted as a rookie.

Here’s what else I know… he’s not big or strong enough to play defensive end, and he’s not athletic enough to play OLB.

This isn’t college anymore chuckles, but let’s revisit this at the end of this season. I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
I thought McMillan was supposed to be athletic and fast but the report from Reiss there is that he's a thumper and bad in space? He's the opposite of what I thought...
My impression is the same...a faster LB who can move laterally fairly well. 242 lbs is not that big. I guess we shall see.

Regarding Perkins, he has always appeared to be better-suited for a more traditional 3-4/3-3 front with a Real NT sammiched by a pair of big 2-gapping 5-tech DEs to keep him clean of OLmen... I would've taken G/C Quinn Meinerz at 96 that year (heck I would've probably considered him at 77 were it not for RK Productions - I really, Really hope somebody was fired there)... He would've been our starting LG by season's end, thus eliminating the need to use the 29TH overall pick of the draft on a Guard the following year... If Strange69 happened to still be available at say 85 then cool...

my feeling is that Jennings will be tried out more as an edge rusher than LB. He was pretty good edge guy for Alabama IIRC, but I'm not sure he has the quickness or speed to be a true OLB. Set the edge against the run? I think he'll be good at it. Rush the passer? I hope he will be decent. Drop into coverage, I don't think so

I believe we will see some combinations of Wilson, Mcgrone, McMillan, Bentley Uche and Perkns handling the bulk of the ILB and OLB duties with Judon being a hybrid Edge/OLB player, Also adding to the mix will be some combination of Dugger, Phillips and Peppers to mix and match at the 2nd level depending on the situation.

That is a WHOLE lot of speed at that level and a complete departure of what used to be a hallmark of Patriots LB's of the past 20 years. But as people keep on telling me "the league has changed" and clearly the Pats used this draft to begin the transition of speed to this defense AND offense.

Now I plan on being at most of the open practices once the pads go on, which will likely start on day 3, and what I'll be looking forward to seeing how things look until pregames start. I'll mostly be looking for improvement in all the guys we added last year, Do they seem more comfortable and efficient. Are the receivers running their routes better and are in more sync with Jones. I'll also be looking to see what differences I can determine in both the offenses and defenses. Of course I'll be looking closely at Strange to see if he can hold up to the big guys and use his quickness and speed as a power base to anchor as well as the rest of the draft class.

When the preseason games start we will start to get a better feel for the team and who's looking good and bad and develop our own personal binkies.

BTW- I don't see Thornton having a big impact his year, except in a situational role or on ST's. most WR's need a year to provide impact. I think they have enough depth so they can bring him along slowly, which IMHO will be the best way to maximize his development over the next 5 years.

Still now more than ever the first 4 or so games are now extended preseasons where teams are still finding their ways, so early result both good and bad have to be taken with a grain of salt, so it will be into October before we can get a true feel fo what this team is likely to give us
Yes, Jennings will be tried at DE. The staff will try every position for him. Maybe he can contribute at DE. It is his last chance.

I hear you on us expecting to count on the players you named. We are counting on Wilson who is a top STer, and may be good enough to be the #3 ILB (or perhaps it is the untested McGrone as a backup inside).

For me, the real question is OLB. We seem to be really needing to count on Uche and Perkins. I guess if Judon is ever out, we'll just fold our tent and concede.

I liked Perkins when we drafted him, and I'm hopeful for his development too, but this feels like WAY too strong a reaction in defense of a player that hasn't actually played yet.
From an account that joined the forum the same year Perkins was drafted...

Defense, defense and defense.

The offense will be fine (probably after adding a backup OL or two),

It may take half the season before this defense gels, if it ever does. Last year's defense needed some improvement. And now, Hightower, Van Noy and Jackson are gone from that defense. And we should add the effect of the usual injury or two. To improve, we need players who are better than the first half performance of these three players, and who make up for any injuries to come. That really is a tall order.
Godchaux, Guy.... Barmore is our only hope... Not enough beef up front

Im intrigued by the overwhelming Depth at running back.
I will be watching the running backs.

I also feel like this is the end of the road for Asiasi and Keene.
I want to see if they make plays in practice as well as preseason.
End of the road seems like Asiasi and Keene have always been on the side walk we should call them street clothes.:rofl: I prefer the extra Lineman over both.

Would like to see if that Tre Nixon kids for real he's been clicking with Mac during the OTA's and Mini camp form what we have heard. :cool:

Did they do anything to improve the run defense? And with small lbs are they going to get overwhelmed by 300 guards
The run defense suffered after the bye week last year because of a total breakdown in contain and an overall breakdown by the team at large. Runners were shaking defenders out of their boots and defenders were taking terrible angles and making bad decisions in containment. It's not like the DT's were getting pushed all around the field... they weren't. It was the LB'ers, OLB'ers and DE's... they got rid of all the old guys and went with the youth movement.

There's no guarantee that guys like McMillian, Mack Wilson, Uche, McGrone and Jennings will be any better... but at least in the case of the young kids they are faster and more spry. I think in order for this defense to be really good Uche, McGrone and Jennings have to contribute something.

I think they can get tackles from McMillan and Mack Wilson but neither is a great athlete, they're more heady smart players who did more in college with less.

We all want to make major changes in the 2021 Offense because of their collapse in the last half of the season. We seem to want to ignore the many injuries, including those placed on IR, and those just playing with injuries. We were a playoff team. Would we have won more game with Jones healthy?

The run defense suffered after the bye week last year because of a total breakdown in contain and an overall breakdown by the team at large. Runners were shaking defenders out of their boots and defenders were taking terrible angles and making bad decisions in containment. It's not like the DT's were getting pushed all around the field... they weren't. It was the LB'ers, OLB'ers and DE's... they got rid of all the old guys and went with the youth movement.

There's no guarantee that guys like McMillian, Mack Wilson, Uche, McGrone and Jennings will be any better... but at least in the case of the young kids they are faster and more spry. I think in order for this defense to be really good Uche, McGrone and Jennings have to contribute something.

I think they can get tackles from McMillan and Mack Wilson but neither is a great athlete, they're more heady smart players who did more in college with less.
Ill go with they dont have good run stuffers.... Godchaux cant hold his spot... They need a nosetackle and they didn't get one

I don’t see a world where Bentley and Raekwon McMillan play side by side. Both are supposed to be thumpers in the middle

McMillan was the third-fastest LB in his draft (and incidentally Jabrill Peppers was the fastest although he transitioned to safety).

Ill go with they dont have good run stuffers.... Godchaux cant hold his spot... They need a nosetackle and they didn't get one
Carl Davis is a great run stuffer and good athlete, his only issue has been staying healthy. The Pats only used him 12 or so plays a game situationally to spell Godchaux on short downs and goal line which works, he just needs to stay healthy. Barmore holds up against the run very well, as does Guy. I think they're getting a little old and thin here but if healthy this group will be fine.

Carl Davis is a great run stuffer and good athlete,
Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

his only issue has been staying healthy. The Pats only used him 12 or so plays a game situationally to spell Godchaux on short downs and goal line which works, he just needs to stay healthy. Barmore holds up against the run very well, as does Guy. I think they're getting a little old and thin here but if healthy this group will be fine.

McMillan was the third-fastest LB in his draft (and incidentally Jabrill Peppers was the fastest although he transitioned to safety).
McMillan ran a 4.61 one forty... decent but nothing amazing, his 4.39 shuttle and 7.15 three cone were nothing to write home about but were decent also... the fact that he did this at 241 pounds makes it a little less impressive. Also are we just ignoring how he has only stayed healthy one time in four years and that was three years ago? He's torn his ACL twice... he's a longshot.

Cam McGrone runs a 4.4 forty according to his Michigan coaches and looks the part in his highlights, Uche also jumps off the screen in flashes. I'd love to see a redemption story from McMillan but also have to remain realistic.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back